New Vintage Epcot Pin , Prepare To Drool, Fanboys/Girls

hahahaha

People still buy pins? Really? Didn't that stop being cool sometime around 2001? It's so uncool you can still get "limited edition pins" from the summer. I mean $13 for a piece of metal one inch by one inch is just robbery...then again people think Vinylmation is cool...and that stuff is just plain stupid. What do you exactly DO w/vinylmation and pins? Let them collect dust somewhere?

FLGal

Well, I do know of someone who resorted to using pins to hold down his roof shingles during a hurricane. (Pounded them in with a hammer.) :lol:
Yes, people still buy them. Although LE500 use to go in an hour or less. Now it will probably be available for a week or more, if not a month.

JimboJones123

People still buy pins? Really? Didn't that stop being cool sometime around 2001? It's so uncool you can still get "limited edition pins" from the summer. I mean $13 for a piece of metal one inch by one inch is just robbery...then again people think Vinylmation is cool...and that stuff is just plain stupid. What do you exactly DO w/vinylmation and pins? Let them collect dust somewhere?

You can totally look at tgat $17 piece of plastic 20-30x a day. You cannot do that by simply printing pictures of them.

Oh wait, you can. Ignore this post.

huntzilla

It's always great to see ignorance on the boards. For your information I do collect both pins and vinylmation and what I DO with them is display them. I buy what interests me and it brings both sentimental qualities from previous trips, as well as ignites memories from favorite attractions. I'm sorry you can't appreciate something artistic, your loss.

SMRT-1

400001253649.jpg

Name:
"Epcot® Passport Collectors Set" Release Date:
12/16/10
SKU:
Retail:
$64.95
Edition Size:

This limited edition pin collectors set features symbols and logos from the history of Epcot®.
The pins include:

• Journey Into Imagination
  • The Land
  • The Living Seas
  • Epcot Logo
  • World Showcase Logo
  • Spaceship Earth

***Title Should Read "Pinset", sorry for type-o***

they are cool yes - seems they have been selling a great deal of old school JII merch lately. is it too much to ask just to make the ride good again?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Oh no, they are still "worth" a few pennies, people just foolishly pay more.
"Worth" is and will always be a subjective measure, but if you follow your logic to the extreme, an iPhone 4 would only cost the $15 or so it actually costs to build one [the actual cost may be different, I randomly chose a number], a Rolls Royce car would perhaps cost a few hundred dollars.... Etc.

The reality however, is that market forces and profit margins drive the actual costs of the things we buy. Once the manufacturer determines what profit margin they need to warrant the development, marketting and production and the market has determined what the price point is, it's up to individuals to determine whether the "value" to them of the item is "worth" the cost.

Clearly, given the continuing sales of Disney pins, the market is sufficient to sustain the costs.

Pioneer Hall

"Worth" is and will always be a subjective measure, but if you follow your logic to the extreme, an iPhone 4 would only cost the $15 or so it actually costs to build one [the actual cost may be different, I randomly chose a number], a Rolls Royce car would perhaps cost a few hundred dollars.... Etc.

The reality however, is that market forces and profit margins drive the actual costs of the things we buy. Once the manufacturer determines what profit margin they need to warrant the development, marketting and production and the market has determined what the price point is, it's up to individuals to determine whether the "value" to them of the item is "worth" the cost.

Clearly, given the continuing sales of Disney pins, the market is sufficient to sustain the costs.

Exactly...the pins have a value because of their collectable worth. It's the same way that all collections work, the value is perceived by those that collect. It's the same reason that a Honus Wagner baseball card just sold for over $250,000.

I collect pins, and have to agree that the prices have gotten a bit out of hand. What do I do with my pins? I collect resorts and am working on completing the entire resort collection. Other than that I purchase pins to trade for what I want or to sell. You might think that $65 sounds expensive, but I am willing to bet that set goes for at least 1.5 times that price on ebay. It's very simple supply and demand with this stuff.

Ignorance is bliss.

It's always great to see ignorance on the boards. For your information I do collect both pins and vinylmation and what I DO with them is display them. I buy what interests me and it brings both sentimental qualities from previous trips, as well as ignites memories from favorite attractions. I'm sorry you can't appreciate something artistic, your loss.
No offense...but having worked and gone to the parks/resort for 38 years, I have enough memories (and collectible stuff) to last a lifetime...and guess what...they cost $Free.99. I'm not materialistic enough to plop down $65 for pieces of metal that serve no purpose but to collect dust. I value the memories and experiences I've share(d) w/my family or my friends far more than sovenirs...but to each his/her own.

Pioneer Hall

No offense...but having worked and gone to the parks/resort for 38 years, I have enough memories (and collectible stuff) to last a lifetime...and guess what...they cost $Free.99. I'm not materialistic enough to plop down $65 for pieces of metal that serve no purpose but to collect dust. I value the memories and experiences I've share(d) w/my family or my friends far more than sovenirs...but to each his/her own.

But one does not take the place of the other. People collect all different sorts of things...what makes Disney pins any different? A baseball card is worth .10 cents when you look at it's actual value, but people will spend thousands on them. I can put a 2 cent stamp from the 50's on a letter that a collector might deem to be worth hundreds...the post office only knows it as 2 cents still. Collections become what they are because of economics. People value something so the value increases...collections aren't anything new. It always confuses me how people are so against these certain collections when there have been people collectings cards, stamps, coins, paintings, etc for hundreds of years.

John

Its not often I can comment on a post I feel I am very knowledgable about.....till now. I will preface what I am about to say, by saying I collect Disney pins. My mother has been a CM for several years and has started the collection and I add to it when I see something I like.

First, lets face it. No matter what level of Disney fanatacisim we all share the are some people who would not spend one penny to visit the world. So to chastize someone for what they decide to spend their hard earned bucks on isnt really fair.

As far as the pins are concerned, there is a rule of thumb to Antiques and in this case collectables. "if it is made and sold as a collectable....it isnt a collectable" What do I mean? Take Beanie Babies...They were made to be collected. How much would you pay for one today? Exactly. We have no emotional connection to them. Take for instance old lunchboxes,hotwheel cars and the aforementioned baseball cards. We never thought of them being worth a lot of money someday. but because we have an emotional attachment to the "days gone by" we value them.

Will pins fall in that catagory? Only time will tell. What I will say is that they dont fall into the beanie baby catagory. Why? Because I think that there can be an emotional connection to them. We can relate them to maybe a earlier visit to WDW. Maybe from childhood. The caviat to this is that they are made to be sold as a collectable. As in most collectables they tend to be very cyclical. What maybe hot today will be out tommorrow. Then come back again. No other collectable has seen this more then Baseball cards.

I am president of a very specialized collectables (antique bottles) club. Most people wouldnt spend a nickle on what I collect. The record price paid for a antique bottle is over $150,000. Still think $65.00 is to much to pay for a set of pins?

Monorail Lime

I am president of a very specialized collectables (antique bottles) club. Most people wouldnt spend a nickle on what I collect. The record price paid for a antique bottle is over $150,000. Still think $65.00 is to much to pay for a set of pins?
I must tell my wife about the $150,000 bottle next time she says I'm spending too much on pins! :lol:

scbb11Sketch

Still think $65.00 is too much to pay for a set of pins?

Yes.
But I will say that half of the reason this set is so much is because they are limiting the run to 500 pieces. The tooling alone to make these is thousands of dollars. By limiting the run numbers, they must drive up the price in order to make the sort of profit that they deem fit. If this had been an open ended set with maybe 2000 sets, they could have charged less and still made the profit they wanted. Not saying they would have, but the possibility would have been greater. So since they made this a 500 piece run, they are obviously trying to make the set more of a collectors item. I don't see why they wouldn't include every pavillion, but maybe they'll have a second set down the line to finish them off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom