New Years Superstitions??? Customs???

HouCuseChickie

My family always eats pickled herring, which I guess originates in portions of eastern Europe. DH and the kids hate it and in recent years I just can't take it...so we've switched over to lox since salmon is supposedly an acceptable alternative.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I have a couple of ones i personally observe that i started on my own as a way to honor the passing of the old year into the new.
I do them just for fun...and to give myself a little positive push into the New Year.
It puts me into a great mindset and works wonders for me.

First and foremost is to always wear a brand new piece of clothing, usually a shirt, on New Years day.
It represents a new beginning and wearing something worn previously may carry over negative energies.
The item is usually brightly colored, often yellow or green which are colors traditionally associated with prosperity and growth.

The other major tradition is to be mindful of what it is you do on New Years Day.
Whatever activity or mindset you are in may well dictate what you will be doing in the New Year.
So you don't want to do anything that you do not really like or enjoy...and it is not a good day for 'finishing' anything.
It's all about 'starting' and new beginnings.
Leave the dust of last year behind.

I would say my favorite tradition is observing the weather on New Years day.
It is indeed a wonderful year ahead if it is a bright, clear, and sunny day!

:)
Oh crap, I'm in trouble. I had a jammie day and watched t.v. all day.

Wilt Dasney

My family never did any of this, but I love the idea. I first learned about eating "hoppin' John" (which includes black-eyed peas) as an African-American New Years tradition from a restaurant owner when I was writing newspaper features. For me, it's always been "watch the ball drop" and that's it. For my first West Coast new year's, that was a little strange, since the ball drops in Time Square at 9 p.m. out here. I need to work on some traditions that carry over past midnight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom