New Tower drop sequence is open

Tom

Beta Return
You know what - this has gone to far.

How bout this - I did not post a review. I never intended it as a review. I posted a piece of information that the ride is open for those who wish to experience it. Got a problem Scar? Get in your car, start driving up 75 and ride it.

It blows my mind that I try to do something helpful for members of a forum that I *don't even read anymore* and I get greeted with this kind of reaction - especially in your case where you have clearly posted a few things directed at me and then deleted them (or a mod did?) when realizing how inappropriate they are.

I thought others would be excited to hear that they can ride it earlier than expected. My mistake. Won't happen again from my end. To the mods - and I'm serious - if you'd be willing to delete my account, that would be fine.

CSM, please, keep posting! One of the main reasons I visit this forum instead of others is that I can not only experience WDW vicariously through others (since I only get there once a year or so), but I can also learn more and more about the inner workings of things there.

When I saw the thread title, I couldn't click on it fast enough. I was hoping for as many spoilers as you can fit in a thread. I wanted video. I wanted audio. I wanted a second-by-second dissertation on the new ride experience. I won't be there until January, and I have no idea if this new stuff will still be there or if it's all just for Summer Nightastic.

So, by all means, SPOIL the heck out of it. If someone doesn't want to know what the new effects are or what the new drop sequence is like, perhaps they shouldn't be reading an internet forum dedicated to the ins-and-outs of WDW. Perhaps they should go read "that other" forum where everything is happy and pretty and rainbows and magical and nothing of substance is ever discussed :)

I rode today. I timed the drop sequence. Its the exact same length as the previous sequences, however, I would describe it as having less directional changes. Instead, its basically almost three and a half full drops, creepy audio, and a few surprises.

Its good, though not necessarily better than the previous sequences.

As for the rest, it isn't done yet, so I'm not going to mention what it is or form an opinion on it until it is finished.

Your results are definitely correct. The drop sequences must all be the exact same length, or else the ride's timing wouldn't work out at all.

Since the computer randomly selects the drop sequence you're going to get, having drop sequences of varying lengths would have a backwards affect on everything leading up to it, from load/dispatch time to vertical travel time/speed.

If the computer chose a scenario with a longer drop sequence (assuming there was one), the next AGV would have to hold longer before starting it's first ascent...but then the AGV behind it would have to hold longer in the basement or at unload...and then it's an infinite backwards affect.

Each ride is exactly the same length. Even the load/unload times are fixed. A Cycle = Load Time, Vertical Time, Scene Time, Vertical Time, Horizontal Time, Drop Time, Unload Time, Travel from Unload to Load Time.

Each one of those components is the exact same, every time. If they increase capacity by adding AGVs, the load/unload times shrink. Conversely, if an AGV loads quickly, you hold at load for a bit longer. If it unloads quickly, it holds longer in the basement before backing into the load shaft again.

On a similar note, did they replace one of the 4 drop sequences, or did they add a 5th? I thought they were adding one. Maybe not.

Disneyson 1

^ Actually, they're cycling several ( I think 4?), but they all have the same "new element" in the drop. Still not clear what that is, though...

aeromike

After watching a video of the newly featured TOT, I miss the old version, the shaft glow at night is pretty cool, everything else they never should've done (except for the new drop sequence, I don't know what that is like) but if its short, then thats not good either!!!
Bring back the starry door and get rid of that music afterwards, okay it fits but rod sterlings bit was much better

the-reason14

After watching a video of the newly featured TOT, I miss the old version, the shaft glow at night is pretty cool, everything else they never should've done (except for the new drop sequence, I don't know what that is like) but if its short, then thats not good either!!!
Bring back the starry door and get rid of that music afterwards, okay it fits but rod sterlings bit was much better

It's not a permanent change, it's just for the summer. Although they may consider updating the ride with a new drop sequence eventually.

Tom

Beta Return

So, except for two of the major improvements (which you DO like), you don't like anything else they've done?

I think the lights in the boiler room are a plus. The music and lighting in the drop shaft is a plus. The new drop sequence (which is exactly the same length as the other 4) is a plus. The only thing I might not like is the curtains in the 5th Dimension, but hopefully they're temporary.

aeromike

ahh cool. I'm in the UK so I can only find on-ride updates so am glad its a temp thing and honestly edwardtc no I didn't like much of what I saw, was fine how it was I think, although I do like the shaft lights, they looked pretty awesome

djkidkaz

Im wondering if the curtains in the 5th dimension scene are a way for them to hide work going on? Maybe they are changing it so its different after nightastic and what a perfect way to do that while the ride is open is to make people think the star curtains are a new effect for nightastic, when in actuality its just a refurb wall that will come down at the end of the summer to reveal a great new scene?! :shrug:

devoy1701

I remember Disney stating that the "changes will be obvious" when Tower reopens. So far, these changes seem not so obvious, so I'm still going to cling to the small shred of hope that something better will come!

Changes are definitely obvious. You can't miss the certains over the 5th dimension, the new creepy 1940s era music that blasts as you enter the drop shaft. The fading picture effect (albeit not a good one) is clearly new, the bright wall before you get shot up into the shaft for the first time. And the added air time as you come up the shaft before your last drop. All are very noticable even if you have ridden just a few times in the past.

The queue effects were even more noticable. Though I would love if we could get the voices in the walls like they have at DCA!

csm

Original Poster
Im wondering if the curtains in the 5th dimension scene are a way for them to hide work going on? Maybe they are changing it so its different after nightastic and what a perfect way to do that while the ride is open is to make people think the star curtains are a new effect for nightastic, when in actuality its just a refurb wall that will come down at the end of the summer to reveal a great new scene?! :shrug:

I do not mean this as an insult at all, but don't be naive. The curtains *are* the "effect."

Sadly, it's all it's going to be.

I saw someone describe the new drop sequence as "truly terrifying" -- seriously? It's a half drop and three full drops. That's IT. It's Tower 2 + one more drop, and not quite as aggresive as Tower 2 was. Peoples' memories tend to fade over time as they get used to something (Tower 3, Tower 4 for example) but Tower 2 was far more forceful. Tower 5, similar in layout to Tower 2, is NOT close to forces of it.

the-reason14

I do not mean this as an insult at all, but don't be naive. The curtains *are* the "effect."

Sadly, it's all it's going to be.

I saw someone describe the new drop sequence as "truly terrifying" -- seriously? It's a half drop and three full drops. That's IT. It's Tower 2 + one more drop, and not quite as aggresive as Tower 2 was. Peoples' memories tend to fade over time as they get used to something (Tower 3, Tower 4 for example) but Tower 2 was far more forceful. Tower 5, similar in layout to Tower 2, is NOT close to forces of it.

Uhm, everybody's different. What may be terrifying to one person, may be tame to me and you. I consider ToT very tame as I have been on far more thrilling rides, but it's the theming and story that send it over the edge as far as being a great ride. Although the only version of ToT I've been on was the 4th version and thats it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom