NEW VACCINE FROM MODERNA READY IN FIRST WEEK OF DECEMBER OR SOONER!!

JusticeDisney

Is a dose one shot or two? If it’s only one then that is only 25 million people, about 7.5% of the population.
That’s a good question. They didn’t clarify what they meant so I guess I’m not really sure.

A couple other things to keep in mind, though. First, hopefully the number of doses they can have available per month will increase as the months go on. And secondly, not even close to everyone who is eligible for the vaccine will choose to take it. Given that, I’m hopeful that by late spring or early summer, anyone who wants the vaccine will get it. Fingers crossed!

nickys

Premium Member
End of Jan is what they are stating for high risk and frontline. April on average for most everyone else for a US timeline guestimate. I will not speak for other countries. I know BioNTech has lots of orders with lots of countries. I also know AstraZenica and Johnson and Johnson are still going as well. We may hear from them soon.

For the trial it was required 30 minutes after to wait. About 30-45 minutes to warm. Just tossing out personal experiences with BioNTech.

Only good news is that 1 week after BioNTech's version is that you do get 90+% efficacy. So 4 weeks total from first dose to efficacy.

To 100% reiterate what they stated to those of us in the trial, we need to keep going and acting like it's not approved yet. I don't like bursting bubbles, but that's the reality. I am beyond hopeful, but still....
Hmmm, that’s an optimistic timeline IMO. I’ve been told by a friend who is involved in the logistics of delivering it here that the U.K. hopes to have vaccinated everyone aged 50+ by April. The rest will be after that.

However even that timeline could be thwarted due to the shortage of flu vaccine this year. That programme may take until March, and seemingly you must have the flu shot before COVID (if having both).

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Just reported on CNN a short while ago that, between Pfizer and Moderna, 50 million doses expected in American arms by the end of this year. That would be a pretty good start.

Is a dose one shot or two? If it’s only one then that is only 25 million people, about 7.5% of the population.
It’s doses, not people. The people who will get it first are not going to be (for the most part) Disney World’s target demographic. And the Trump administration’s guidelines (which will be the ones used between now and Jan 20) state that focus will be on High Risk individuals themselves, not their families. So getting a family vaccinated will take some time.

JusticeDisney

It’s doses, not people. The people who will get it first are not going to be (for the most part) Disney World’s target demographic. And the Trump administration’s guidelines (which will be the ones used between now and Jan 20) state that focus will be on High Risk individuals themselves, not their families. So getting a family vaccinated will take some time.
True, but it’s not up to Trump (or Biden come Jan 20) to decide who gets the vaccine first. Each state develops its own plan for distribution. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure every state will start with front line workers, elderly, etc., but those are the particular guidelines you have to look to.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Hmmm, that’s an optimistic timeline IMO. I’ve been told by a friend who is involved in the logistics of delivering it here that the U.K. hopes to have vaccinated everyone aged 50+ by April. The rest will be after that.

However even that timeline could be thwarted due to the shortage of flu vaccine this year. That programme may take until March, and seemingly you must have the flu shot before COVID (if having both).
Very interesting how different each country is. I know different countries have different order amounts with each company. US timelines are given by those who are in control so I trust their idea that April will be average for all here to get it.

I am curious why on earth are they requiring a flu shot? I wasn't even allowed to have mine until after I had both doses in the trial. If I had it done prior, it would have been too early for it (would have needed it in July). I'm not sure we are seeing a flu shot shortage here either. At least our pediatrician has not indicated from the clinics they do - I get info faster from them than the news if there is a shortage LOL.

To explain about vaccines, for the trial I was told I could get vaccines 2-4 weeks after a dose (depending on what vaccine). However, I had to have 2-4 weeks on the other side too. So I could not get it between the 2 covid doses. So because before the trial would have been too early for a flu shot, and that only left 2 weeks after to get my flu shot. I find it odd they require a flu shot prior because of the timing. If it is spring then the flu shot is not administered here at this time as that is the end of the flu season. If you have info why they state that I'd love to know.

pixie225

Almost more important to me is how many people will take the vaccine if offered. Saw some articles saying only 58% would, and that 65-70% would need to to slow covid down.

correcaminos

Almost more important to me is how many people will take the vaccine if offered. Saw some articles saying only 58% would, and that 65-70% would need to to slow covid down.
There was a poll on another thread here. Obviously just another poll but here are the wdwmagic results

Shouldigo12

Different countries will likely have different estimates. The situation is terribly dire here, so I wouldn't be surprised if we just ordered more vaccines than the UK with that in mind. Or maybe the UK thinks it'll take longer to set up the distribution chain.its hard to say, and it's possible our estimate will be blown to smithereens, but right now I'm hearing April.

I would also like to know where you heard about needing the flu vaccine, because I haven't seen anything about that. Is it maybe a UK thing?

nickys

Premium Member
Very interesting how different each country is. I know different countries have different order amounts with each company. US timelines are given by those who are in control so I trust their idea that April will be average for all here to get it.

I am curious why on earth are they requiring a flu shot? I wasn't even allowed to have mine until after I had both doses in the trial. If I had it done prior, it would have been too early for it (would have needed it in July). I'm not sure we are seeing a flu shot shortage here either. At least our pediatrician has not indicated from the clinics they do - I get info faster from them than the news if there is a shortage LOL.

To explain about vaccines, for the trial I was told I could get vaccines 2-4 weeks after a dose (depending on what vaccine). However, I had to have 2-4 weeks on the other side too. So I could not get it between the 2 covid doses. So because before the trial would have been too early for a flu shot, and that only left 2 weeks after to get my flu shot. I find it odd they require a flu shot prior because of the timing. If it is spring then the flu shot is not administered here at this time as that is the end of the flu season. If you have info why they state that I'd love to know.
They aren’t requiring a flu shot. You misunderstood me. Our flu vaccination programme won’t be completed until March due to delays / shortages of doses.

The senior pharmacists in charge of the Covid vaccination programme are apparently recommending that those planning to get the flu vaccine should do so before they receive a Covid vaccine. I have no idea if that is because of a clinical reason or a logistical one.

The U.K. have different amounts ordered with each company and I assume the Oxford one will be what the majority here get, which is running later. That is likely to be a significant factor in our projected timeline, but the logistics of the programme with any of the vaccines shouldn’t be underestimated and is likely to be the main limiting factor in getting everyone vaccinated.

correcaminos

They aren’t requiring a flu shot. You misunderstood me. Our flu vaccination programme won’t be completed until March due to delays / shortages of doses.

The senior pharmacists in charge of the Covid vaccination programme are apparently recommending that those planning to get the flu vaccine should do so before they receive a Covid vaccine. I have no idea if that is because of a clinical reason or a logistical one.

The U.K. have different amounts ordered with each company and I assume the Oxford one will be what the majority here get, which is running later. That is likely to be a significant factor in our projected timeline, but the logistics of the programme with any of the vaccines shouldn’t be underestimated and is likely to be the main limiting factor in getting everyone vaccinated.
I was meaning why did they state to get the flu shot first, not required though due to this "seemingly you must have the flu shot before COVID (if having both)." That was my mistake of leaving out the word first. A bit sleepy today due to a super late night meeting. Sorry about that.

I honestly would skip a flu shot if I didn't get it by Feb or so. Seems almost pointless at that time. But that's me lol. I was jabbed last month for mine. I'll have to read why shortages there. Our pharmacies are still saying to come in for it here. Not knocking anyone, but fascinated by things.

I would imagine Oxford would be the top pick there too. Most of the EU was banking on BioNTech I think from the orders I saw (assuming the numbers were accurate). The US has Moderna too and AstraZenica being partnered with Oxford makes it watched well here too. As is Johnson & Johnson. I have read governments here are working on distribution issues and what order for all getting it.

nickys

Premium Member
I was meaning why did they state to get the flu shot first, not required though due to this "seemingly you must have the flu shot before COVID (if having both)." That was my mistake of leaving out the word first. A bit sleepy today due to a super late night meeting. Sorry about that.

I honestly would skip a flu shot if I didn't get it by Feb or so. Seems almost pointless at that time. But that's me lol. I was jabbed last month for mine. I'll have to read why shortages there. Our pharmacies are still saying to come in for it here. Not knocking anyone, but fascinated by things.

I would imagine Oxford would be the top pick there too. Most of the EU was banking on BioNTech I think from the orders I saw (assuming the numbers were accurate). The US has Moderna too and AstraZenica being partnered with Oxford makes it watched well here too. As is Johnson & Johnson. I have read governments here are working on distribution issues and what order for all getting it.
I agree about the flu shot timing. I should qualify but I see no point going to get it if I haven’t had it by mid Feb.

Here it seems it’s each health service trust who are responsible for making the distribution and programme delivery plans. I’ll ask about that recommendation though when I speak to her.

correcaminos

I agree about the flu shot timing. I should qualify but I see no point going to get it if I haven’t had it by mid Feb.

Here it seems it’s each health service trust who are responsible for making the distribution and programme delivery plans. I’ll ask about that recommendation though when I speak to her.
I'd be interested to hear what will happen where you are. I realize there is not a one size fits at for any place that needs vaccines. In fact completely far from it.

Out of total curiosity I tried to google about flu shot shortages in the UK region and got completely contradictory stories LOL If you ever hear what happened I am curious to know. Much like I am curious how different areas will deal with covid vaccines.

PostScott

do you think DW will stop these reservations, I hope!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂
First off, I love your enthusiasm. Second, even if the vaccine is widely distributed and is very quick and easy to take, I dont think Disney will do away with the reservation system for 2021. The reservation system will continue to be implemented until most Covid guidelines and restrictions begin to ease down. The reservation system is just another guideline like wearing masks and sanitation stations. It's just not a required guideline so the other Florida parks aren't using it. However, Universal really should start using it for the weekends.

Also, Disney has the reservation system until the beginning of 2022.

Shouldigo12

First off, I love your enthusiasm. Second, even if the vaccine is widely distributed and is very quick and easy to take, I dont think Disney will do away with the reservation system for 2021. The reservation system will continue to be implemented until most Covid guidelines and restrictions begin to ease down. The reservation system is just another guideline like wearing masks and sanitation stations. It's just not a required guideline so the other Florida parks aren't using it. However, Universal really should start using it for the weekends.

I think until 2022 makes sense. I've heard some rumors that once things are able to go back to normal at the parks, Disney might be considering changing and revamping some systems. If that's true I can see them deciding to just keep things how they are now for the remainder of the year, and then when they have the kinks worked out switching right to the new systems. That way they're not switching everything up multiple times a year. Experts have said we won't be able to do away with guidelines as soon as vaccination is done anyway, so we're probably looking at being 3/4 of the way into the year or more before they would get the go ahead to ease restrictions in a major way.

NelleBelle

There is absolutely no way they will have that vaccine available by Dec/Jan for the general population. And it has yet to be tested in the pediatric population—Disney is not going to do away with its safeguards when a large percentage of their guests haven’t been vaccinated. And with there being such a low percentage polled stating they would not take the vaccine, I’m going to assume they aren’t giving it to their children. It’s hard enough here in WA to get children vaccinated against MMR that every year we have a bigger and bigger measles outbreak!! Would expect that there may be proof of vaccination or antibody against COVID to enter a lot of tourist destinations in the future.

Trackmaster

I think that people are missing the point. The point isn't the distribution details or "It won't be ready for us until a few months from now." That's all icing on the cake. The point is that we through science have shown that its beatable. I didn't know if it would ever be possible. Part of the draconian measures (lockdowns, restrictions, stuff like that) were done with the assumption that there's a possibility that we might have to learn to live with Covid forever and that we're better off crushing the curve. I'm not saying "infect, infect, infect" but at this point, with the light at the end of the tunnel, it makes it more of personal choice to protect your health or not, with the assumption that we can get herd immunity from a vaccine that's coming soon, rather than having to fully defeat the virus ourselves.

People gnashing their teeth and getting hysterical over "distribution" issues? Are you serious? We just turned the periodic tables on their heads and threw modern science at a virus to create a vaccine that had never been done in human history (the Coronavirus family has been around for thousands of years and they've never been able to crack a vaccine). We did all of this, and people are worried about if we'll be able to figure out how to drive a truck around? Are you guys listening to yourselves? The hard part is the science, not the logistics and the truck driving.

Heppenheimer

I think that people are missing the point. The point isn't the distribution details or "It won't be ready for us until a few months from now." That's all icing on the cake. The point is that we through science have shown that its beatable. I didn't know if it would ever be possible. Part of the draconian measures (lockdowns, restrictions, stuff like that) were done with the assumption that there's a possibility that we might have to learn to live with Covid forever and that we're better off crushing the curve. I'm not saying "infect, infect, infect" but at this point, with the light at the end of the tunnel, it makes it more of personal choice to protect your health or not, with the assumption that we can get herd immunity from a vaccine that's coming soon, rather than having to fully defeat the virus ourselves.

People gnashing their teeth and getting hysterical over "distribution" issues? Are you serious? We just turned the periodic tables on their heads and threw modern science at a virus to create a vaccine that had never been done in human history (the Coronavirus family has been around for thousands of years and they've never been able to crack a vaccine). We did all of this, and people are worried about if we'll be able to figure out how to drive a truck around? Are you guys listening to yourselves? The hard part is the science, not the logistics and the truck driving.
To be really fair here, we've never given much of a serious attempt at coronavirus vaccination previously. The species of coronavirus that cause the common cold weren't really worth the effort, and SARS-CoV-1 and MERS-CoV went extinct and were contained, respectively, before the effort to develop their vaccines really got off the ground.

But these are still potentially amazing breakthroughs, either way.

HarperRose

The reservation system is here to stay and has nothing to do with Covid. It's a way for Disney to control people flow and an easy way for them to cut their workforce, since they know how many expected guests they'll have per park per day.

Parker in NYC

Draconian? Sorry, I stopped reading there. But thanks for playing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom