News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Potter is not Nintendo/Mario... I don't believe I said it would "ruin" WDW.. Universal will never be a destination for a segment of Disney guests for whatever reason. Universal is in a position to become the primary destination for many, aside from very sheltered Disney guests.. Heck some WDW guests swear they will never go to DL.. Universal will never take catch up to WDW but their goal is to take more people away from Disney for more days and they will absolutely accomplish this with the new park and they may even take away 3-4 days of that weeks vacation.
I believe EU will be successful. I hope it will be successful.

But I just don't see it making a significant dent in WDW's attendance.

Phicinfan

I believe EU will be successful. I hope it will be successful.

But I just don't see it making a significant dent in WDW's attendance.
I am of two minds on this.
Reality is most folks can't afford to take more than a "week" off of work(so 5-7 days).
I will throw out opinion that most don't like the idea of splitting a vacation between Disney and Universal. Not if they are traveling from long distance.

So it may come down to a choice, and if Disney can't keep adding NEW and added attractions, then I could see some making the other choice

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No, but they completely changed the theme park industry. Most big openings at WDW since have been trying to capture what Universal got so right with Wizarding World.
Yes, but did that make Disney worried about declining revenue? If it's a situation of "a rising tide lifts all boats" then there's no need for panic.

Also, Cars Land, the prototypical fully immersive one-IP land beat WWoHP by two years.

DznyRktekt

This year we have made 2 separate trips to Orlando and visited Universal both times without saying hello to the Mouse. We have one more trip booked for December. The ease of a Universal trip is very appealing. Waiting for EPCOT and the WDW Railroad to be complete before going back.

999th Happy Haunt

Yes, but did that make Disney worried about declining revenue? If it's a situation of "a rising tide lifts all boats" then there's no need for panic.

Also, Cars Land, the prototypical fully immersive one-IP land beat WWoHP by two years.
Other way around, Hogsmeade opened in 2010, Cars Land 2012.

Edit: If you really want to see the first immersive one-IP land, I believe it’s Jurassic Park in IoA in 1999.

bhg469

This year we have made 2 separate trips to Orlando and visited Universal both times without saying hello to the Mouse. We have one more trip booked for December. The ease of a Universal trip is very appealing. Waiting for EPCOT and the WDW Railroad to be complete before going back.
I feel like you're in the minority sadly. This board is obviously skewed but there are many people that refuse to set foot in Universal and I think their reasoning is most of the time absurd but everyone is entitled to their opinion.. I'm sold on them after visiting for the first time in about 20 years.. I am not a potter fan, but the potter lands are incredible.. IMO these touches are absolutely going to set the tone for Epic Universe.

brb1006

I stumbled upon another website (whose reliability I can’t vouch for, and which I’m not sure I can share here) reporting that this project may be back on and even enlarged in scale. Have any of our insiders here heard anything to that effect, or is it just a baseless rumour?
a793ceef-75c9-4973-b16e-7e08ac045c41_text.gif

brb1006

I miss when Magic Kingdom used to have other theaters (either outdoor or indoor) that performed different stage shows at other lands instead of mainly Cinderella Castle like it is nowadays.

Tommorowland had "Tommorowland Theater" aka "Galaxy Theater" which was demolished a decade or two ago .

While Fantasyland once had Fantasy Faire Stage

Stuff like this is what made MK extra special compared to now. It's why I'm still sad about the planned Theater in Main Street never happening.

And no, the current stage at Tommorowland doesn't count!
MagicKingdom-TomorrowlandSpeedwayOverlayChristmasDecor.jpg

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
From the article on this...

"I’m told that internal polling and temperature checks have determined that the Splash Mountain removal for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure is no longer expected to be a major boost for the park"

Would even those most incompetent management think for a second that the re-theme would give the park a "major boost"?
But its been planned for soooo many years in Florida bc they knew how successful Tiana would be... ;)

fgmnt

I miss when Magic Kingdom used to have other theaters (either outdoor or indoor) that performed different stage shows at other lands instead of mainly Cinderella Castle like it is nowadays.

Tommorowland had "Tommorowland Theater" which was demolished a decade or two ago .

And Galaxy Palace Theater

While Fantasyland once had Fantasy Faire Stage

Stuff like this is what made MK extra special compared to now.

It's why I'm still sad about the planned Theater in Main Street never happening.

And no, the current stage at Tommorowland doesn't count!
MagicKingdom-TomorrowlandSpeedwayOverlayChristmasDecor.jpg

Galaxy Palace and Tomorrowland Theater were the same place. Main Street Theater would have been the replacement.

brb1006

If they really do dust these plans off, I would love for the return of Mickey’s ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas during the holidays.

This was my favorite show at Magic Kingdom and I was very sad when we lost the theater to a parking lot…

Remember when MK used to have three different Christmas stage shows instead of only being one?

There was "Sparkling Christmas Spectacular"

"Mickey's Twas The Night Before Christmas"

And "Miss Minnie's Country Christmas"

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Potter is not Nintendo/Mario...

You're right -- Potter is much bigger than Nintendo/Mario.

If you look at pure revenue it seems like Mario is bigger, but that's not the correct way to measure it. Mario has had dozens of video game releases (along with other things, but the vast majority of revenue is from the video games) over 30+ years. They're also not all unique sales, so aggregating them into one whole gives you a very misleading number.

Most individual Mario titles (basically eliminating ones that came packaged with a system) sell around 10 million copies (which is great!). That doesn't tell you everyone who played them, because some people rent them, buy used, borrow from a friend, etc. -- so let's be exceedingly generous and double it to 20 million. As mentioned above, those aren't 100% unique sales, so you can't just aggregate them across all titles. Some percentage (and likely a relatively large percentage) of sales are to the same individual people; i.e. the same person has bought the 5 most recent Mario games, so those 5 sales only account for one customer. That doesn't matter to Nintendo because they're all sales, but it absolutely does matter for something like theme park attendance.

The first HP book has sold over 120 million copies. There are, of course, some repeat sales in that number, but there's no way to finesse the numbers to get that and Mario even close to one another in terms of cultural reach. The movies also sold something like 100+ million tickets each, and not everyone who saw the movies also read the books -- there's plenty of overlap in those numbers but it's certainly not 1 to 1; there are plenty of people who only ever saw the films.

None of that is to say Mario isn't a valuable property, because it absolutely is. But it's not on the same level as Harry Potter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom