New World Showcase Pavilion?

DisneyFreak

Original Poster
The latest word from Epcot spies is that Disney may be in talks with the government of Spain regarding a pavilion. Sources who have seen the park’s masterplan also say that there is a proposal to expand into the service road behind the park behind the France, Japan and Morocco pavilions if it ever becomes necessary to add a larger attraction that may not fit into the spaces they already have between the current pavilions.

Ariel

I think Spain would be a really interesting pavilion to include in World Showcase. I'm sure the lanscaping would be beautiful. Another plus would be if the male cast members were required to look like Antonio Banderas.....;)

wdwcrazy

A Switzerland pavillion with the matterhorn in it would be the best. They did have plans and even some concept art for it. I don't know why it was never built. Whatever country they build, it has to have an attraction in it, just just some movie.

NowInc

I also heard rumors of an Africa pavillion getting added, and a very faint mention of a Brazillian (south american) addition as well (you think the brazzilian tour groups are bad NOW? just wait and see if this goes thru)...

The only VERY strong rumor i keep hearing is the re-doing of the Canada pavillion. I wouldnt mind seeing this at all...movies are boring (especially when most of the world showcase are movies)..and the canada one is the most boring of them all.

WDW-Imagineer

I have a pre-opening brochure from Epcot Center which was sent to me from the Magic Kingdom Club (now Disney Club). It says in there that Coming- World Showcase: Israel, Equatorial Africa, and Spain. Since I don't have a scanner, I'll simply type what it says for each country.

Israel - The Menorah, symbol of the State of Israel, stands at a courtyard center, surrounded by buildings reflecting the rich balance of new and old. Walk through ancient Jerusalem to an amphitheater to hear performances of both classical and folk music. Sample native dishes under the shade of olice and cypress trees in the Israel pavillion.

Equatorial Africa - The Equatorial Africa pavilion takes you on safari through a world of natural beauty and adventure. You'll feel the electrifying energy of the "Heartbeat of Africa" show and sway to the jungle beat of the music and dance. Alex Haley, noted author of "Roots", is your host for "Africa Rediscovered", an adventure uncovering Africa's ancient cultural heritage.

Spain - Take a spectacular journey through Spain by film to little know and out-of-the-way vacation Edens. A ride attraction captures the country's passionate heritage and spirit in her arts. In a waterside restaurant, indulge in tapas, or Spanish-style finger food - a blend of varied ingredients but suitable to simple tastes. And browse the market places of striking contrast, from pueblo village to aristocratic opulence.

After thinking, I realized that Equatorial Africa is Morocco, so that leaves only the other two.

Also, keep in mind that this was published in 1981 or 82, so it was a very early vision.

Tramp

If I recall....there seems to be a lot of room between Mexico and Norway...although it may not be large enuf to accommodate a new Pavillion...

I heard that the Norwegian Border Patrol has been actively pursuing illegal aliens crossing over from Mexico into Norway!

wdwcrazy

I heard that the Norwegian Border Patrol has been actively pursuing illegal aliens crossing over from Mexico into Norway!

LOL!! :D I herd somewhere that they could fit 6 or 7 new pavillions into World Showcase.

NowInc

There is also space for all the pavillions to expand (towards the back of each building)...just in case the sponsors decide they want to make a better pavillion

StarscreamLSU

I heard that there was supposed to be an Australian one like 2 years ago - woudl be great to have one more country so I can get one more beer after going through 'small world'

WDWFanatic

I remember when epcot first opened there was a spain pavillion marker on one of the empty spots. It had the concept art on it and everything. It was up for a few years then one year the sign disapeared. I believe it was supposed to go next to germany. well see what happens.

Attachments

• lightmagic.gif
    lightmagic.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 432

MrPromey

If I recall....there seems to be a lot of room between Mexico and Norway...although it may not be large enuf to accommodate a new Pavillion...

There is a good sized gap between Mexico and Norway but there is also an access gate there (currently the parades use this entrance/exit). The gap on either side of that gait is considerable less. On the other hand though, if they were to take up the playground in Norway they could condense the side of that county more and possibly make room for a front, between that area and the gait (assuming they could expand more going deeper) There is also plenty of space in the Trader-something-or-other are that carries a light African theme, I believe in the Epcot opening show James Earl Jones looks at a model of future world and says that this area is where Africa "will" be. (but that was a long time ago) They cold also knock out the international gateway and convert that to a country (making the large footprint of that small back entrance smaller and in my opinion more appropriate) They might also be able to sneak one between Canada and the mouth of world showcase as they have a good amount of land available between Canada and the Imagination pavilion. If they ever decide to scrap the meeting center thing they could always use that area between Canada and UK and take up (or move) the stage area by Canada there to make it's front area larger. There are probably other areas I'm not thinking of right now but those are a few that I can think of.

WDWFanatic

I'm going to guess afterwords. But i would start it in the middle of space being complete. incase that attraction does poorly there will be a fallback project. Its a smart move i think.

Attachments

• rocketrods01a.gif
    rocketrods01a.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 409

MrPromey

Sponsor, Sponsor, Sponsor.
That is probably the biggest issue for any qualifying countries. The sooner a country or large company based from a country is willing to caught up the cash, the sooner it will happen. Some countries like Israel who have wanted a permanent pavilion for over a decade have been turned down do to controversial issues with them. I'm sure groundbreaking would follow soon after the money began to flow from any country that Disney would consider a good fit to their image. Sure, they could go out and do it alone without money from the country but how would that look to the others that are paying for sponsorship? I don't think Disney's looking to start that kind of trend in World Showcase.

NowInc

Austrailia is going to be in animal kingdom...

And yes..without a sponsor..there are no pavillions....many different countries may of been proposed..but due to a sponcor backing out (or more likley a sponsor never existing)...they never get built...

Tramp

I don't think money or sponsors are the issues with an Israeli Pavillion. I bet the major concern is that there's some anti-Israeli with a cause willing to make a statement with a bomb, a hostage, or self-mutilation on a major stage such as WDW.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by MrPromey
If they ever decide to scrap the meeting center thing they could always use that area between Canada and UK and take up (or move) the stage area by Canada there to make it's front area larger.

Yeah, i was going to mention them doing away with the former Millenium Village building and putting another country there...but they better not even THINK of touching the stage by Canada as long as Off Kilter is performing there!! Off Kilter is now my #1 favorite band at WDW (ever since Nova Era was booted out due to a situation beyond their control) If they ever do anything to the stage they perform on now, they better be getting a new stage for them to perform on.
i know that was just you brainstorming, MrPromey, but i'm just saying that it better never be an issue with Disney! besides, i think there would be enough room for an entrance to a new country in that area. seemed to work great for Millenium Village!

Disney Channel used to show specials that had run before the parks opened...kind of previewing what was to come. and i remember watching the Epcot special when they had a re-run of it in Vault Disney a few years back. and I remember them showing a model of an African pavilion. i know the Trading Post place has a bit of an African theme, but i really doubt they would make a regular sized pavilion of Africa, seeing that they now have the Animal Kingdom and all. MrPromey, this could've been the same thing you were talking about with James Earl Jones...but I don't remember James Earl Jones being in this particular thing. then again, it's been a few years since i've seen it, so i'm just not sure at all.

MrPromey

don't think money or sponsors are the issues with an Israeli Pavillion. I bet the major concern is that there's some anti-Israeli with a cause willing to make a statement with a bomb, a hostage, or self-mutilation on a major stage such as WDW.

Israel has wanted a pavilion for quite some time but has been turned down by Disney for the controversies their country has been involved with. They had the largest and most expensive exhibit in the Millennium village and it was about Israel. Even though the exhibit did not show preference to any religion or state who owned it, it was still considered quite controversial. Even at the beginning of the movie segment, there was a disclaimer that the movie was a depiction presented by the Israeli board of tourism (as in not Disney's depiction). I think they are more worried about offending their international customers than they are of terrorists. Bombing WDW in an attempt to hurt Israel would be rather pointless in a strategic sense. What would it accomplish other than bringing us into a war against whoever did it?

M

Mr Lightbeer

Originally posted by Ariel
I think Spain would be a really interesting pavilion to include in World Showcase. I'm sure the lanscaping would be beautiful. Another plus would be if the male cast members were required to look like Antonio Banderas.....;)

I'm with Ariel on this one, any country with Antonio Banderas for cast member would get my vote:) :) :) :) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom