New Water Park

Pioneer Hall

There is a big price difference between AKL and GF. And when you pay to get the good view at AKL you don't have to worry about seeing the days inn.

Lance

Yeah, I don't know where you got your info Brian, but DisneyInsider is right, their is a HUGE price difference between the GF and AKL.

I'm someone who thinks River Country should be FW's resort pool!

But I guess they would have to charge a little more for their cabins and campsites. And if they are worried about making money with River Country, I'm sure their not going to let it become free to resort guests.

Pioneer Hall

I can't see them giving Fort Wilderness River Country as their pool area. Since there is a no pool hopping rule they would only have a fraction of the guests going there. And they wouldn't even get any extra money from it. Unless they would charge guests from other resorts to go there. But if this ever does happen Fort Wilderness will charge a fortune to stay at, even though you have to bring your own room.

Brian430

I'll Buy That. But...

Fair enough.

My only point is that all of the luxury hotels prior to AKL are tucked deep within disney property.

AKL, on the other hand, is on the edge of WDW property and views of the outside world are indeed visible. It's my opinion that this is due to the fact Disney sold off it's long-term ability to develop its property with open spaces. When WDW allocated nearly one-third of its property to build a subdivision it also doomed itself to a more urban environment.

AKL is just one example of how newer WDW developments are no longer produced with open spaces in mind. Look at Coronado Springs Resort – a moderate resort that simply is not comparable to other moderates in terms of land use. Dixie Landings and Port Orleans are not even visible from the road – their entrance involves winding through tree-line roads. Coronado is just off the road.

Or look at where Disney decided to dump its NASCAR track. It's basically in the parking lot of the Magic Kingdom and a real ear-sore to guests at the Polynesian.

All I'm saying is that there is false sense of abundance about Disney's property that should be debunked. Do you honestly want to see another 5,600 budget (vacation ghetto) hotel within view of the Caribbean Beach Resort? Does anyone want the additional traffic in that area, which is already overcrowded? What is going to happen to traffic near DownTown Disney when Pop Century does finally open up?

Like it or not, Disney is becoming more of an urban environment (ala Universal Orlando) and less like the pastoral vacation destination it once was. And I believe it has a lot to do with the fact that Disney is now trying to fit 27,000 acres of development onto 9,000 acres land that it actually can now use.

Pioneer Hall

I think that Disney has more land then you think. Also Pop Century seems to be in a good location. I don't think that it will a bother to any of the other resorts. At I don't think you ro anyone else has the right to call it a ghetto. Some peeople love Disney World but can't afford (or choose not to pay) for the luxury of the deluxe resorts. Sometimes people don't have control of that. Just because you can stay at the Polynesian or AKL doesn't mean the other million people that visit WDW can. No one is going to make you stay at Pop Century or the All Stars, but you shouldn't trash them either.

Lance

Totally agreeing with DisneyInsider,

I also believe they have more land than you think. The original WDW plan was for 7 parks and something like 40+ resorts.

I think POP century is in a great location. That wide world of sports area has always been somewhat deserted, but it should make it more full.

WDW is trying to make it so the everyday working family can enjoy a WDW vacation. I'm all for the low-budget resorts, they have enough DELUXE RESORTS!!!!!

DisneyWorldGuru

Celebration is a great town and no offence to the people living there but Disney wasted a ton of land on Celebration. I just read "Work in Progress" and Michael Eisner said that they were just compleating Walt's dream by building Celebration. But using that much land that they could have built more parks on was dumb.

Also I feel that they should stop building so many high priced resorts. They should build more mid-priced resorts or lower the prices of resorts like the Polynesian and Boardwalk.

Just the last time I was at WDW I talked to a friend of mine who said that most of the resorts are not even 1/3 full. He also said that the value resorts are always jammed. Disney should think before they build. They should stop building more resorts and lower some prices.

If they wanted to build more theme parks they should not have been so folish with the land they had.

If they want more land to build on they should get rid of things that are no longer making money. If they get rid of River Country they could take that land plus the land from Discovery Island that would give them a bunch of land to build on right there.

They could get rid of the Disney Speed Way or the Wide World of Sports if they need to to finish the 7 parks. But the last thing they need is nore hotels.

ToTBellHop

with all due respect, disney is about to double the number of value priced rooms on property. You CANNOT tell me Coronado Springs is not a MASSIVE resort. Have you ever walked around the loop all the rooms are on? You would pass out after a lap. They build it near the road so it appeals to people, just like the Tower of Terror which you can easily see a couple miles down the road. As for Animal Kingdom Lodge, it's in it's location for a very specific reason. It's called ANIMAL KINGDOM Lodge, which means it has to be NEAR Animal Kingdom. The park entrance was the most logical place, because it allowed every guest that goes to Animal Kingdom to see this beautiful resort from the roads coming in. Disney expands the number of rooms it has in every price range proportionally. You can say they have more delux hotels, but they also have about 1000 rooms each, whereas Pop Century has nearly 6000. We already know disney has only used 1/3 of the total property, which leaves much of the land untouched. If you think disney is currently urban...I'd love to see your city.

Lance

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
Thanks for the support Lance:)

I have to, your the only one making sense in here!!!:hammer:

:D

I don't think they should ever stop building, we should be grateful their building anything at all.

DisneyWorldGuru

Originally posted by DogsRule!
with all due respect, disney is about to double the number of value priced rooms on property. You CANNOT tell me Coronado Springs is not a MASSIVE resort. Have you ever walked around the loop all the rooms are on? You would pass out after a lap. They build it near the road so it appeals to people, just like the Tower of Terror which you can easily see a couple miles down the road. As for Animal Kingdom Lodge, it's in it's location for a very specific reason. It's called ANIMAL KINGDOM Lodge, which means it has to be NEAR Animal Kingdom. The park entrance was the most logical place, because it allowed every guest that goes to Animal Kingdom to see this beautiful resort from the roads coming in. Disney expands the number of rooms it has in every price range proportionally. You can say they have more delux hotels, but they also have about 1000 rooms each, whereas Pop Century has nearly 6000. We already know disney has only used 1/3 of the total property, which leaves much of the land untouched. If you think disney is currently urban...I'd love to see your city.

I have stayed at CS many times. I understand they have many rooms. I love CS. What I was saying was that the deluxe resorts are only 1/3 filled with guests. The value resorts and mod. resorts have the largest number of guests. I understand that the AKL is near the gate of AK and thats just fine. They should be near each other. I know that the Pop Century also has many rooms and hopefully Disney is understanding that we like to stay with them but we would like better prices. I have also stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and the cheaper resorts are just as good. Also disney wasted a ton of money on the Disney Institute. They could get rid of it and put in a new park of another resort like CS. All I'm saying is that Disney has enough rooms. They should just focus on things other than resorts.

DisneyWorldGuru

I think that Disney has more land then you think. Also Pop Century seems to be in a good location. I don't think that it will a bother to any of the other resorts. At I don't think you ro anyone else has the right to call it a ghetto. Some peeople love Disney World but can't afford (or choose not to pay) for the luxury of the deluxe resorts. Sometimes people don't have control of that. Just because you can stay at the Polynesian or AKL doesn't mean the other million people that visit WDW can. No one is going to make you stay at Pop Century or the All Stars, but you shouldn't trash them either.

I also agree with you. I can't afford to stay at the Deluxe resorts. I have been to the WL once. I think that all of the resorts are great. It beats staying at a motel three miles from WDW. The value resorts are fun to stay at. They have 2 pools, a food court, arcade, and gift shope. I hope I can be one of the first to stay at Pop Century.(when ever it does open)

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru
Also disney wasted a ton of money on the Disney Institute. They could get rid of it and put in a new park of another resort like CS.

Well the Institute is getting kind of taken away. They are tearing down 1/3 of it and building a themed DVC resort. Obviously vacation ownership is a big thing now for Disney.

DisneyWorldGuru

Well the Institute is getting kind of taken away. They are tearing down 1/3 of it and building a themed DVC resort. Obviously vacation ownership is a big thing now for Disney.

I heard that it would become a DVC resort. I was also there for the Inside Anamation tour and the tour leader told me that the DI is now only forlarge groups. I had friends who stayed there in Dec. and they said it was empty!

Pioneer Hall

Well they did close a lot of the resort due to cutbacks so that is part of the reason it is empty. The activities were also all discontinued.

I remember staying at that hotel when It was still the Disney Village Resort. Stayed in one of the Treehouse Bungalows.

DisneyWorldGuru

I took a boat from riverside past the treehouses and some were being pulled apart and they all seamed deserted. I was there and took a topeary class and they were never full just a few people. I think that it was doomed from the start.

Pioneer Hall

I stayed there in August also and took the boat and the Treehouses were opened and fully opeartional, there were even people staying in them. They were doing roofwork though at some of them depending on when you went to the resort.

DisneyWorldGuru

I was there late augest early sept. and no one was in them. They might have been getting them ready for DVC. You can still book a room in them but as I said there was construction trash and mattresses just outside the houses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom