New Theme Park Proposed Outside Atlanta - Competition for Disney?

alphac2005

The concept art looks close to what a somewhat talented 10 year old might come up with... The proposed development is up at the Georgia state line and it ... I give up. :) I bet almost anything it won't ever see the light of day. I'm off GA 400 and have no interest in driving to a theme park up there.

Daniel Johnson

Given I'm 3 hours from downtown atl, and 4 & a half from Disney...I'll take the trip down to the world any weekend over north atl. The only time we go up there is for braves games...

HiYa Pal

What's funny, I live in Coastal Georgia and there was a theme park planned, and just over 700 acres were purchased, and it sounds somewhat similar to this, but as of about 6 months ago, the land was back up for sale from the company that bought it......

GrumpyFan

Pity this is probably a scam.
The Atlanta area in general is badly underserved, park-wise.

At least Atlanta has a park, even if it is Six Flags.
Here in Houston, we have NOTHING after Six Flags sold the land and left town almost 10 years ago, because the land was supposedly worth more than the park, yet it's still vacant and only used for overflow parking at Reliant Stadium.

lazyboy97o

Pity this is probably a scam.
The Atlanta area in general is badly underserved, park-wise.
Is it though? Six Flags and Herschend, who is even headquartered in the area, haven't shown any interest in being aggressive in the area. The Stone Mountain water park was scuttled a few years back, and that was it in terms of real proposals. Six Flags's properties, to be fair, have been left to tree water as the company focused elsewhere.

BuzzKillington

Definitely not a threat to WDW but we do have our boat up on Allatoona Lake which is about 10 minutes from Emerson and this will be another fun thing to do during the summers while living up there (if it is ever built, that is). Now I am wondering if the building of the Tellus Science Museum a few years ago in this same vicinity was by coincidence?

GrumpyFan

And it's one of the better Six Flags parks. They actually have an original dark ride designed by some Disney guys there.

I grew up in North Ga and visited that park many times up until about 10 yrs ago, when I moved to Houston. It's always been a great park, but they've struggled in recent years to keep it safe and friendly to visitors.

Arthur Wellesley

And it's one of the better Six Flags parks. They actually have an original dark ride designed by some Disney guys there.

I LOVE Monster Mansion. One of the best dark rides you'll find off Disney soil. So many fond memories riding this. Granted, the marsh scene may be a tad intense for younger riders used to nothing more dramatic than IASW & POTC as far as themed boat rides go. But it is still a remarkable & detailed attraction that requires multiple ridings to catch everything. While that particular Six Flags won't be breaking any sort of record with coaster height & design (thanks to a nearby small airport & it's regulations), Monster Mansion itself is worth a visit to that park.

And I shouldn't be too harsh on their coasters either. They do a good job with what height limits they have. The place will never be a Cedar Point or SFMM for sure, but still a fairly decent collection.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I grew up in North Ga and visited that park many times up until about 10 yrs ago, when I moved to Houston. It's always been a great park, but they've struggled in recent years to keep it safe and friendly to visitors.
Yeah, the company's financial toils have really taken its toll as slashed prices and gimmicks were implemented across the chain and investment was sent elsewhere. Ive never been able to confirm it, but have long seen mention that the original Six Flags Over parks were not wholly owned by Six Flags, with Wynn's heirs still owning a nice chunk and demanding those parks be better attended to. I wonder, if that was true, if something there changed like someone who still cared about Angus' parks passed on.

AndyMagic

I'm not a betting man but I'd put quite a bit of money on this not being built just like that ambitious theme park development near Mohegan Sun in Connecticut that made headlines in the early 2000's and then quietly disappeared without a trace.

BuzzKillington

In all likelihood this development is looking to tap into the visitors to the Bobby *** (former Atlanta Braves manager) baseball complex in Bartow. But as competition for WDW (or even Six Flags); not really....

I had no clue what you were talking about but then my wife told me about the LakePoint Sporting Community you were alluding to.

http://www.lakepointsports.com/

It appears LakePoint is building the first Polercoaster in the U.S. as well.

Last edited:

ProfSavage

Bartow county isn't near TN, it's Cartersville. It is the beginning of the mountains proper, but that's about it. Hell, the Steeplechase that's ran every year is on the Bartow/Floyd line. Got a ways to go before you get to Chatanooga when in Rome or Cartersville.

Granted, even if Cartersville is exurban of Atlanta and a lot of commuters drive into the city and the Perimeter to work, still not Atlanta either. However, how many people do I know that live in McDonough or Peachtree City or Snellville and say they're from Atlanta?

Atlanta is kind of an amorphous name now for the state capitol and like 8 other counties and a few dozen municipalities that surround the Gold Dome.

fosse76

Yeah, the company's financial toils have really taken its toll as slashed prices and gimmicks were implemented across the chain and investment was sent elsewhere. Ive never been able to confirm it, but have long seen mention that the original Six Flags Over parks were not wholly owned by Six Flags, with Wynn's heirs still owning a nice chunk and demanding those parks be better attended to. I wonder, if that was true, if something there changed like someone who still cared about Angus' parks passed on.
True. Neither Six Flags over Texas nor Six Flags over Georgia are owned by Six Flags. They are owned by investors (some are heirs, but most aren't and there is no real overlap of investors for both properties). After SFOT opened, a separate entity was formed for management and expansion purposes resulting in Six Flags over Georgia. Six Flags over Mid-America was solely funded by this corporate entity and not investors. Investors accused Six Flags of neglecting these two properties, resulting in Six Flags actually losing them management contract for Six Flags over Texas to Premier Parks. Six Flags was then sold a few days later by Time-Warner to the same company, who over-expanded and caused most of Six Flags' current issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom