New York Times article claims flight simulation will be part of upcoming Avatar land

wedenterprises

What about a ride like HPatFJ, but instead the KUKA arm hangs suspended down from the track? I'm sure it would be possible, but could that work for something Avatar related?

This idea was presented to imagineering a few years back at the ImagiNations design contest. Not Potter, but the idea of suspending a kuka style arm from a coaster track. There was a very specific reason that it had to be a kuka style arm and couldn't just be a simple suspended coaster, but I can't divulge.

DocMcHulk

This idea was presented to imagineering a few years back at the ImagiNations design contest. Not Potter, but the idea of suspending a kuka style arm from a coaster track. There was a very specific reason that it had to be a kuka style arm and couldn't just be a simple suspended coaster, but I can't divulge.

Monsters Inc coaster?

GrumpyFan

You guys are grasping at straws...

WDI has hundreds of patents, both approved and pending. However, just because they patent something does not mean they will build it. Quite often the patents are for ideas that came out of WDI, but weren't ever prototyped, yet they wanted to protect the intellectual property from being stolen. I have read nothing that would seem to indicate the aforementioned patent was intended to be used for Avatar. If you look thru the pending patents though, there are a number of others that could easily be adapted and themed for use in more than one attraction for Avatar or many other themes.

DocMcHulk

Which proves they still haven't topped Spiderman... TSMM is OK for what it is... But it is not Spiderman... not even close... So if that is their answer, then need to go back tot he drawing board...

Agreed. I finally got to ride both on my trip a few weeks ago. Both are really great rides in their own ways. But TSMM is no where near Spiderman.

saxamoophone

Can you explain more what Soarin meets Potter actually means? I am having trouble combining the two attractions in my mind. I am sure you have actually seen the plans, so maybe you could help us outsiders get a better feel for this new and groundbreaking experience?

Think King Kong has a love child with Soarin.

It would have the movements possible in Soarin', but move along a track ala King Kong.

Just like Harry Potter, there would be "real" scenes, and "movie" screens.

This could be cool. I needs to be cool. Spiderman-HD and Harry Potter are the best rides in Orlando ( besides the classics of course ). Remember the first time you went on Test Track? Tower of Tower?

Soarin', FTE, Toy Story Mania, and Everest are "cool" but not great. We need a true E-Ticket at WDW.

Captain Chaos

Agreed. I finally got to ride both on my trip a few weeks ago. Both are really great rides in their own ways. But TSMM is no where near Spiderman.

Not even close... Like I said, if that is their answer, try again... I enjoy TSMM but to say that was there answer is laughable... or pathetic... Take your pick...

orky8

The NYT article states "simulates flight" not simulator.

Umm, even more proof to my point, eh? Especially the quote you extracted... There is a patent out there for a ride vehicle that simulates flight. I don't know anything what they have planned for Avatarland (other than that this whole concept of Avatar at AK makes me want to :hurl:)

orky8

You guys are grasping at straws...

WDI has hundreds of patents, both approved and pending. However, just because they patent something does not mean they will build it. Quite often the patents are for ideas that came out of WDI, but weren't ever prototyped, yet they wanted to protect the intellectual property from being stolen. I have read nothing that would seem to indicate the aforementioned patent was intended to be used for Avatar. If you look thru the pending patents though, there are a number of others that could easily be adapted and themed for use in more than one attraction for Avatar or many other themes.

Normally, I would agree with you 100%, but this time, I have a funny feeling about that patent.

DocMcHulk

Normally, I would agree with you 100%, but this time, I have a funny feeling about that patent.

eh, I never read too much into patents, no matter how incredible they are. It's just an organization protecting their intellectual property. You don't want the people who designed it to leave and use it elsewhere.

JCtheparrothead

If you read into the details on this patent there is some very real correlations to developing a ride on a Banshee or one of the Copters from Avatar. There is some deep description of allowing the guest vehicle to drop and pitch more than your average simulator. It also leads me to believe that the building housing and attraction like this is going to be huge...if they are going for the WOW effect. Regardless, if this is what the NYT is referring to I am in.

Thanks for digging this up.

Captain Neo

I was also reading that the new Pirates of the Caribbean ride for Shanghai Disneyland will be all screens instead of AA"s as well. The Imagineers logic is that why build Johnny Depp AA's when you can have the real guy showing up on a screen to interact with guests.

I can't help but wonder if we will EVER see an Audio Animatronic heavy ride at Walt Disney World ever again after Little Mermaid.

GrumpyFan

The patent was filed in June of 2010, over a year before it was announced that Disney and Cameron were bringing Avatar to the park(s).

I'm not saying it couldn't be used, just that it's not related to them bringing Avatar to the parks.

GrumpyFan

I was also reading that the new Pirates of the Caribbean ride for Shanghai Disneyland will be all screens instead of AA"s as well. The Imagineers logic is that why build Johnny Depp AA's when you can have the real guy showing up on a screen to interact with guests.

I can't help but wonder if we will EVER see an Audio Animatronic heavy ride at Walt Disney World ever again after Little Mermaid.

And, so another rumor gets perpetuated....

I assume you were referring to the Screamscape rumor? If so, go back and re-read it. While I like Screamscape and read their site often, he clearly states that much of his information is rumored, and not always verifiable. But, also, in that mention of the new Pirates for Shanghai, he said "the ride may heavily favor projection based show scenes rather than rely on animatronics", which is not the same as your saying it will be all screens!

It's true, WDI has gotten away from heavy use of animatronics, but that doesn't mean they will stop using them altogether. I think (hope) they will measure the scene and story carefully and then decide to use the best medium available, whether it be animatronic, screen or some other combination thereof.

ctxak98

Not even close... Like I said, if that is their answer, try again... I enjoy TSMM but to say that was there answer is laughable... or pathetic... Take your pick...

I like the spiderman ride but Its not incredible to me....But I do like it. Although you really cant compare Everest to Spiderman...if I had to choose I would say everest is better and way more fun...and that came out later then that. But going by technology wise spiderman and potter are high up...Although TSMM is up there too. :)

orky8

The patent was filed in June of 2010, over a year before it was announced that Disney and Cameron were bringing Avatar to the park(s).

I'm not saying it couldn't be used, just that it's not related to them bringing Avatar to the parks.

Again, I agree. The patent was certainly pre-Avatar. BUT, I believe this patent is more than just your normal "hey I have an idea so lets file a patent." Avatar (if it moves forward), could be a good place to put this new technology AND the NYT has said a ride is in the works that simulates flight AND the patent depicts technology that simulates flight AND an insider has said this technology is like combining Soarin and HP. I'm just connecting the dots -- I'm not saying that patent was because of Avatar, just that an Avatar concept may be using the technology depicted in that patent. We agree, though -- Patent came first, and with no real ride necessarily in mind.

GrumpyFan

I see the dots, but I'm not sure if this technology/patent is necessarily the answer. I'm no expert, and my review of the patent was only cursory, but it would appear to be a very complex piece of machinery, possibly prone to break-down or at best difficult to implement and maintain. I think there are several other ideas already out there that have a much better potential.

Personally, I think they should build a hybrid type of wing coaster indoors. I say hybrid because I think they could combine the use of HD video projection, animatronics and replica illuminesent flora like what was in the movie on Pandora to create a ride that would re-create the flight of the Ikran (Mountain Banshee).

Something like this, only indoors. The roof would be transparent to allow light in during the day, but at night time, it would be mostly dark except for the glowing plant life, and maybe an occasional encounter with other animals.

hsk2a9fucjq9000kqd0rmh.jpg

1f8kq1nd24kivth7ki0019.jpg

Captain Chaos

I like the spiderman ride but Its not incredible to me....But I do like it. Although you really cant compare Everest to Spiderman...if I had to choose I would say everest is better and way more fun...and that came out later then that. But going by technology wise spiderman and potter are high up...Although TSMM is up there too. :)

I would rate Spiderman way ahead of Everest and TSMM... I enjoy TSMM and love Everest, but Spiderman tops them both... But that isn't what we were saying... I said Disney has yet to build a ride to top Spiderman... TSMM was meant to be their answer, and if that is their answer, time to go back to the drawing board because you cannot compare the two.. Spiderman is 100 times better than TSMM...

Glasgow

Man, really excited about this. I haven't seen Avatar so I feel like I'm going into this project with an open mind and don't have any preconceived notions. I don't understand anyone that writes off the project simply for the subject matter - how does that affect how good the attraction will be? *puzzled*

Anyway, I too prefer Spiderman to TSMM but lets be fair - the two are directed towards different audiences. DHS needed a family style ride to bring ALL members of the family towards that end of the park. Spiderman is much more intense and is probably my favorite overall ride other than maybe IJA (ok, I haven't been on Forbidden Journey yet).

I think WDW is ready to put in a serious E-ticket into AvLand tho. Something that combines screens and real life action (ala Spiderman) but incorporating new tech - hanging indoor coaster? LIM? Really looking forward to this one!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom