New Tomorrowland. Is this the year it finally gets announced?

I have a sneaking suspicion that all the work being done on the west side of the park (New Orleans Square, Critter Country) is to alleviate the loss of Tomorrowland when they eventually do pull the trigger on whatever they're going to do to the land. I also feel like they are somewhat testing the waters with the attraction closures and loss of capacity in NOS/CC to see how they can possibly phase the refresh with Tomorrowland.

I can't remember what it was like during the Tomorrowland '98 remodel, but I do remember when DCA had their 2-billion-dollar redo in the late 2000's. Yes, it was inconvenient, cramped, and annoying but people still came including myself. I don't see the Tomorrowland remodel being any worse than the DCA refresh. Hell, at least we can enter Disneyland through the actual entrance! 🤣

Frankly, all of this hinges on how much of a refresh we're going to see with Tomorrowland. A refresh has been floated for the last 10 years. It just depends on how much money Disney is willing to spend and if everything they are refreshing is IP based. Will this be another '98 cheap refresh, or will they do a '67 style ground up remodel. I am not hopeful for the latter.

I just want the Peoplemover back.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Sorry to bump this thread, but a recent question that has come up has been when Disney eventually does decide to renovate Tomorrowland, would they just close the entire land? They've done it before, but would they do it again? It was rumored back in 2019 that was to be the case, as a full demo (save Space Mountain and Monorial). But things have changed. Personally, I wouldn't mind. The new land would have to be worth it in the end to have closed for 3-5 years, though.

Side note, fingers crossed for D23.
It's been done before. They had a pathway to Space Mountain in the middle of the construction. I don't see them starting anything until after Splash/HM are finished. Then it would be logical to close down TL to keep capacity. They were suppose to close down TL after GE opened but GE wasn't successful enough.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's a little different, as that area doesn't take up as much space. Also, before this year, only 1 ride has been closed (Splash), now 2 more have joined (Haunted Mansion and Pooh) but only for under a year.

If we are seriously talking about a brand New Tomorrowland, that would mean full complete demo of mostly everything. That's a good 1/5 of the park down for not just 1 year, but if they want to do it right, this land needs at least 3 years. No re-skins. Demoing and building from the ground up.

I am of the opinion that Disney could do this. We have been begging for a New Tomorrowland for decades now and I think the loss of the land for a quick 3-5 years would make up for the atrocity that was committed to the land in 1998 that has left the land in such an unappealing and depressing state that has been in for 26 years. Yeah, 3-5 years would be worth it, as we are done seeing this land rot and decay as the years go on.

That alone would be worth a 10 year closure lol
The point is that Disney appears to be ok with closing an entire land for long periods of time, remember that Toontown was also closed for year. So its not out of the realm of possibilities for it to happen with TL too.

However if they wanted to do phased closures, that would be fine too.

Disstevefan1

That alone would be worth a 10 year closure lol
funny-true.gif

EPCOTCenterLover

The point is that Disney appears to be ok with closing an entire land for long periods of time, remember that Toontown was also closed for year. So its not out of the realm of possibilities for it to happen with TL too.

However if they wanted to do phased closures, that would be fine too.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of phased openings, and therefore I don't want phased closures either.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I personally think the approval of DisneylandForward has pushed any major redo of Tomorrowland out another 15-20 years. All of the ambitious imagineers will want to focus on that (DLF).

I foresee this next 10 months being the finishing of any ongoing projects (HM & TBA) as well as refurbs (like DLRR & Space Mountain and anything else) in preparation for the 70th.

Then the next 5 years after that will be the push to get the new Avengers ride, Avatar Land, and Eastern Gateway opened for the 75th Quarter Quell.

Phroobar

I personally think the approval of DisneylandForward has pushed any major redo of Tomorrowland out another 15-20 years. All of the ambitious imagineers will want to focus on that (DLF).

I foresee this next 10 months being the finishing of any ongoing projects (HM & TBA) as well as refurbs (like DLRR & Space Mountain and anything else) in preparation for the 70th.

Then the next 5 years after that will be the push to get the new Avengers ride, Avatar Land, and Eastern Gateway opened for the 75th Quarter Quell.
That's more realistic considering these executives. We'll see simple dark rides like Tokyo got. Nothing really creative or original.

TheRealSkull

While this might be true, I don't believe it is impossible to work on them simultaneously. I don't think we will get anything concrete announced at D23, but I think what fans want is to be reassured Disney is thinking about it and developing it. A single piece of concept art, promising fans that it is being thought through thoroughly and carefully, and you have made it the best parks panel ever.

Ismael Flores

The work wall corridors running through Tomorrowland were painfully narrow. I'm sure they could get away with larger guest paths this time, but probably would be better served closing only one side of the land at a time, if not the entire area.
whatever they do, They need to tear down that huge round building. It takes up way to much space. The property it sits on can be better utilized instead of trying to cram things in it to fit the shape.

Ismael Flores

i would think that trying to shoehorn new rides and a new design is what caused the fiasco that last renovation. There is only so many coats of paints that can be applied to those planters and buildings. All those buildings are old and any new construction would require new plumbing, electrical and whatever other retrofit they find is needed. They really just need to tear down as much as possible and just leave the main building for Star Tours, Buzz and Space mountain in tact.

The rest including pizza place and all that wasted space behind it also should come down. Use those three major structures as a starting point for a new land that hopefully has a second level integrated so that the space mountain queue, a relocated rocket rods and in my suggestions a relocated monorail station can be accessed. The monorail station would be great over the train station.

Ismael Flores

So kind of a People Mover/Test Track thing. It's a great idea. Rocket Rods with a story.
with a proper track LOL. I always laugh when rocket rods are brought up. the place i work used to do graphic arts for several car manufacturers. The rocket rods along with Testrack in WDW were part of a huge campaign for the sponsor that was investing millions on both attractions. the plan involved a much more highly immersive attraction for Disneyland, proper tracks, visual effects, indoor scenes the whole works-A proper thrill ride. Then the Orlando team screwed it all up

Phroobar

whatever they do, They need to tear down that huge round building. It takes up way to much space. The property it sits on can be better utilized instead of trying to cram things in it to fit the shape.
Horizons 2.0 would fit in it. I do agree. Make something more artistically pleasing than that old building. It's ugly compared to the original Space Mountain complex. Return the indoor theater to outdoor stage.

iu

DisneyAJ

Horizons 2.0 would fit in it. I do agree. Make something more artistically pleasing than that old building. It's ugly compared to the original Space Mountain complex. Return the indoor theater to outdoor stage.

iu
I don’t know why they haven’t tried going to this and doubling up Tomorrowland. They would add so much space putting restaurants and what not on top of attractions and it’s the one land it would thematically make sense

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom