New WDW resorts--no time soon? but...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think Seven Seas West is the same as "Magnolia North"...the area that, in 1991, proposed extending the Lagoon westward. .
Sort of... You suggest linking to the monorail line, but proposed resorts were too far west for that.

For all the versions I know of. From 1968 to only a few years back.

Macadamite85

Original Poster
marni1971: So that would have been a bus-and-boat connector to MK? And a few years back, any chance of a link? I like the map from 1991 in post #23 of the "Epcot Center/Buena Vista Drive Interchange Project" thread, courtesy of NickC. Do you have any similar source material? Thank you.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
marni1971: So that would have been a bus-and-boat connector to MK? And a few years back, any chance of a link? I like the map from 1991 in post #23 of the "Epcot Center/Buena Vista Drive Interchange Project" thread, courtesy of NickC. Do you have any similar source material? Thank you.
I can't find the material with a quick look. I'll have to search my archive. I do recall the area involved shrunk a few times since 1968. I've also some model photos somewhere but again I can't find them at the moment. And I thought I'd organised my collection!

Robbiemoo

Wow amazing detailed post macadamite85.

The other area I can think of is maybe Discovery Island as some sort of exclusive ultra high end resort, although I'm not sure of the practicalities of this.

As well as new resort areas I can see more development of existing resort sites and possibly the parks. One wing of the contemporary has already gone for BLT. I could see some higher floor buildings added to resorts or hotels built into the structure of parks like Paris, Tokyo & Anaheim

Macadamite85

Original Poster
marni1971: Thank you very much, your post prompted discovery of this:

http://progresscityusa.com/2012/01/04/a-model-kingdom-1968/

Never saw that before--very high drool factor! I wonder why the Lagoon West extension was on the table as recently as 1991?

Anyway, to clarify--it seems unlikely that Disney would extend the lagoon or put in another monorail resort anywhere north or west of GF. I noted the reasons that would probably not happen, thinking it was a question that might naturally arise. I shudder to think of the Resort Loop being any more constrained than it already is.

ABQ

That's a lot of typing!

I'd expect north of STOLport to get busy sometime. With Buffalo Junction too.

Don't forget the missing CBR village or Seven Seas West (the latter popped up again a few years ago)
In the same area the once proposed Venetian Resort would have been? Or across the street and not on the Seven Seas Lagoon side but closer to the Bay Lake side? Or not that far north at all?
Is the land truly not as unstable as once said?

Venetian%20Resort%202.jpg

Macadamite85

Original Poster
Is the land truly not as unstable as once said?

Some sources say yeah, it would require pilings of x size, some say nope, those were rumors, others throw in the towel and ask who can figure out Mr. Eisner. It's tough to find facts on that one.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm in the unstable land camp. The Venitian and two Meditteraneans have been proposed for the plot - one of the most valuable deluxe resort plots left. And nothing has been built. I recall in the early 90s they sank test piles that went to 250-300 ft and carried on going.

@ABQ - the plot I mentioned is west of the Grand Floridian (opposite way from Seven Seas Lagoon)

ABQ

I'm in the unstable land camp. The Venitian and two Meditteraneans have been proposed for the plot - one of the most valuable deluxe resort plots left. And nothing has been built. I recall in the early 90s they sank test piles that went to 250-300 ft and carried on going.

@ABQ - the plot I mentioned is west of the Grand Floridian (opposite way from Seven Seas Lagoon)
Ah thanks, I was focusing on your mentioning of north of the SToLport getting busy part.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Looks like there were 5 hotel concepts that never saw the light of day! It would be great to see the plans and presentations for each one of these early Disney resort hotels!

View attachment 115466
What do you want to know?

There's only 3 in that image that never made it. The Poly was amended to remove the high rise and Tempo Bay became the Contemporary. The Asian if I recall had two slightly different versions. And came a hairs breadth (or an oil crisis) away from being built.

MonorailLover

I don't believe that the monorail line would be disrupted much, if the Venetian was built. The automation system would probably keep it to par with the efficiency we have now, but that's a whole other conversation, including a discussion about how the ridership would be affected by adding a whole new hotel.

Honestly, I would NOT stay at a new deluxe resort near the monorail line, that wasn't ON the monorail line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom