News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Walt d

remember ***, AKA WOW THATS FRESH?
Security? Dont they no the only reason anyone’s coming to Orlando is Disney they should make that whole airport Disney store that’s what would make sense . But there looking for that English person that brought a can of Spam it sets all the metal detectors off thanks for that .

Castle Cake Apologist

Security? Dont they no the only reason anyone’s coming to Orlando is Disney they should make that whole airport Disney store that’s what would make sense . But there looking for that English person that brought a can of Spam it sets all the metal detectors off thanks for that .

Are you having trouble figuring out what thread you're posting in?

Kinda late to this party. This theatre was canceled due to the budget for the theatre being moved to purchasing new monorails. This was following the door incident on monorail red. I have no idea if somebody else has already stated this. Don't feel like reading through 93 pages.

TP2000

Plus...would the theatre really have cost that much? Isn’t it just...a building. The likes of which go up everywhere.

These types of big theaters are expensive, and WDW has never attempted something like this before. They have a 2,000 seat Broadway-caliber theater at Disneyland Resort, the Hyperion Theatre, and it's impressive to see how much money they invest in lighting, sound, special effects, etc. Not to mention the higher caliber of stage talent they put into more lavish shows there.

Again, nothing like that exists in WDW. These types of Broadway-caliber facilities are very expensive to build from scratch.

While WDW has several theaters that can seat 1,000+ people, the scale and scope of this type of theater is on an entirely different level.

1,500 seat Finding Nemo - The Musical at WDW = Wooden benches on all one level, warehouse style building.
latest

2,000 seat Hyperion Theatre at Disneyland Resort = Upholstered seats on four levels (Orchestra, Upper Orchestra, Mezzanine, Balcony)
Hyperion-Theater-%E2%80%93-Disney%E2%80%99s-California-Adventure.jpg

Last edited:

UpAllNight

@marni1971 I kind of meant surely the money saved isn’t substantial enough to fund an entire attraction in itself, unless it’s a very cheap overlay

@TP2000 It does look impressive, I just have it down mentally as costing like a 10th of a good attraction

I think what I’m trying to get at is this is all surely peanuts for a company like Disney...couldn’t they have done both? (whatever the new thing is) I just feel MK needs some genuine love, and this seemed like a thoughtful, helpful addition. If Tron gets cancelled and funds get reallocated, people sit up and pay attention. For this? Hard to get excited about what the money could be used for.

TP2000

@marni1971I think what I’m trying to get at is this is all surely peanuts for a company like Disney...couldn’t they have done both? (whatever the new thing is) I just feel MK needs some genuine love, and this seemed like a thoughtful, helpful addition

I agree with you. The decision to cancel this project after it had already begun was baffling.

UpAllNight

I don’t think the rumoured additions make sense from the point of view of improving MK? If this money is going to Stitch or Tiki...then it’s senseless imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom