new Universal resorts named and up dates

Rob562

From the current state of the Dockside construction, it's clear they're opening with only one half up and running. I highly doubt the south tower will be anywhere near done by March.

They opened Cabana Bay in a similar fashion. The northern courtyard first, then the two southern wings a few months later. (And the towers facing Volcano Bay even later)

-Rob

BubbaQuest

We stayed at Surfside a couple weeks ago. We were booked into a standard room but got a free upgrade to a family suite (aaallllll the way at the far end of Tower 2...)

Short-version review is that it was nice, but *very* value... If this were our only option for future trips we'd stay there, but would vastly prefer to stay at Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls.

The extra space of the suite was nice to have, but for just one couple in the room the three beds were definitely overkill. Even if we were traveling with a friend, I think I'd prefer to have the living room and bathroom layout of Cabana's suites over the extra bedroom of Surfside.

Bus service was adequate, and I fully expect the two Endless Summer resorts to share buses. (Side note, the moving of Uber/Lyft pickups at the garages makes a HUGE difference for hotel guests using the buses)

Service at Surfside was a bit hit-or-miss. When we arrived at midday there were only two people working the front desk, and one of them was involved with a complex issue a guest was having with their package reservation. When another person finally showed up, they had to go staff the luggage desk because people were waiting.

Housekeeping was a bit lackluster, too. Floors had only been given a cursory cleaning. Bare feet encountered crumbs under the table and edges of the counter, betraying that the housekeeper hadn't pulled out chairs to sweep or get under the open counter/table.
We'd gotten down to the last few tissues, indicated by them switching from white to colored. The housekeeper failed to change the box, so we quickly ran out. Next day the empty box was taken but not replaced, and the trash was emptied but a new bag not put in its place.

Oh, and the towels... Yeesh! Thin, sandpaperey, yuck. We've had better towels at EconoLodge or Motel 6...

Lastly the designated ride-share pickup area. If they want people to use it, they need to provide benches and cover from sun and rain. We followed the signs to it for our pickup to the airport (and the Uber app even directed us there), but our driver went to the main lobby anyway. He said that of the half dozen pickups he's made there, we were the first to actually go where we were supposed to.

Overall not horrible, but these Endless Summer hotels will likely be our last-choice option, probably even after Aventura.

(And before you ask, yes I did relay all of this in my post-visit survey from the hotel)

Edit to add: Totally forgot about the evening we came back late from Horror Nights to find the TVs weren't working, nor was wifi. Trying to call the front desk showed the phones weren't working either. (Obviously all connected as one system) Used cell phone to call number listed on room phone, was told the systems were out in all of Tower 2 and that they were working on it. They were back up and running by morning.

-Rob

Thanks for the great review. Is there anything "Universal"-special to recommend this hotel over other bargain hotels in the area?

Rob562

Thanks for the great review. Is there anything "Universal"-special to recommend this hotel over other bargain hotels in the area?

In the Universal area I've only stayed at Universal hotels, so my thoughts are based on some assumptions... Surfside was nice, but cheap.

We're not early risers, especially on vacation, so we've never done Early Entry in the parks. (Even more so this trip, since HHN was our main focus and it kept us out late each night)

The bus was probably what sets it apart in any way from other non-Uni hotels. Every time we walked up to a bus stop, whether at the hotel, the CityWalk hub or at Volcano Bay, there was almost always a bus waiting. The two times we had to wait it was under 4 minutes.

-Rob

Disneyhead'71

Compared to other I-Drive hotels it's a step up. Starbucks and a full bar in the lobby. A full food court, and the busses are the main differences.

Rob562

Compared to other I-Drive hotels it's a step up. Starbucks and a full bar in the lobby. A full food court, and the busses are the main differences.

I think the bar out by the pool is the only bar at Surfside. But yes, its presence is a step up from budget motels.

-Rob

trr1

Original Poster
bioreconstruct

@bioreconstruct
Nov 24, 2019

Street view of pool area buildings at first tower raised in Universal's Dockside Inn. Aerial 2 weeks ago.
1574894620264.png

1574894630032.png

1574894645123.png

bioreconstruct

@bioreconstruct

·
Nov 24

Current state of second tower in Dockside Inn.
1574894748558.png

Structure complete this wing of 2nd tower in Dockside Inn.
1574894779582.png

End cap of second tower in Dockside Inn has pre-cast etching of dune grass at bottom, rising sun at top. (Rising because this view faces East.)
1574894806024.png
1574894815659.png
1574894826490.png

Lobby building at Universal's Dockside Inn
1574894856532.png

JoeCamel

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
Nov 24, 2019

Street view of pool area buildings at first tower raised in Universal's Dockside Inn. Aerial 2 weeks ago.
View attachment 428943
View attachment 428944
View attachment 428945

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

·
Nov 24

Current state of second tower in Dockside Inn.
View attachment 428946
Structure complete this wing of 2nd tower in Dockside Inn.
View attachment 428947
End cap of second tower in Dockside Inn has pre-cast etching of dune grass at bottom, rising sun at top. (Rising because this view faces East.)
View attachment 428949View attachment 428950View attachment 428951
Lobby building at Universal's Dockside Inn
View attachment 428952
90 days? this will be open

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruc

Lighting of first tower in Universal's Dockside Inn.
View attachment 430083
Lighting of first tower in Universal's Dockside Inn, and construction lighting of second tower.
View attachment 430084
Rooms being furnished in Universal's Dockside Inn. Opens in March.
View attachment 430085
Lighting at first tower of Universal's Dockside Inn
View attachment 430086View attachment 430087
There is someone at Universal who just **loves** bright blue/white LED lights. They should have gone with something a tad warmer.

The lights in the Aventura rooms are basically bright blue/white LED spotlights... just awful. Especially when there is just one in the ceiling over the mirror.... and no make-up mirror either. Here's one blinding blue spotlight pointing at the top of your head. Good luck shaving or applying make-up!

trr1

Original Poster
bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

Aerial overview of Universal's Dockside Inn. First registered guests check into phase 1 next month.
1580762767821.png

Aerial view of first tower built in Universal's Dockside Inn. First registered guests check in next month.
1580762817249.png

Aerial view of 2nd tower of Universal's Dockside Inn. Seems like work is starting on the pool.
1580762859589.png

Aerial view of paint in progress at second tower of Universal's Dockside Inn. Note the end cap.
1580762896192.png

trr1

Original Poster
bioreconstruct

@bioreconstruct

·
Mar 10

Wave themed corner sign being installed for Universal's Dockside Inn, First registered guests check in next Tues, Mar 17.
1584046667621.png

New sign for Universal's Dockside Inn not lit yet. Hotel opens in 6 days. Located at Universal Blvd and I-Drive, it's part of the Endless Summer Resort together with Surfside Inn.
1584046702113.png

Josh Hendy

Looool I just finished reading the thread about Universal Hollywood closing down. Then I popped open this thread and for a split second I thought the sign had been photoshopped to say "Jobless Summer".

Sorry no offense my bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom