New Tomorrowland. Is this the year it finally gets announced?

Not sure why people get hung up on Lion King in the Jungle Cruise. It's apparently ok to break the fourth wall with other jokes, but not include a five second audio reference to a Disney movie? K then.
That doesn't seem like that big a deal, especially if it's part of a joke. That went over my head when I first watched the clip because I don't speak Japanese.

Consumer

TDR.

There aren't nearly as many L's as other Disney properties, and proper maintenance and the best cast of any Disney park out there makes up for a lot.

Groot on Small World is temporary.

Stitch in the Tiki Room, fine, but it hasn't shown the original show since the 90s anyway.

Nemo isn't great, but it's predecessor, Storm Runner, was only better in the sense that it fit the theme better. It wasn't actually a better (or good) attraction.

Not sure why people get hung up on Lion King in the Jungle Cruise. It's apparently ok to break the fourth wall with other jokes, but not include a five second audio reference to a Disney movie? K then.

So there are like two mildly bad things, one thing that's temporary, and one that's personal discretion. Oh, and they consistently do actual maintenance, still have those Disney Look standards that people love to prattle on about them changing in the US, and staff the place to the hilt. You're right, they're awful.
Never said it was awful, just that it’s not the holy land it’s made out to be. There’s plenty more good than there is bad. Having the original Country Bear Jamboree and Splash Mountain are both pretty fantastic.

I prefer Tomorrowland as a quasi-space port and Tokyo Disney's Space Mountain overhaul shows that Disney isn't willing to give up on the space port theme just yet, but I think the recent inclusion of video game adjacent properties (Wreck it Ralph in Tokyo, Tron at Magic Kingdom) makes business sense as a light hedge against Super Nintendo World. So I could see those properties make their way into a Tomorrowland overhaul here in California.

But I don't think they'll go all in on video game characters, mostly because they don't have any properties that could rival the appeal of Mario. Unless they do an outside license deal for Sonic. (Bob Iger does like to buy things)

MK-fan

TDL has plenty of L's. People like to pretend they don't simply because they have quality maintenance and put money into their attractions. Stitch in the Tiki Room, Nemo in Port Discovery, Groot on "it's a small world," the Lion King soundtrack on the Jungle Cruise.
I would say the only β€œL’s” TDL has is the overall aesthetics of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (but it seems they are trying to fix that over the next decade). Sure, the Nemo ride and Stitch Tiki Room are not great and Beauty and the Beast is a little lacking but It doesn’t really bring the resort down at all and each Disney Resort outside of TDL has a ton of β€œL’s” so this is hardly anything to make a gripe about. The resort Is the best 1-2 punch Disney has. TDL is the only Disney resort that has two parks that live up to the overall quality a Disney theme park should have. They both have a jam packed amount of rides and attractions. Each of them have an amazing amount of dark rides.Their copies from the American parks are usually the best versions such as POTC, HM and JC, etc. or they get a copy and give it an amazing queue such as TS Mania and Soarin’. They’re adding four dark rides to TDL at once this year which is unheard of. The food is amazing, so is the entertainment and TDL is not as insanely expensive as the parks in America. So yes, in my opinion, TDL is the holy grail of Disney Theme Parks.

Last edited:

mlayton144

I would say the only β€œL’s” TDL has is the overall aesthetics of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (but it seems they are trying to fix that over the next decade). Sure, the Nemo ride and Stitch Tiki Room are not great and Beauty and the Beast is a little lacking but It doesn’t really bring the resort down at all and each Disney Resort outside of TDL has a ton of β€œL’s” so this is hardly anything to make a gripe about. The resort Is the best 1-2 punch Disney has. TDL is the only Disney resort that has two parks that live up to the overall quality a Disney theme park should have. They both have a jam packed amount of rides and attractions. Each of them have an amazing amount of dark rides.Their copies from the American parks are usually the best versions such as POTC, HM and JC, etc. or they get a copy and give it an amazing queue such as TS Mania and Soarin’. They’re adding four dark rides to TDL at once this year which is unheard of. The food is amazing, so is the entertainment and TDL is not as insanely expensive as the parks in America. So yes, in my opinion, TDL is the holy grail of Disney Theme Parks.

I find this fascinating as many hold this opinion. There are some things I just can’t get over (never been there though). World bazaar has a giant metal/glass roof over it - just a weird version for the introduction into the castle park version of main st USA . The biggest thing though - Disney castle parks for me embody Americana as their overall aesthetic - I just can’t imagine getting that feeling with japanese (or French for that matter) being spoken over the PA system. Bizarro world. Good for them having their own versions though

Japan and France definitely on my bucket list - might just skip the parks there though

PiratesMansion

I find this fascinating as many hold this opinion. There are some things I just can’t get over (never been there though). World bazaar has a giant metal/glass roof over it - just a weird version for the introduction into the castle park version of main st USA . The biggest thing though - Disney castle parks for me embody Americana as their overall aesthetic - I just can’t imagine getting that feeling with japanese (or French for that matter) being spoken over the PA system. Bizarro world. Good for them having their own versions though

Japan and France definitely on my bucket list - might just skip the parks there though
I guess it's in the eye of the beholder to some extent. Some people hold the Americana of Disney parks as a central part of their appeal, while for me it's been a part of the US Disney park experience, but not one of the defining traits of the experience. Maybe that's because I've been to the other parks, maybe it's because there are other theme parks in the US that are more soaked in Americana to me than any of the US Disney parks are (Silver Dollar City and Dollywood, for one).

I've never felt like one of the big problems of any Disney park was "this park isn't American enough".

People get hung up on the World Bazaar roof, but it actually makes a lot of sense in the context of Japan. I'm very grateful that the first time I went to the Tokyo parks was at the end of a month-long term where we had previously traveled to Osaka, Nara, Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Matsuyama before traveling and exploring Tokyo itself rather than visiting the parks. If you visit a lot of Japanese cities before TDR, as I did, you'll see that covered shopping malls like that are everywhere. In knowing that context, the covered World Bazaar makes perfect sense to the Japanese.

And it's not just Japanese spoken over the PA system-it's Japanese, followed by English with the exact same sort of cadence and paternal-authority-voice that you'll hear all over the US parks.

Go to the parks or don't, but I just have always thought it's weird that people treat it as a badge of honor to ignore the international parks when they proudly consume a very, very similar product in a different context. To me, it's like being a Coca-Cola fiend in the US, but then refusing to drink it in Insert Country Here because you're not in the US or something. Why not if it's available and you know you like it? Who does it hurt? Especially if you're in Asia, as those parks do many things better than the US parks for a cheaper price.

Now, I'd never advise anyone, and especially a first time traveler, to go over there, see the parks, and leave, but if you have plenty of time to see some culture, and you're here posting on a Disney forum, I'd argue that you should also see the parks. Or at least, it's weirder in my view to explicitly avoid them. Clearly I'm in the minority, though, because I've seen plenty of people express similar opinions many times.

Last edited:

mlayton144

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder to some extent. Some people hold the Americana of Disney parks as a central part of their appeal, while for me it's been a part of the US Disney park experience, but not one of the defining traits of the experience. Maybe that's because I've been to the other parks, maybe it's because there are other theme park in the US that are more soaked in Americana to me than any of the US Disney parks are (Silver Dollar City and Dollywood, for one).

I've never felt like one of the big problems of any Disney park was "this park isn't American enough".

People get hung up on the World Bazaar roof, but it actually makes a lot of sense in the context of Japan. I'm very grateful that the first time I went to the Tokyo parks was at the end of a month-long term where we had previously traveled to Osaka, Nara, Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Matsuyama before traveling and exploring Tokyo itself rather than visiting the parks. If you visit a lot of Japanese cities before TDR, as I did, you'll see that covered shopping malls like that are everywhere. In knowing that context, the covered World Bazaar makes perfect sense to the Japanese.

And it's not just Japanese spoken over the PA system-it's Japanese, followed by English with the exact same sort of cadence and paternal-authority-voice that you'll hear all over the US parks.

Go to the parks or don't, but I just have always thought it's weird that people treat it as a badge of honor to ignore the international parks when they proudly consume a very, very similar product in a different context. To me, it's like being a Coca-Cola fiend in the US, but then refusing to drink it in Insert Country Here because you're not in the US or something. Why not if it's available and you know you like it? Who does it hurt? Especially if you're in Asia, as those parks do many things better than the US parks for a cheaper price.

Now, I'd never advise anyone, and especially a first time traveler, to go over there, see the parks, and leave, but if you have plenty of time to see some culture, and you're here posting on a Disney forum, I'd argue that you should also see the parks. Or at least, it's weirder in my view to explicitly avoid them. Clearly I'm in the minority, though, because I've seen plenty of people express similar opinions many times.
Points taken , the Coke analogy doesn’t ring with me but that’s fine. I have no issue with these countries hosting their own parks , but the domestic parks are so ingrained in me in terms of what I would expect to experience that I can’t imagine enjoying the bizarre nature of the whole thing. Different strokes

NobodyElse

Disney castle parks for me embody Americana as their overall aesthetic

I get what you're trying to convey about your feelings. But if you take a step back, doesn't it seem a bit contradictory since all those Disney castles are so quintessentially European?

I can't help think of this line from Breaking Away:

Last edited:

mlayton144

I get what you're trying to convey about your feelings. But if you take a step back, doesn't it seem a bit contradictory since all those Disney castles are so quintessentially European?

I can't help think of this line from Breaking Away:

To me no it’s not contradictory, being spoke to in Japanese or French on the Mark Twain riverboat just doesn’t seem right. These international parks were made and designed for local countries , not for me. It’s fine, Doesn’t mean you can’t have fun , enjoy !

Ismael Flores

I do but I still want Horizons 2.0 and Sea Base Delta with underwater coaster. ;)

An electric Autopia would be great if they took away the bar in the middle and used onboard sensors keep the car on the road. It would also stop the car if collision is going to happen. My hybrid Tucson does those things so why can't the Autopia cars?

Also give the autopia glowing tracks with some lighting effects.

iu
I always felt that Autopia could have been modified so that it brought back the kinetic movement of the land. The amount of land is wasteful for what it is today. A hybrid Autopia with semi automated vehicles would be great. give the ride a storyline that tells the story of the evolution of the car. the first portion of the ride would have cars that work just like now allowing guests to press a peddle and move the steering wheel as the story progresses have the track slowly go up to a second level track similar to people mover. The storyline would have you experience what self driving cars can do and the steering wheel and peddle would lock and an automated track would take over. taking you on an overhead view of a new tommorowland that can go inside show buildings like before that can have show scenes. As the storyline continues they can show the possible future of flying cars. using projections very similar to the iron effect for people mover give the guests the feeling of flying. The ride would end with the track going back to street level and guests leading cars to load area.

Phroobar

I always felt that Autopia could have been modified so that it brought back the kinetic movement of the land. The amount of land is wasteful for what it is today. A hybrid Autopia with semi automated vehicles would be great. give the ride a storyline that tells the story of the evolution of the car. the first portion of the ride would have cars that work just like now allowing guests to press a peddle and move the steering wheel as the story progresses have the track slowly go up to a second level track similar to people mover. The storyline would have you experience what self driving cars can do and the steering wheel and peddle would lock and an automated track would take over. taking you on an overhead view of a new tommorowland that can go inside show buildings like before that can have show scenes. As the storyline continues they can show the possible future of flying cars. using projections very similar to the iron effect for people mover give the guests the feeling of flying. The ride would end with the track going back to street level and guests leading cars to load area.
So kind of a People Mover/Test Track thing. It's a great idea. Rocket Rods with a story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom