New to board, have ?

confusedone

Hi just joined the board, I have been reading alot of interesting post. I was on the Disney site for a couple of months, it was just too much for me to decide on. I went to our local travel agency and they took care of everything. We wanted to come in the beginning of June but they couldn't get the resort or a flight we wanted then. So we are going to be there on June19-25. We are staying at Fort Wildnerness Cabins, plan on visiting MK, AK and MGM. My kids convinced me to go to IOA for a day and Gatorland for 1/2 day. The travel agent got us the tickets for Gatorland with our package. She could not get the IOA tickets, she said we should get the tickets when we get there? She also has a rental car we pick up from the airport. I guess that is the plan, sort of? I just don't know which parks to do on what days I guess? This is the only big vacation my family has been on and I don't want to mess things up. The cost was singinfianct for us and I want things to go smoothly. My kids are 2, 5, 10 and 16. We choose IOA because it seemed to have more things for younger kids? 16 year old wants to go to US, but I don't think the other kids would get as much out of it. I guess I am just looking for some tips to help me along. We are planning on buying supplies for the cabing when we get there. I think we will eat breakfast in the cabins and have lunch out. Don't know about dinner?

DisneyWood

Welcome to the boards

confusedone said:
Hi just joined the board, I have been reading alot of interesting post. I was on the Disney site for a couple of months, it was just too much for me to decide on. I went to our local travel agency and they took care of everything. We wanted to come in the beginning of June but they couldn't get the resort or a flight we wanted then. So we are going to be there on June19-25. We are staying at Fort Wildnerness Cabins, plan on visiting MK, AK and MGM. My kids convinced me to go to IOA for a day and Gatorland for 1/2 day. The travel agent got us the tickets for Gatorland with our package. She could not get the IOA tickets, she said we should get the tickets when we get there? She also has a rental car we pick up from the airport. I guess that is the plan, sort of? I just don't know which parks to do on what days I guess? This is the only big vacation my family has been on and I don't want to mess things up. The cost was singinfianct for us and I want things to go smoothly. My kids are 2, 5, 10 and 16. We choose IOA because it seemed to have more things for younger kids? 16 year old wants to go to US, but I don't think the other kids would get as much out of it. I guess I am just looking for some tips to help me along. We are planning on buying supplies for the cabing when we get there. I think we will eat breakfast in the cabins and have lunch out. Don't know about dinner?

I think that WDW now offers a shuttle from the airport, that would cut down the costs for the rental car. Also, I think you can get a shuttle, if not, a taxi, to go to the other places. You will not need the car while you are attending the WDW parks.

Do you not plan on going to Epcot or Downtown Disney? I think both of those places are great. There are kidcots (children's craft stations) in Epcot, that your 2, 5 & 10 year old would enjoy. I would definitely get a few priority seatings for character meals. I think the trails end restaurant @ Fort Wilderness is relatively inexpensive. Go purchase the unofficial guide to WDW to check park attendence on each day. It will also give you other ideas and what not to miss during your visit.

I don't think you should feel like your are on a schedule. Relax and do what you feel. Remember, this is a vacation. Our family never ventures out of WDW, unless it is back to the airport. :cry: :cry:

I would also plan on rest time each day, especially for the younger children. They will be over-stimulated and will need their rest, or you will have cranky kids. Have a great time.

Upvote 0

confusedone

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I would like to go to the Boardwalk, if we can fit it in. My kids were not interested in Epcot at all. The agent that helps us said we would need the minivan to go to Gatorland and IOA? I didn't really know, but we have already paid for everything so I guess we are stuck with that.

Upvote 0

barnum42

I don't know what sort of deals you get from your country (or indeed what country) but thought I'd check -does the hire cost of your rental van include insurance and all the local taxes? You may wish to verify this as a lot of "offers" given to British tourists do not include this and they end up with a hefty bill when they go to pick it up.

If you are going to IOA because it's suitable for younger children I would have to say that is not really the case - it does have attractions for younger children, but is primarily a thrill ride destination. There will be people on the boards who can give you a more detailed run down of IOA if I have got my facts wrong here.

Will you have park hopper tickets? If not, you can use the fact that Animal Kingdom closes earlier than the other parks to go to Board walk and/or Downtown Disney.

A great site to do homework on is http://allearsnet.com/ they have lots of information on the various parks and the restaurants within them.

Upvote 0

wildbill

You may want to reconsider Epcot-to us it is the BEST park. My son loved it at 8 years old, 10 years old and 12 years old. There is so much to do for all ages. As for the rental van the travel agent should be able to change or cancel it. IOA tickets can be purchased in advance and at a discount from Pam at kingdom konsultants. There is a small section IOA for young kids but it is much more of a thrill park.

Bill

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Barnum is quite correct on IOA. It is NOT geared to younger guests. In fact I think there might only be 1 ride that your 2 and 4 year old will be able to even get on (Depends on height) IOA is a thrill park. You would be much better going to EPCOT or Sea World.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

Welcome to the boards! :wave:

I wouldn't take a 2yr old & a 5yr old to IOA. There are too many height restrictions in that park for little kids. I took my daughter there after it first opened and was sorry that I did not take the time to look at the universal studios website for height restrictions. There was really nothing for her to do at that park - she was 8 at the time and was able to ride Spiderman, Jurassic Park, Dr. Suess and the Suess merry-go-round. It was a complete waste of money, we should have gone to Universal Studios (next door to IOA) instead.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! Post a report when you get back.

Upvote 0

Sharon L

Definitely plan to go to Epcot. I think your kids will enjoy a lot of the attractions there. My son has loved Epcot since his first trip at age 3. I think there is a lot more for kids at Epcot than there is at the Studios.

I agree with Gucci65 that you should skip IOA, because there will be very little for your two youngest to do. We went there when my son was 4, and there were only a few rides he could go on, and he is tall for his age. You should definitely go to Universal Studios instead.

Upvote 0

confusedone

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. I was looking at the website for US and IOA and it really seems like there is not alot at either one for the little kids. Maybe we should consider Sea World or just take a day off?

Upvote 0

barnum42

confusedone said:
Thanks for all the help. I was looking at the website for US and IOA and it really seems like there is not alot at either one for the little kids. Maybe we should consider Sea World or just take a day off?
Why not go for the Disney Set and give Epcot a go? Don't let the word "Educational" frighten the kids away :lol: If you have a park hopper ticker and it turns out they don't like it, head back to one of the other parks they do like.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I have to agree with Barnum. I think you would be missing a great park if you left out EPCOT. There is so much to see and do there including one of the newer rides called Mission:Space. M:S is a groundbreaking new ride which was developed in conjunction with NASA. Right next door is Test Track which is sposored by GM. Definitely big fun for the entire family ( depending on height restrictions) Some great restaurants such as Le Cellier are located in World Showcase in EPCOT and let me not get started on some of the entertainment such as Off Kilter in the Canada Pavilion!!! My nephews and niece at 11, 7 and 4 years old LOVED EPCOT and cant wait to go again!!! Sea World is very nice but the focus there is the shows. There are exactly two rides there that I recall. I loved the Roller Coaster, The Kraken, but it is a definite big person ride. I would actually agree with your son in that I would go to Universal Studios over IOA to accomodate the little ones. Id schedule in one of Disney's parks for each of four full days. Id do Gatorland on an off day to relax and US in there somewhere. Do you know what type of tickets for disney you have gotten with your package?? You may have a length of stay pass which is good for the whole time you are there!!! Check that out and let me know. The more info I have the better I can guide you!!! Belle

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I'd say there's a lot for kids at Epcot, and a lot that's "Hands on," too. Between the hands-on areas in Innoventions and Journey Into Imagination, you'll be glad you went, but you also have kid-friendly attractions like Honey I Shrunk The Audience. Everyone except the 2 year old will probably dig Mission: Space & Test Track. PLUS even if you walk around World Showcase, there are a lot of traveling entertainers who really ARE entertaining.

What kind of tickets did you get? Are they just one-day, one-park tickets, or do you have the option to hop from park to park each day? If you do, I'd say try Epcot, but if the kids really aren't into it, take the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom for the rest of the day. OR, if your tickets include the water parks or Disneyquest, go to one of them instead. I'll bet a dollar your 16 & 10 year old are most interested in IOA, and if they really want to go (and you don't see another trip forthcoming) then go. But you could also probably save money by using Disney Coach service to get to and from the airport, then hire a cab for the days at IOA & Gatorworld. Should be cheaper than a rented car for the length of your stay.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom