New Tomorrowland Rock Paint Job

Virtual Toad

Our society doesn't want that message because the message is crap. We're sick of being told how awful we are for eating trans fats and sitting comfortably in air conditioning. We don't want to hear hypocritical elites like George Clooney lecture us about are carbon footprint and the need for more government control over our lives. The last thing we want is a vision of the future wherein an enlightened oligarchy is our only key to survival as a species. This would could use a lot less Tomorrowland and a little more Frontierland.

No. In fact, the movie directly implied that "turning to politicians" would *not* solve the world's problems. The central message of the film is that we need to start "feeding the right wolf." That we need to embrace an optimistic view of the future. That we need the dreamers and geniuses of the world to come together and work together to shape a better destiny for our planet.

That message of embracing hope and vision over doom and gloom couldn't be more critical given the situation we're currently facing. And it's strangely similar to Walt's original message and philosophy for Tomorrowland.

CaptainAmerica

No. In fact, the movie directly implied that "turning to politicians" would *not* solve the world's problems. The central message of the film is that we need to start "feeding the right wolf." That we need to embrace an optimistic view of the future. That we need the dreamers and geniuses of the world to come together and work together to shape a better destiny for our planet.

That message of embracing hope and vision over doom and gloom couldn't be more critical given the situation we're currently facing. And it's strangely similar to Walt's original message and philosophy for Tomorrowland.
The bolded is the problem. Turning to "dreamers and geniuses" to solve all of society's ills is no better than turning to politicians. Both imply that there's an enlightened elite who know what's best for the rest of us and that all we need to do to thrive is to correctly identify who those elite are.

There's no one wise or just enough to "shape a better destiny for our planet" because things fall apart when you try to plan on that scale. If you want to create the best possible future for the world, individuals needs to focus on creating the best possible future for themselves, their families, and their communities. Many people acting individually and locally will do far more good than "dreamers and geniuses" acting on behalf of the whole world.

You say "feed the right wolf," I say "don't feed the wolves."

Ripken10

It was pretty poorly marketed from what I remember.
I thought the movie was good. Not that this is a prevailing reason, but I do think it is hard to truly pull in people about a movie that is based on a ride or land. Again, some people will say they didn't like the movie but I hear just as many that did. But I also hear just as many that have never seen it. For some, it will always feel like a reach to make a movie about a ride or attraction, even if there is more to it then that. I think that is a hard sell.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I thought the movie was good. Not that this is a prevailing reason, but I do think it is hard to truly pull in people about a movie that is based on a ride or land. Again, some people will say they didn't like the movie but I hear just as many that did. But I also hear just as many that have never seen it. For some, it will always feel like a reach to make a movie about a ride or attraction, even if there is more to it then that. I think that is a hard sell.
There is no question that making a story fit a land at a Disney park is hard, but I think it did it fairly well. The problem was that if you were not an uber fan of the Disney parks, you really had no clue what this movie was about from the marketing. The only reason I saw it was because I said uber-fan.

CastleBound

I agree with you 100%. I think our society didn't get the message. It is a bit ironic. The message was trying to tell everyone that our apathy is ruining our world, but because people were apathetic to the message, the movie performed poorly at the box office.
Exactly.... that and the fact that the marketing was pretty poor. It didn't do the message justice. Plus I think the whole Mystery Box kinda misled the viewers.

djkidkaz

They need to put back the fountains! The rocks are so stupid, it just screams WELCOME TO THE PAST! :(

Then
cieyrRF.jpg

Now
uCBga5c.jpg

Wow those fountains look amazing! Would love to see those return.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
All my friends who actually saw the movie Tomorrowland really liked/loved it. Alas, very few people I know actually did see it. A shame as the movie's vision was really beautiful and would've made a great inspiration for a redeveloped TL
The problem with Tomorrowland was the same problem that The Good Dinosaur had - the in-theatre trailers led you to expect a totally different movie.

I take my niece and nephew to the show at least once/month, so we had seen the trailers at least three times. When we actually saw the movies in question, we were surprised. Not that we didn't enjoy them, they were both very good; but in each case, we were expecting an altogether different storyline.

Mike730

The bolded is the problem. Turning to "dreamers and geniuses" to solve all of society's ills is no better than turning to politicians. Both imply that there's an enlightened elite who know what's best for the rest of us and that all we need to do to thrive is to correctly identify who those elite are.

There's no one wise or just enough to "shape a better destiny for our planet" because things fall apart when you try to plan on that scale. If you want to create the best possible future for the world, individuals needs to focus on creating the best possible future for themselves, their families, and their communities. Many people acting individually and locally will do far more good than "dreamers and geniuses" acting on behalf of the whole world.

You say "feed the right wolf," I say "don't feed the wolves."
You're also missing the point. It doesn't imply anything about choosing the correct "enlightened elite" class. It's implies that there is no "enlightened elite" class, but instead many classes of experts who ought to work together.

To imply that there is no one that knows what's best for you besides yourself is foolish. Tell that to the engineers who designed the safety features in your car, your doctor, your dentist. They work together to keep you safe and healthy, by giving you their expert advice.

You live in a global world. Your community is growing larger and larger. To say :
...individuals needs to focus on creating the best possible future for themselves, their families, and their communities.
is saying that we ought to focus on what's happening in our world, because now more than ever, what happens across the globe effects what happens at your front door.

fractal

Kumbaya. That would be wonderful but it's also contrary to human nature. Utopia is not possible. The promise of a perfect "Tomorrow" is what keeps people subservient to the State. Only when people accept that Tomorrow will not be perfect are they liberated to pursue the best interest of themselves, their families, and their communities within the context of the real world.

Amen to that.

jakeman

The problem with Tomorrowland was the same problem that The Good Dinosaur had - the in-theatre trailers led you to expect a totally different movie.

I take my niece and nephew to the show at least once/month, so we had seen the trailers at least three times. When we actually saw the movies in question, we were surprised. Not that we didn't enjoy them, they were both very good; but in each case, we were expecting an altogether different storyline.
Yep. I thought I was getting the first half hour for the whole thing. Then it turned into something completely different and a bit preachy.

CaptainAmerica

...because now more than ever, what happens across the globe effects what happens at your front door.
I think you have cause and effect backwards. I think what individuals do in their own sphere of influence has a greater cumulative effect on the world than do the conditions of the world on individuals.

Rutt

Amen. Someone very recently said that he turned off his tv and his computer and decided to go meet his neighbours. Oddly enough, none of them tried to kill him, none of them were ignorant to him and he was shocked at how pleasant the outside was. I think you will find that in general, 4 out of every 5 people are nice, happy people. The folks in charge would have you believe otherwise. If we all took a moment to step back and realize how much better things are when we consider not only ourselves, but those around us and strive to make it better for as many as possible (you'll never please everyone), then maybe, just maybe, a good portion of the stupidity will end.
individuals needs to focus on creating the best possible future for themselves,
Odd, I would say this exact sentence is the biggest problem with the world today. We are all so caught up in ourselves that we cant be bothered to see just how poorly we are treating everyone else or just don't care. And then we sit back and wonder why the world is collapsing around us.

Kman101

The movie 'Tomorrowland' was kind of a mess and to me wasn't all that great and didn't really know what it wanted to be. Not bad or terrible, the message needs to be heard, but the overall presentation ... IDK. I wish it had succeeded but now we're stuck with Sci Fi Fantasyland

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom