New York Times article claims flight simulation will be part of upcoming Avatar land

I see the dots, but I'm not sure if this technology/patent is necessarily the answer. I'm no expert, and my review of the patent was only cursory, but it would appear to be a very complex piece of machinery, possibly prone to break-down or at best difficult to implement and maintain. I think there are several other ideas already out there that have a much better potential.

Personally, I think they should build a hybrid type of wing coaster indoors. I say hybrid because I think they could combine the use of HD video projection, animatronics and replica illuminesent flora like what was in the movie on Pandora to create a ride that would re-create the flight of the Ikran (Mountain Banshee).

Something like this, only indoors. The roof would be transparent to allow light in during the day, but at night time, it would be mostly dark except for the glowing plant life, and maybe an occasional encounter with other animals.

hsk2a9fucjq9000kqd0rmh.jpg

1f8kq1nd24kivth7ki0019.jpg

Now THAT would be AWESOME! :D

tl77

Has there been any official word on where Avatar-land is going to be in AK? I thought it was going in the spot originally set aside for the Tiger River Rapids, but someone mentioned it would be behind Camp Mickey Minnie (the original Beastly Kingdom site)

Captain Chaos

Has there been any official word on where Avatar-land is going to be in AK? I thought it was going in the spot originally set aside for the Tiger River Rapids, but someone mentioned it would be behind Camp Mickey Minnie (the original Beastly Kingdom site)

Lee said if Avatar does get built, CMM is the area chosen...

ctxak98

I would rate Spiderman way ahead of Everest and TSMM... I enjoy TSMM and love Everest, but Spiderman tops them both... But that isn't what we were saying... I said Disney has yet to build a ride to top Spiderman... TSMM was meant to be their answer, and if that is their answer, time to go back to the drawing board because you cannot compare the two.. Spiderman is 100 times better than TSMM...

Yah I know what your saying but I am just saying I think Everest does top it....even without the yeti :lookaroun

Captain Chaos

Yah I know what your saying but I am just saying I think Everest does top it....even without the yeti :lookaroun

Not even close... :) I can go to Six Flags for a coaster, take the theme away and that is all Everest is.. but I cannot go to Six Flags for a ride like Spiderman...

NoChesterHester

Camp Minnie Mickey makes perfect sense:

1. Visibility: Lots of theme parks have that oh my god moment when you get out of the car... THAT is it - you point across the parking lot!

By putting it at the front of the park a mega structure would be very visible and could really give them the draw.

2. It keeps the park balanced. It it was between Africa and Asia the park would be very back loaded causing lots of congestion problems. Now you would have the four tent poles at the four corners (Dinosaur, Safari, Everest, Catty Blue People).

3. If the park were EVER to justify evening hours the majority of guests could occupy the park away from the night time animal enclosures. Dinoland, Pandora, and parts of Asia could remain fully operational well into the night.

3b. If a night time show were ever added, it could be added to James Cameron's Land of 12' Blue People at the front of the park. This would make egress after the show far easier then people traipsing through the uneven trails all the way back behind Asia after park close.

ctxak98

Not even close... :) I can go to Six Flags for a coaster, take the theme away and that is all Everest is.. but I cannot go to Six Flags for a ride like Spiderman...

...I can see you LOVE your spiderman LOL. however We are all entitled to out own opinion but I know a LOT of people who actually dont like it because of sickness issues with 3D and simulators. OH WELL! Agree to disagree. :)

Captain Chaos

...I can see you LOVE your spiderman LOL. however We are all entitled to out own opinion but I know a LOT of people who actually dont like it because of sickness issues with 3D and simulators. OH WELL! Agree to disagree. :)

You can say the same with Everest, a lot of people don't like it because 1) hate coasters, 2) get sick on thrill rides, 3) etc. etc. etc..

GrumpyFan

I would be so pumped for a multi dimensional coaster. It's the last thing DAK needs, but I would love it.

Care to explain? Why is it the last thing DAK needs? I think it could be one of two or three different attractions added as part of Pandora/Avatar.

C.FERNIE

Regardless of whether i like avator or not (i bought it after it was announced avator was coming to ak, its still in its box untouched), i think anything the imagineers come up with will be brillant! I dont think you have to like said franchise to enjoy the immersive enviroment or the movies.... i think it will be awesome! and i think ak needs it ! :wave:

JT3000

Disney's answer to Spiderman was Toy Story Midway Mania.

If I wanted to put wheels on my couch and make someone move it back and forth while I play a 3D Wii game on multiple television screens... I would have an answer to Spider-Man in the comfort of my own living room! Why didn't I think of this before Disney!?!?

IWant2GoNow

This idea was presented to imagineering a few years back at the ImagiNations design contest. Not Potter, but the idea of suspending a kuka style arm from a coaster track. There was a very specific reason that it had to be a kuka style arm and couldn't just be a simple suspended coaster, but I can't divulge.

That's interesting. I take it this project still may come to light since you're not able to speak about it? Or at the very least has just been shelved for the time being?

If you can't say anything, I understand but thank you just the same for the neat tidbit of info.

RSoxNo1

Care to explain? Why is it the last thing DAK needs? I think it could be one of two or three different attractions added as part of Pandora/Avatar.

For the most part, the rides at the Animal Kingdom are limiting, by height, intensity, or appeal. The Avatar theme very well may be limiting as well, but what I think the park needs more than anything are some D-ticket dark rides to stretch out the day. A couple of fun house/Fantasyland style C tickets would be much better for the park than say Primeval Whirl.

A Multi Dimensional Coaster is incredibly limiting because by virtue of the ride system it would have to be the most intense attraction in a Central Florida theme park. Some of my suggestions for the Animal Kingdom would be as follows:
  • Keep the Chester and Hester concept but remove Primeval Whirl in favor of a dark ride that tells the same story (mocking the Dinosaur story) and could be a C-ticket on the scale of a Fantasyland dark ride, or it could be an E-ticket and use up more space and use the Pooh's Hunny Hunt technology
  • Close Dinosaur for a substantial refurbishment. Add new effects, replace the storyline, add more dinosaurs. When it's reopened it could be called Countdown to Extinction
  • Put another dark ride in between Dinosaur and Chester and Hester's Dinosaur treasures. I'm thinking an omnimover that takes you through other extinct animals. There's a narrow spot for an entrance but the show building can be set back
  • Add an indoor Animal walk through and an attraction in the area behind Finding Nemo the Musical. Filling the lake and removing the Discovery River Boats service area will probably be necessary. This will become a small Australia land.
  • Extend Kali River Rapids with a new section before the clear cutting scene. This would require a second lift hill on the attraction, and probably moving (or going over) an access road
  • I hate to say it, but I think the Maharajah Jungle Trek has to close at some point. It's current real estate is too valuable and it can be moved further back into the plot North of Asia with a more favorable layout. Doing this would be a way to add Pandas to the park, they can be on the same trail as a new Tiger exhibit.
  • Change the train layout, or remove it entirely. An option would be moving the train yard and having an entrance in Asia near the newly created opening (after removing Maharajah Jungle Trek) on the southwest side of the Asia plot
  • Move Festival of the Lion King to the area where the Africa train station is
  • Use the Beastly Kingdom plot as an area to house a collection of mythical creatures. These can be from our own mythology, James Cameron's mythology, Jules Verne's mythology or perhaps since this is all hypothetical, Stan Lee's mythology
  • Have a major refurbishment to Expedition Everest that would add new effects and fix broken effects
  • Replace It's Tough to be a Bug with another animal walk through that's both indoors and outdoors

Obviously, this is all incredibly far fetched and nothing more than my own fantasies. It involves moving a lot of things around which Disney isn't normally inclined to do. What this also accomplishes is it presents an easier way to access the huge area north of Asia, perhaps for a nighttime show or another land. I can also see the possibility of additional expansion over Discovery River on the pathway from Discovery Island to Africa.

GrumpyFan

For the most part, the rides at the Animal Kingdom are limiting, by height, intensity, or appeal. The Avatar theme very well may be limiting as well, but what I think the park needs more than anything are some D-ticket dark rides to stretch out the day. A couple of fun house/Fantasyland style C tickets would be much better for the park than say Primeval Whirl.

I don't disagree with you. The Avatar theme is troublesome at best, and in my opinion, marks somewhat of a departure from the original design and creative theming of the park, but then Camp Minnie Mickey was also. A couple of omnimover or boat ride thru type attractions with high and reliable thruput would certainly help this park.

A Multi Dimensional Coaster is incredibly limiting because by virtue of the ride system it would have to be the most intense attraction in a Central Florida theme park.

Not sure I follow you. Disney has other high intensity thrill rides, if you count ToT and RnR, and maybe even EE. Why would building a coaster like this be limiting? Besides, if they built it, that doesn't necessarily mean it would be extreme thrill. You keep referring to this as "multi-dimensional", yet the B&M Wing Coasters are not generally referred to like that. I may be splitting hairs, but that term is typically only used for the Arrow/S&S coasters where the seats rotate separately from the train, which the B&M trains do not.

Nice list of suggestions though. I agree with several of them, but as you stated it is pretty far fetched and extreme. I think there are many things they could do would be far less drastic and yet still make a big impact, some of which I have written about on my blog.

RSoxNo1

I don't disagree with you. The Avatar theme is troublesome at best, and in my opinion, marks somewhat of a departure from the original design and creative theming of the park, but then Camp Minnie Mickey was also. A couple of omnimover or boat ride thru type attractions with high and reliable thruput would certainly help this park.

Not sure I follow you. Disney has other high intensity thrill rides, if you count ToT and RnR, and maybe even EE. Why would building a coaster like this be limiting? Besides, if they built it, that doesn't necessarily mean it would be extreme thrill. You keep referring to this as "multi-dimensional", yet the B&M Wing Coasters are not generally referred to like that. I may be splitting hairs, but that term is typically only used for the Arrow/S&S coasters where the seats rotate separately from the train, which the B&M trains do not.

Nice list of suggestions though. I agree with several of them, but as you stated it is pretty far fetched and extreme. I think there are many things they could do would be far less drastic and yet still make a big impact, some of which I have written about on my blog.

I didn't realize that the coaster you showed was not a multi-dimensional coaster, my apologies. I want a themed X2 but that's what I'm referring to as something that would be uber intense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom