Next Gen Busses

Missing20K

Well... yes and no.

The playing around with scale in representational art has been with humanity since the beginning of humanity with the making of miniatures and colossals. Certainly, changes of scale can be done for practical reasons: to fit on a small wall or scroll, or to be able to be seen from a great distance. But the change of scale can also be done for impact, whether they are collectible miniatures, or a giant statue of your tyrant of choice that you're forced to pass under.

Koons takes the ancient practice of enlargement and the novelty he imparts is photo-realism rather than a granite representation, and the use of mundane objects. It's a commentary on the traditional colossae and a post-modern wink (and copyright infringement at times). That's what makes what he does as "art."

What Disney does is really quite similar. It blows up its brand to make them literally larger than life. Sure, they could have has a 5 inch Woody doll or a 2 foot Tramp statue scattered around, but, the oversized statues were meant for impact, which is the definition of art. Using them at resorts that are dedicated to pop themes: cinema and rock/sports stars, it is en pointe.

Bringing this back to the new bus wraps, the oversized portraits are purposely oversized for that same kind of impact. And then this becomes a case of de gustibus, non disputandum.
Yes, the manipulation of scale can create a stark impact on a human viewing the object. The manipulation of scale, alone, does not impart art onto the object.

As far as Koons in particular, he rose in the art world prior to his creation of large scale objects. His Inflatable Flower and Bunny (which propelled him to stardom) were not exaggerations of their typical size. Koons began, and continues to, create artwork that does not use the manipulation of scale as it's primary distinction. He just became the world art superstar that he is because of the Celebration series that depicted ordinary objects in large scales with virtually unblemished materials. He also has stated that there is no real commentary for his work. There are no hidden meanings or deeper readings. (For what it's worth, I'm not a huge Koons fan, I think it's fairly hackneyed and superficial, his earliest work notwithstanding).

I agree that using oversized statues and props is within the context of the Value and other areas, but I would disagree that their visual and spatial impact alone allows them to rise to the level of "art." But I concede that when viewing some of Disney's oversized accoutrements in comparison to Koons works, one can certainly draw correlations in how the viewer experiences each respective object.

And to bring it back to the bus, as you've stated that they are "matters of taste", well one could theoretically boil all of themed experiences, and in turn, all of life in general, into such "matters of taste". But what makes life so enjoyable, is the deeper layers of meanings we can all individually, and/or collectively, place upon such trivial "matters of taste". :)

Having said that, these new bus wraps are in really poor taste. :D (Even though in all honesty, it's a minor squabble in the grander scheme of Disney attempting to remove each and every dollar from my wallet).

bugsbunny

My main concern is the USB charging ports. Getting on and off the buses will be hilarious......well more like frustrating. OH, I forgot my charger! Let me run back onto the bus against the flow of people getting off because YOU just don't understand how important it is for ME to get my charger I left plugged in because I was too busy SnapChatting. :joyfull: The other soon-to-be common scenario will be the family of 7 that decides to just stand there in the aisle while they wait for some family member to after the bus has already stopped, unplug, and decide that their plug needs to go 6 layers deep into someone's backpack, but has to be done right now while everyone wants to get off the bus.

Hate to be Bah Humbug, but I'm not seeing much value in adding USB charging for a 10 minute bus ride 🤷‍♂️

Cmdr_Crimson

Who said, "no characters on the buses"? A few people simply pointed out that character implementation could be slightly more creative than just a huge headshot.

If they did it the way they had done the Wrap for Disney Infinity would make it a little more understandable..
DIB690580.jpg

Having a Pixar, Muppet, Star Wars, Marvel, Disney Classics, Princesses, Heroes, Villians, Run the gamut of them look like they are sitting and looking out the windows could have been much easier...
Bus-Transportation_Full_19295.jpg

Last edited:

phillip9698

Yes, branding/marketing. One simple design with an oversized point of focus is more effective than a “scene.”

It would seem that the last place you would need "effective" branding and marketing of Mickey Mouse and the crew is on Disney World property. Is anyone staying on site at Disney World thinking "Wow i totally forgot all about Mickey Mouse until i saw that giant head on the side of a bus".

Tom Morrow

To all those mocking us who dislike the design: no, this isn't really that big of a deal and no one will be cancelling visits over it. It's just the latest in Bob Iger/Chapek's long parade of slapping characters on everything. Failing attraction or show? Add characters. New nighttime show? Use characters. New attractions? Must be character-based! New transportation designs? How about something classy, like the iconic monorails? NO! F-U! Characters!!!

It cannot be stated enough - the success of WDW, the reason it became the number one vacation destination in the world - is that for it's first 35 years the focus was on a unique and high quality, and dare I say classy experiences. The characters have always been there but outside of Fantasyland were always more of a supplement to the main draw. They've always been pushed heavily in marketing and enticed kids and families to visit, and sure, they pacify the young ones, but they are not why the WDW experience resonated so deeply with so many.

I get annoyed when talking with adults who have never visited WDW or only went as small children and don't remember it. They assume WDW is "a tacky tourist trap" where you're relentlessly bombarded with characters and branding at all times, and that it is only a place for parents to take their children. Any lazy parody of WDW will portray it exactly like this, because it's low hanging fruit. This has never been true, but every lazy shoe-horned character branding inches the experience closer to those parodies.

starri42

If they removed the exterior (outside) theme from resorts such as Animal Kingdom Lodge, Poly, etc and replaced it with huge character portraits, would it detract from the experience you have in your actual room? Probly not, but there is a mutual connection between the two that creates layers.
That's kind of an extreme, though. You're talking about a resort where you might spend anywhere from the night to an entire day versus being on a bus for fifteen minutes. And it's not like you can see them anywhere but on the roads. They're not free-range buses roaming the Animal Kingdom savanna.

Tom Morrow

brand new buses aren't cheap. you've simply chosen to dislike something. that doesn't make anything about it cheap
Hmm yes, by "cheapened" I obviously meant the price of the bus itself (which is still pocket change for Disney) and not the wraps which are the topic of the thread.

Also fun fact: "cheapened" has more than one meaning beyond "price": https://www.dictionary.com/browse/cheapen
to decrease the quality or beauty of; make inferior or vulgar:She cheapened the dress by adding a fringe to it.

Goofyernmost

And they're wrapped around brand new buses. Pretty sure those aren't cheap
I didn't say they were cheap, but, you cannot include the cost of the decoration with the cost of the bus. They were going to get the bus and then wrap it. If you just talking about the wrap, you're correct they aren't cheap, but, they cost a lot less then back when an artist had to paint the images on the buses.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
you can talk around your opinion all you want, but your opinion doesn't equal fact as many here seem to wish was the case. but continue getting mad at a bus, by all means 😂
Why do you keep repeating that people are "mad"? Before that, you kept repeating , "get over it". You do realize that is high level obsessive compulsive behavior, right? That's a learned behavior, to relieve anxiety.

Your use of these forums as an outlet is an indicator of an active coping mechanism. Nobody here is mad at you. It's ok.

TrainsOfDisney

Figment fan... we get your point. Goodness.

The design of anything is subjective. I thought the red and silver design was an improvement over the white and purple. I think this design is a step down. It’s like discussing the new castle paint at Disneyland, I like it, but I see why some people think it’s a bit over the top. It doesn’t mean I need explain to people that Disney paid money to paint the castle, or that they shouldn’t care as long as the castle is standing it still does its job and only kids care about the castle etc.

Tony the Tigger

You mean like the minnie car service? Where the name and style is a cute play on 'minnie mouse'? That's a far better fit to the classic Disney. Hell, apply that concept to the buses where the paint and panels somehow fit or projects the character's iconic design elements. Instead of 'PLACE BIG HEAD HERE'

They did. The Minnie bus looks like the Minnie van (plus a face.)

It would seem that the last place you would need "effective" branding and marketing of Mickey Mouse and the crew is on Disney World property. Is anyone staying on site at Disney World thinking "Wow i totally forgot all about Mickey Mouse until i saw that giant head on the side of a bus".

The buses drive where non-WDW traffic is as well.

Can’t miss those characters on the road. That’s effective branding, IMO.

And it lasts x number of years until the next maintenance or upgrade. Nothing is permanent. Roll with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom