New York Times article claims flight simulation will be part of upcoming Avatar land

MAF

...and this is what's supposed to be the next generation of theme park attractions? More screens? :brick:

Theme Parkitect

Flight simulator again! Didn't we all agree that is what ruined Horizons? Why do we need another simulator. We have an simulator in the Star Wars ride, Hang glider in Sorin, Rocket in Mission Space. My goodness, get to something different and unique. This can't be just another motion simulation. It has to be as different and as impactful as The Wizarding World of HP. I suspect that if they break ground in 2014 and are done with the entire land by 2015, we aren't going to see all that much. FL expansion has taken much longer then that and it was just a land expansion.

Actually, they are supposed to break ground next year, or at least that's what I've heard through the grapevine... And remember. Disneyland was built in only a year! :)

NoChesterHester

I'm probably alone in this thinking, but my imagination is most excited by the idea of an omni-mover darkride through the Pandora forest at night. I love thrill rides, and can't decide what ride system they'll be using, but I would love to go through the scene from the film when Neytiri and Jake run through the bio-luminescent forest. It just looks so beautiful and the possibilites for a darkride have me salivating!

We don't have enough omnimovers at WDW for your liking?

And people complain we have too many flight simulator attractions???

NoChesterHester

Actually, they are supposed to break ground next year, or at least that's what I've heard through the grapevine... And remember. Disneyland was built in only a year! :)

New construction nowadays takes far longer. This is a two year construction project if the stars aligned and they worked day and night. Three years is far more likely.

worldfanatic

Disney's heard all the talk that Universal has taken ride technology to the next level with Harry Potter (which is true, Forbidden Journey is unmatched).

They've also heard the criticism for choosing an Avatar expansion.

There's simply no way they're going to attempt anything less than "OFF THE CHARTS AMAZING" with this ride.

And James Cameron seems to be a fairly over-the-top himself.

The term "Flight simulation" is very vague.
Watch and see.
This is gonna be something very special.

NoChesterHester

Disney's heard all the talk that Universal has taken ride technology to the next level with Harry Potter (which is true, Forbidden Journey is unmatched).

There's simply no way they're going to attempt anything less than "OFF THE CHARTS AMAZING" with this ride.

Watch and see.

Gives me hope.

celluloid

you are assuming it's a traditional 'motion sim'... The plans are far from that.. this is more like soarin meets potter as far as the technology invovled..

Honestly, once properly executed (see how confident I am? ;) ) this will easily top the potter experience that is in place, and the new e ticket that is rumored to be coming soon..

IF properly executed I would think a ride from the biggest theme park company in the world should indeed top a ride from its closest competitor of that sort of entertainment that was built in 2010. This attraction will not even debut until 2015 so topping an experience that opened 5 years prior when you are Disney should not be something to really brag about, although I am still putting some doubt into the properly executed part.

And this is going by the Forbidden Journey and Wizarding World Universal revealed in 2010 not what new large scale attraction Universal is plotting for the studio park that will be open before Avatar. That will be the more comparable interest.

cookiee_munster

still not plussed with the avatar franchise making its way to animal kingdom, but hey ho.

i have faith in cameron though. he was involved in the development of the sub that was created for him to go down to the mariana trench. he's already stated that he's not wanting to work on any more films other than avatar so hopefully he'll have a big involvement for the development of the land.

IWant2GoNow

What about a ride like HPatFJ, but instead the KUKA arm hangs suspended down from the track? I'm sure it would be possible, but could that work for something Avatar related?

Captain Chaos

IF properly executed I would think a ride from the biggest theme park company in the world should indeed top a ride from its closest competitor of that sort of entertainment that was built in 2010. This attraction will not even debut until 2015 so topping an experience that opened 5 years prior when you are Disney should not be something to really brag about, although I am still putting some doubt into the properly executed part.

And this is going by the Forbidden Journey and Wizarding World Universal revealed in 2010 not what new large scale attraction Universal is plotting for the studio park that will be open before Avatar. That will be the more comparable interest.

Let us not forget, Disney still hasn't topped Spiderman... And Spiderman has been open for how long now???

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
you are assuming it's a traditional 'motion sim'... The plans are far from that.. this is more like soarin meets potter as far as the technology invovled..

Honestly, once properly executed (see how confident I am? ;) ) this will easily top the potter experience that is in place, and the new e ticket that is rumored to be coming soon..

Can you explain more what Soarin meets Potter actually means? I am having trouble combining the two attractions in my mind. I am sure you have actually seen the plans, so maybe you could help us outsiders get a better feel for this new and groundbreaking experience?

orky8

Can you explain more what Soarin meets Potter actually means? I am having trouble combining the two attractions in my mind. I am sure you have actually seen the plans, so maybe you could help us outsiders get a better feel for this new and groundbreaking experience?

Look at the patent filings posted earlier in this thread, that should help give you an idea as to the proposed ride vehicle. There are lots of drawings in the patent...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Look at the patent filings posted earlier in this thread, that should help give you an idea as to the proposed ride vehicle. There are lots of drawings in the patent...

I have looked through the patent. Does not really appear to be an offspring of a Soarin meets Potter though.

Also, the original "insider" I quoted did not say that those patents had anything to do with Avatar.

And from all I can tell, all StitchKingdom is doing, is, guessing that the patent may have something to do with Avatar. Hardly a confirmation.

orky8

I have looked through the patent. Does not really appear to be an offspring of a Soarin meets Potter though.

Also, the original "insider" I quoted did not say that those patents had anything to do with Avatar.

And from all I can tell, all StitchKingdom is doing, is, guessing that the patent may have something to do with Avatar. Hardly a confirmation.

I know nothing specific about Avatarland, but I could envision using that ride system as a glider-type vehicle (ala soarin), instead of the more cable-car vehicle depicted. That glider can be transported through show-scenes, including a large 3D theaters (similar to how I understand Potter is). So, I'm picturing using the glider/patent device instead of the Kuka arm, but otherwise same concept.

The confirmations, I think are the NYT article mentioning flight simulator, and the patent, which depicts a ride vehicle that could simulate flight. Just trying to help you envision it.

montyz81

That is what I am talking about. That is exactly what this ride needs to be!. Question is, will there be enough time to build a "Land" or just the ride. If just the ride, then the time for completion seems enough (assuming start beginning of 2013- Ready end of 2014.

puntagordabob

Watch and see.

Seems reasonable... and Cameron will likely pressure Disney to Plus everything... should be fun!

DocMcHulk

...and this is what's supposed to be the next generation of theme park attractions? More screens? :brick:

Harry Potter is one of the best rides I've ever ridden (maybe THE best) and it's half screens. It's all in the execution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom