News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are you a fan of the comics? I never got into them, so as a fan purely of the movies I enjoyed it.

As for Last Jedi, it was far from perfect. I did listen to an interesting interview with Rian Johnson on Filmcast (http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-e...-johnson-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi/). He discussed a few plot points that people had issues with. I'll spoiler the below but it's more of a spoiler for the podcast than the movie:

• Treatment of Rey
  • Treatment of Snoke
Basically he was writing the movie before Episode 7 came out. All he had to work off of was a script. He knew the question of who Rey was had to be addressed but the fan theories of Snoke all came out after Episode 7 came out. Who Snoke was, wasn't that important to his writing.

As for Rey, he basically said they considered absolutely every possible theory and the reason they went the way they did was because in Episode 7 Rey wants to fit into the story but doesn't know how she does. The worst possible thing for her to hear is that she doesn't have famous lineage. It also reinforces the idea that anyone can be a Jedi.

He also discussed the force projection, and the idea of that was suggested by Kylo at the beginning of the movie when he and Rey were first connected by Snoke. Kylo said something to the effect of, this type of projection would kill you.

There was very little discussed about the Finn/Rose storyline other than one treatment had Finn and Poe hanging out on Canto Bight, but ultimately never even handed in a draft with that story line because Finn and Poe basically just encourage each other, they don't challenge each other.

Personally, I thought the Finn/Rose storyline was the weakest part of the movie, but I also felt like there were many instances where the audience was setup for a big payoff that just wasn't there. I also feel like Episode 9 very well could make me like Episode 8 better.

Not a comic book guy...so I'm not comparing movies to 65 years of print.

My new metric is simple: "does it look "cool"? Or like ridiculous crap made for 16 year olds from Hong Kong"?

It's actually an easy, fail proof system.

I'm not gonna go into Star Wars...we've had this discussion well explored. I can say that all the things I was hoping didn't happen going into this one appears to have happened. We'll see what happens next...

It's "something to watch"

EricsBiscuit

Trackless rides have quickly joined cupcakes, projection mapping, festivals at epcot as the hallmarks of TDO.
Is that a bad thing?
If the budget is similar to that for the theater I would not expect any sort of classical ride. Tron should be it for the MKs 50th. Theater money should go to Epcot.

IMO.
I think what we're missing here is that it costs way more to run a theater than to run an attraction like MM. I think they will do MM because it's awesome and fits with the colonial part of AL. They could tuck away the showbuilding and voila. Anyway, it may cost more to build an attraction like MM upfront, but the overhead might be too much over time.

Haymarket2008

Inside Universal "insider" says it will be a clone of the Moana show coming to Hong Kong Disneyland. Open air theatre just beyond the train tracks. Lame. Waste of space. The Main Street Theatre could host literally anything. This one? Not so much. AND a waste of a great expansion pad.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Inside Universal "insider" says it will be a clone of the Moana show coming to Hong Kong Disneyland. Open air theatre just beyond the train tracks. Lame. Waste of space. The Main Street Theatre could host literally anything. This one? Not so much. AND a waste of a great expansion pad.
Why in the heck would you trust that source? Vet out your sources before you you believe them.

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes

Well, it's a better place for a large theater for crowd control. Not my preferred choice for that pad

MaximumEd

Well...maybe if they have a big budget to play with? Their off the shelf stuff is pretty rough...

Not like the two worst coasters ever built: the great American scream machine and batman and robin: the chiller at Six Flags, G.A....but rough nonetheless

Rode the Scream Machine for the last time this past fall. I grew up going there and have ridden it a million times, but I can’t take it any more. Really don’t see how the trains hold themselves together as rough as it is. This is coming from a coaster fanatic that will ride anything. It’s that bad.

britain

Okay, okay, all my high hopes have tumbled. BUT, my family loved Moana. The music is terrific, and we'd love to see it as a live show.

Reality tastes bitter sometimes, but this isn't that bad.

Haymarket2008

Okay, okay, all my high hopes have tumbled. BUT, my family loved Moana. The music is terrific, and we'd love to see it as a live show.

Reality tastes bitter sometimes, but this isn't that bad.

The ONLY silver lining is that Tiki Birds will be spared....hopefully...? But I totally agree with you on Moana. I loved it and it absolutely deserves a stage show treatment. I'm just.....hesitant about this being the option to take up that space....As long as it isn't replacing anything I love, I really can't complain too much.

UpAllNight

Inside Universal is a great forum, but they’re atrocious for Disney rumours. To the extent marni’s D23 info was largely mocked, and then everyone went very quiet. To be honest, they’re not particularly great at Universal inside info either. That’s not to say it isn’t great to read, but they’re unreliable on these things.

As a paradox to the above though, I think a theatre in Adventureland is the most likely outcome when it’s all weighed up but I think that can be deduced by thinking logically rather than any insider info.

Nmoody1

List of possibilities:

Raging Spirits
Roaring Rapids (but without the mountain)
Camp Discovery (rope course)
African-themed theater complex (like Festival of Lion King at Hong Kong)
Polynesian-themed theater complex (like Moana show going at Hong Kong)
Mystic Manor
Shanghai Pirates: Battle for Sunken Treasure (boat ride)
Shanghai Pirates Stunt Show

Any I'm forgetting?

Budget-wise, it's easiest to imagine the Main Street theater being swapped out for an Adventureland theater. But was it confirmed that it's going to be a ride?

Camp Discovery will NEVER make it to the US... for ADA reasons, way too many people wouldn't deal with the heights, it would be a nightmare!

Nmoody1

Except it's not a Moana show... It's a show that features Moana... along with pooh and friends, Nick and Judy and Pochahontas. The theatre is also a temporary structure

WildcatDen

Umm... Many. M-a-n-y.
I think Many would have included Minnie, no?
One of the last things Serpico mentioned to me, some X months ago, was in addition to a TL attraction (Tron) being planned for the 50th, there was discussion about a Theater and a Mystic Manor style Dark Ride. The assumption was the theater would win out as it was more of a capacity solver than a draw. Can't say if this cancellation means a dark ride is back on the table as I have heard nothing from Serpico in quite a while.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Rode the Scream Machine for the last time this past fall. I grew up going there and have ridden it a million times, but I can’t take it any more. Really don’t see how the trains hold themselves together as rough as it is. This is coming from a coaster fanatic that will ride anything. It’s that bad.

Sorry...great adventure in New Jersey...not great America....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom