New Water Park

Apot2788

Original Poster
I heard but this is just peculation. I live here in miami and in a radi station i heard that disney is planning to buy property near key west and build a water park.:hammer: :drevil: :zipit: :king: :slurp: :D :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :

Originally posted by Apot2788
I heard but this is just peculation. I live here in miami and in a radi station i heard that disney is planning to buy property near key west and build a water park.:hammer: :drevil: :zipit: :king: :slurp: :D :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :
i doubt that

ToTBellHop

I suppose it's possible, but I'm not sure why disney would do it. Now that we are down to "two water parks", I think disney would be more likely to build a water park on Disney World property...just a thought:)

Pioneer Hall

I don't see Disney building unless it's on property. Rumor has it that a New Orleans themed (mardi gras) water park would be placed by Port Orleans. I think they should build either a pirates themed or Volcano themed water park. But even if we get the New Orleans theme I wouldn't mind it.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
exactly...why build something that might draw (if even a few) guests away from your main attractions?

Luau Cove

Plus Disney has plenty of unused property, why buy even more in these hard times?
I think that if RC closes, they would need to build a new park to satisfy guests.
-->LUAU

mickeyman

i don't think that disney would do a volcano theme because they just built the volcano at the poly. My thought is to redo typhoon lagoon. besides the wave pool i think that the other slides suck. keep the same theme just put in new, better slides.

NO MORE PARKS!!

Dear God....I hope that they don't build another park. Do you know how frustrating it is for people going down and trying to do it all?? Plus....I miss the WDW of yesteryear. Lots of open spaces! I used to feel like I was ACTUALLY IN ANOTHER WORLD, because everything was so isolated...but not anymore. There are things right to the edge of the property. The hotels go right down to Downtown Disney, which I HATE (sniff sniff, "I long for the Village"), but that is another discussion.

...."Yes, E.P.C.O.T. IS an acronym!!!" --- Me arguing with EPCOT Guest Services

Luau Cove

That's why we keep coming back and coming back and coming back.... It's an addiction, a need, we are like kids that we want what's new .
-->LUAU

ToTBellHop

Disney has used a VERY SMALL portion of its land. If you want lack of isolation, try Disneyland. I find it extremely kewl driving down the street....trees everywhere, and the tip top of the Tower of Terror (like that alliteration?) peaking over the tops. How could you possibly feel like you were more in another world than that? No ugly skyscrapers...just all perfectly done buildings. A vast majority of disney land is completely undeveloped.

figment99

If I remember correctly, Disney isn't supposed to develop at least half of the property they own due to some environmental protection law. . .

Belle13

I think a Mardi Gras theme would be cool. It would also be convenient for that part of the area. Honestly, I hope if they do this, they will have more innertube rides... none of us can stand the body slides, and innertube slides seem to be in the minority at the Disney water parks. Some of the best innertube slides can be found at Water Country USA in VA. They need to take a look there... that park appeals to everyone. It would be a good alternative to the rumored closing Water Country.

As for not being able to see or do everything, isn't that the whole idea? That keeps you coming back for more...great marketing strategy.

WDW stilll feels like you are in another world. Go to other theme parks and see if you feel that way there. Disney has to preserve much of the 43 sq miles of land that it owns, so there is no fear of it ever being stuck right out there in Kissimmee.

MGM WDWFan

Originally posted by figment99
If I remember correctly, Disney isn't supposed to develop at least half of the property they own due to some environmental protection law. . .

According to the WDW history page of WDWMagic, Disney World encompasses 27,443 acres. 7,500 of those must be permanently kept in their natural state under the contract of the Reedy Creek Improvement District (this is the legal name for Walt Disney World-and they have a building about a quarter-mile in from the Main Gate near Palm Parkway). At this point, about 8,300 acres are set aside. So there is some, if not much, room for building totally new stuff. It seems to me that they would be more likely to just remodel an existing water park -- probably Typhoon Lagoon.

--MGM

DLMAGICDARREN

Originally posted by Fievel
exactly...why build something that might draw (if even a few) guests away from your main attractions?

Actually, Disney does not mind at all if you spend your money outside of WDW, so long as it still comes to The Walt Disney Company.

Many tourists come to WDW for a few days, but still spend the rest of their vacation outside the resort. Many extend their Disney vacation by going to other Florida destinations such as the Keys. This just would give tourists an opportunity to leave WDW, and still extend their Disney vacation.

Still I don't see this as anything happening in the immidiate future, but I could see this strategy being used down the road. A water park away from Orlando would probably do a lot better then another on property water park. You don't need much land to develop a water park.

Brian430

Not as much land left as everyone thinks

Actually, Disney has very little land for future development.

Consider the math. Disney has roughly 27,000 square acres. 9,000 of which is set aside for conservations purposes.

That leaves 18,000 acres left.

What everyone seems to forget the one project that chewed up the largest chunk of WDW land – Celebration. Disney now runs its own subdivision which is 4,500 acres big, with a 4,500 acre buffer zone. That's 9,000 acres committed to their Del Web-like planned community.

In essence Disney only has 9,000 acres to build on. And after four theme parks, 24 major resorts, three water parks, two-night districts, a campground five golf courses and a sports complex they are simply running out of room.

Which is why WDW is taking on more an urban environment as opposed to the open spaces that existed just 10-12 years ago.

Look at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Here's a hotel that chrages the same rates as Grand Floridian and you can see the local Days Inn from your window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom