NEW VACCINE FROM MODERNA READY IN FIRST WEEK OF DECEMBER OR SOONER!!

correcaminos

The reservation system is here to stay and has nothing to do with Covid. It's a way for Disney to control people flow and an easy way for them to cut their workforce, since they know how many expected guests they'll have per park per day.
Well maybe, maybe not... they are allowing for park hopping after the 1st of the year with no reservation after 2pm. I do absolutely believe it had everything to do with Covid. It may or may not stay. They can revoke at any time.

JusticeDisney

Well maybe, maybe not... they are allowing for park hopping after the 1st of the year with no reservation after 2pm. I do absolutely believe it had everything to do with Covid. It may or may not stay. They can revoke at any time.
Are they really allowing park hopping? I hadn’t heard that. How does that work? What, do you have to make park reservations for multiple or all parks everyday?

thomas998

Most experts seem to think vaccination will be in wide spread use int eh Spring of 2021. I don't expect to see any impact to WDW until then.
I think our state was projecting June or July as the time when everyone that wanted a vaccination would be able to get one. Of course the bigger issue is that everyone is assuming the vaccination will prove to be safe and effective when given to the population at large... it may be, but it may also have issues or prove less effective than anticipated. I wouldn't expect things to really be normal until Fall of 2021 at the earliest.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm not sure we are seeing a flu shot shortage here either. At least our pediatrician has not indicated from the clinics they do - I get info faster from them than the news if there is a shortage LOL.
There's a perennial shortage of the high-dose shot for seniors... in my area, anyway.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think that people are missing the point. The point isn't the distribution details or "It won't be ready for us until a few months from now." That's all icing on the cake. The point is that we through science have shown that its beatable. I didn't know if it would ever be possible. Part of the draconian measures (lockdowns, restrictions, stuff like that) were done with the assumption that there's a possibility that we might have to learn to live with Covid forever and that we're better off crushing the curve. I'm not saying "infect, infect, infect" but at this point, with the light at the end of the tunnel, it makes it more of personal choice to protect your health or not, with the assumption that we can get herd immunity from a vaccine that's coming soon, rather than having to fully defeat the virus ourselves.

People gnashing their teeth and getting hysterical over "distribution" issues? Are you serious? We just turned the periodic tables on their heads and threw modern science at a virus to create a vaccine that had never been done in human history (the Coronavirus family has been around for thousands of years and they've never been able to crack a vaccine). We did all of this, and people are worried about if we'll be able to figure out how to drive a truck around? Are you guys listening to yourselves? The hard part is the science, not the logistics and the truck driving.

You are underestimating the difficulties in mass distributing a vaccine, especially Pfizer's vaccine which must be kept at -70 C until very close to the time when it is administered. There is not a lot of infrastructure in place to transport and store things at that temperature. It's also not just the challenge of distributing the vaccine, the vaccine requires a whole supply chain of various chemicals and materials that there now will by a massive worldwide demand for which could lead to shortages. Manufacturing these days tends to operate pretty lean, there isn't a lot of extra capacity. Ramping up production can be difficult.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think that people are missing the point. The point isn't the distribution details or "It won't be ready for us until a few months from now." That's all icing on the cake. The point is that we through science have shown that its beatable. I didn't know if it would ever be possible. Part of the draconian measures (lockdowns, restrictions, stuff like that) were done with the assumption that there's a possibility that we might have to learn to live with Covid forever and that we're better off crushing the curve. I'm not saying "infect, infect, infect" but at this point, with the light at the end of the tunnel, it makes it more of personal choice to protect your health or not, with the assumption that we can get herd immunity from a vaccine that's coming soon, rather than having to fully defeat the virus ourselves.

People gnashing their teeth and getting hysterical over "distribution" issues? Are you serious? We just turned the periodic tables on their heads and threw modern science at a virus to create a vaccine that had never been done in human history (the Coronavirus family has been around for thousands of years and they've never been able to crack a vaccine). We did all of this, and people are worried about if we'll be able to figure out how to drive a truck around? Are you guys listening to yourselves? The hard part is the science, not the logistics and the truck driving.
The vaccine is a great achievement, but your thinking is completely flawed on current activities. One of the primary knocks against what you call “draconian measures” to slow Covid is that we couldn’t live that way forever and the economic impact of doing that indefinitely would be too great. Now with a limited timeframe and an end in sight that problem is solved. We now know roughly how long restrictions need to continue. People aren’t being asked to delay activity indefinitely but now for 6 months or less. If anything that should ramp up current efforts to slow the virus. We are in the home stretch and end is in sight, with a working vaccine in hand people should have the resolve to hang on for a little longer. While we all celebrate the success of this vaccine trial hospital workers are still overwhelmed with new Covid cases. The vaccine can’t help with that today.

JusticeDisney

The vaccine is a great achievement, but your thinking is completely flawed on current activities. One of the primary knocks against what you call “draconian measures” to slow Covid is that we couldn’t live that way forever and the economic impact of doing that indefinitely would be too great. Now with a limited timeframe and an end in sight that problem is solved. We now know roughly how long restrictions need to continue. People aren’t being asked to delay activity indefinitely but now for 6 months or less. If anything that should ramp up current efforts to slow the virus. We are in the home stretch and end is in sight, with a working vaccine in hand people should have the resolve to hang on for a little longer. While we all celebrate the success of this vaccine trial hospital workers are still overwhelmed with new Covid cases. The vaccine can’t help with that today.
Perfectly stated. Full stop.

drizgirl

Having the resolve to hang on isn't the same as having the money to hang on.

Shame on Congress for politicizing this pandemic. Shame on anyone asking for people to just "hang on" for 6 more months without income or health insurance.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Having the resolve to hang on isn't the same as having the money to hang on.

Shame on Congress for politicizing this pandemic. Shame on anyone asking for people to just "hang on" for 6 more months without income or health insurance.
Will people getting together for Thanksgiving in large numbers help people with income or health insurance? Did Halloween parties help? There is a lot more to this than just shutting down businesses. Outside of the issues with bars and indoor dining very few businesses today are presenting a major problem.

The suggestion was that now that a vaccine is coming it’s a personal choice whether or not people worry about their health. Hospitals are becoming overrun, doctors and nurses need to deal with the surge in cases from people who made a “personal choice”. I don’t see the vaccine news as any change to how we should act today and how we handle the current cases. We do need to hang on and everyone needs to do their part. I don‘t disagree that the government response has been and continues to be disgraceful. There should be another relief bill already done.

KTK

Don't forget, people need to get the vaccine. If only 40-50% of people get the vaccine, that is too low. I saw a recent survey that only 58% of Americans said they would get the vaccine. You need to have at least 70% of people to get it in order to protect our communities (herd immunity) but the higher, the better. Unfortunately, there will never be 100% of the people who will take the vaccine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Don't forget, people need to get the vaccine. If only 40-50% of people get the vaccine, that is too low. I saw a recent survey that only 58% of Americans said they would get the vaccine. You need to have at least 70% of people to get it in order to protect our communities (herd immunity) but the higher, the better. Unfortunately, there will never be 100% of the people who will take the vaccine.
The good news there is the 58% was up from 50% back in September and was from polling done before Pfizer and Moderna announced their results. I know from a number of conversations that some people were on the fence until they could actually see the safety results and I had also heard a lot of people who were skeptical if the vaccine was only 50% effective. At close to 95% I hope that ups the number significantly. I think a similar poll in 3 weeks or so (assuming the EUA is approved for Pfizer) will be a lot more telling.

edit: when you dig into that poll a little further (see Gallup write-up) of the 42% who said no over a third said they either wanted to wait to see safety data or wait to see effectiveness. If most of those people are convinced that gets us above 70%. It’s all about a good publicity campaign to educate the public.

Last edited:

correcaminos

There's a perennial shortage of the high-dose shot for seniors... in my area, anyway.
Unfortunately it's the same in my area as well 😕
That's really awful. I know my dad gets the high dose shot as he's well over 65 and fortunately had no issues last month. You'd think the ones affected the most should be able to get their hands on it. Sometimes I wonder about our healthcare here

spock8113

I just think that sooner isn't necessarily better because it assumes the efficacy they claim is correct and side effects are yet to be determined. They've been rushin' this along since January:
January 20, 2020 - The National Institutes of Health announces that it is working on a vaccine against the coronavirus. "The NIH is in the process of taking the first steps towards the development of a vaccine," says Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

On Feb 25 –Trump stated at his press conference about the virus, "I think that's a problem that's going to go away,” adding, falsely, “We're very close to a vaccine."

On Feb. 29, the president said that a vaccine would be available “very quickly” and “very rapidly,” as he praised his administration’s actions as “the most aggressive taken by any country.” His statement about how long it would take for a vaccine to be publicly available was corrected by Dr. Anthony Fauci, a member of the coronavirus task force, in front of reporters.

So 11 months to get any kind of vaccine is the fact, just how they work is soon to be seen. Months, not days to have any affect, even if they are as good as claimed. (Breaks out his "skeptical" crayon from the box.

lazyboy97o

I just think that sooner isn't necessarily better because it assumes the efficacy they claim is correct and side effects are yet to be determined. They've been rushin' this along since January:
January 20, 2020 - The National Institutes of Health announces that it is working on a vaccine against the coronavirus. "The NIH is in the process of taking the first steps towards the development of a vaccine," says Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

On Feb 25 –Trump stated at his press conference about the virus, "I think that's a problem that's going to go away,” adding, falsely, “We're very close to a vaccine."

On Feb. 29, the president said that a vaccine would be available “very quickly” and “very rapidly,” as he praised his administration’s actions as “the most aggressive taken by any country.” His statement about how long it would take for a vaccine to be publicly available was corrected by Dr. Anthony Fauci, a member of the coronavirus task force, in front of reporters.

So 11 months to get any kind of vaccine is the fact, just how they work is soon to be seen. Months, not days to have any affect, even if they are as good as claimed. (Breaks out his "skeptical" crayon from the box.
How they work is being seen. The efficacy and side effects data is coming from incredibly large scale human trials over a minimum of two months. Earlier, smaller scale trials are able to provide more data.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom