New Train Station Sign

Otterhead

I'm sure it was, but, in jest of what? There is nothing about it that connects to any thought, anytime, any place. Perhaps a verb, adjective or some other method of communication might be helpful.
It was a comment in the same vein as "but her emails!". In other words, they were saying "But... but... what about Walt?" in jest, mimicking a lot of the hyperbole here from people saying that this goes against Walt's thinking, destroys what Walt would want, etc. etc.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm sure it was, but, in jest of what? There is nothing about it that connects to any thought, anytime, any place. Perhaps a verb, adjective or some other method of communication might be helpful.
I think it's a reference to the oft-used phrase, "WWWW" (AKA W4, or "What Would Walt Want?") -- a not-so-subtle riff on "What Would Jesus Do?"...

TiggerDad

My guess is they're upset that Disney is (tink)ering with something that seems completely unnecessary. I think we subconsciously vew it as a reason to fear that since such a small thing is changed seemingly for just the sake of change, how are the bigger things that we love and care about safe? In our minds, who's to say they don't start adding more spires to the castle, or rename Crystal Pallace "Pooh's Poohfect Buffet"? I don't think it's the sign literally, I think it's the sign metaphorically.
How about Tigger's Tiggeriffic Buffet? Sounds a little more appetizing, but I may be biased.

Mandy M.

I truly like the new one better. The white lettering on the old one looks a little cheap/out of place now that I've seen the picture of the new one. I also appreciate that they kept the gold lettering very similar to the original. If it keeps disgruntaled people out of the park, that's a bonus.

KBLovedDisney

Well, I didn't read all the comments, but IMHO I think they are trying to do away with the label of "The Magic Kingdom" versus "Magic Kingdom". The only way I can explain my understanding is if we had in comparison to the other parks: "The Epcot" or "The MGM Studios". I think the "The" was more or less supposed to be implied from the begining?...Just my guess is all.

Slowjack

- I think 'Magic Kingdom' makes slightly more grammatical sense. You go to the 7-11, but the sign on the shop says '7-11', not 'The 7-11'.
As an aside, I find this interesting from a language point of view. I don't personally know many people who would say "the 7-11." Instead it's just "going to 7-11." This may be a regional thing. I know in some parts of the US, people put "the" in front of a freeway name: "I took the I-5." I think they do the same in the UK. But here in Alabama, at least, we leave that off, saying, "I took I-65 to Montgomery," or just, "I took 65 to Montgomery."

In another post you wrote The United States. Capitalizing The in these situations is a recent development. Not that long ago, no one would have written, "I read that in The New York Times," but rather, "I read that in the New York Times." (Except for the staff of the newspaper itself, which was always trying to get this style across.) I've seen sentences that refer to Bruce Springsteen as The Boss. Personally, I like the old way better, as it seems to reflect speech better, plus I think it just looks silly to write, "I visited The Grand Canyon."

21stamps

As an aside, I find this interesting from a language point of view. I don't personally know many people who would say "the 7-11." Instead it's just "going to 7-11." This may be a regional thing. I know in some parts of the US, people put "the" in front of a freeway name: "I took the I-5." I think they do the same in the UK. But here in Alabama, at least, we leave that off, saying, "I took I-65 to Montgomery," or just, "I took 65 to Montgomery."

In another post you wrote The United States. Capitalizing The in these situations is a recent development. Not that long ago, no one would have written, "I read that in The New York Times," but rather, "I read that in the New York Times." (Except for the staff of the newspaper itself, which was always trying to get this style across.) I've seen sentences that refer to Bruce Springsteen as The Boss. Personally, I like the old way better, as it seems to reflect speech better, plus I think it just looks silly to write, "I visited The Grand Canyon."
The only time we need a capital T, or even to say the word 'the', is when referencing THE Ohio State University..especially their football program.
;)

Dads 2 Boys

Wow....Y'all need to move on. This seriously bothers you people?

Wait wait...Let me guess..... Another WDW not caring about the guests? This isn't quite as bad as people whining and complaining that the color of the Tomorrowland bathrooms but still not relevant enough to get angry over.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Except that them(Disney) removing details from the sign IS something to complain about. Again, details are what Disney USED to be big on. If I'm not mistaken, DETAILS(and control) are why Rowling went with Universal. What might be considered small details to you doesn't carry over to someone else. I know it's crazy to think that 7.5 billion people don't think alike. Personally, I didn't care too much about the napkins becoming generic, but others did. That's cool. It's not going to ruin my day to read their complaints.

^^^ THIS ^^^

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Hey, I think the sign looks fine. I liked the old one, but the new one doesn't offend me in the slightest.
And really shouldn't offend anyone, because it's just a sign, but you know, people gotta complain about Disney somehow around here. I guess my biggest wonder is the fact that since there is a Magic Kingdom in Anaheim, and it was there first, how come this one was THE Magic Kingdom??

Bocabear

I think more to the point was they are leaving off the detail information that used to be on the sign... fitting the narrative that it is an actual town with elevation, population etc. It was a charming detail that has now been left off...
not everyone notices the little details that are included in the parks...But the details are there and I will always mourn the loss of a well thought out detail...

The_Jobu

However, if there is no dissenting response than people start to think that if it doesn't bother me, I must be wrong in my thinking.

I think people are capable of thinking for themselves if they like a change or not, but if you're taking it upon yourself to be the contrarian of WDWMagic, you'd be more successful saying things like "I can see why you prefer the way X used to be, but it's a stretch to say Z" rather than "you are wrong to like the original X because I think it's not important".

If you have a counter opinion, by all means share it, but trying to change people's opinion by saying they're wrong and complaining about complaining is going to accomplish sweet squat-all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom