New Test Track ride vehicle debuts

BlackCauldron

Thats what I've read as well. But they put a TV depicting the same car in an actual crash test right in front so its almost like it was never deactivated!

It used to break down alot. But, on top of that, I think it also became a capacity issue. The crash sequence takes some time to reload. I remember riding it back in the day when Test Track was still "new" and half of the time my car would round the corner and I would see the car retreating back to reload for it's next crash pass. It seemed like when they added more cars to increase capacity, that particular effect was never active for everyone.

I've noticed the same capacity issue with some other rides - particularly Splash Mountain. Again, I remember riding back in the day - if you went early enough in the morning, the ride was timed in such a way that you NEVER saw the log in front of you. EVER. This was especially important during the second drop of the ride (the one in pitch black darkness into the Laughing Place). Originally, since you could not see the log in front of you, you had no idea what was coming. Now, you can see the log in front of you drop and you can hear the screams. It's not a huge deal, but it was one of those little surprises that made the ride interesting.

rioriz

Rode one this weekend! Sleeker but almost exactly like the previous cars. All the effects were working though!!

RSoxNo1

Are we just assuming that we'll see them continue to cycle on the new cars leading up to the refurbishment to hopefully cut down on some of the downtime?

The other option would be that specific cars required significant maintenance so they put them through the entire transition to the new vehicles.

NoChesterHester

Are we just assuming that we'll see them continue to cycle on the new cars leading up to the refurbishment to hopefully cut down on some of the downtime?

The other option would be that specific cars required significant maintenance so they put them through the entire transition to the new vehicles.

How many refurbed vehicles are there?

t3techcom18

Just to let you guys know and to give an update, if anything, the internal CM word is that the refurb has been pushed back, with a starting month now of April.

No news as to why, but if the 6 month refurb time-frame is official (which is pretty much what every single person is saying), it will indeed be closed during the summer. Weird decision, I know, but it comes with near-absolute confirmation.

Just to let you guys know and to give an update, if anything, the internal CM word is that the refurb has been pushed back, with a starting month now of April.

No news as to why, but if the 6 month refurb time-frame is official (which is pretty much what every single person is saying), it will indeed be closed during the summer. Weird decision, I know, but it comes with near-absolute confirmation.

Crap. That means that it may be closed around the time we go next year. :(

NoChesterHester

WDI meeting in Detroit not go as planned??

maxairmike

That's almost the exact same thing I was hearing around the holidays last year regarding a June closing date for a 6 month refurb. Sounds like they keep hitting roadblocks.... *cymbal crash* :D

Makes me wonder what happened up in Detroit, and if anything the Imagineers decided they want to add/change will actually make it in.

janoimagine

Yes, there was a meeting in the D. 9 from WDI, the biggest name I saw on the list was Trevor Bryant, about as many or more from GM, including a few of there top designers. It took place last week across 2 days. I posted this in the other test Track thread so I'm not sure which one is more active but here is what I know:

"I've been getting bits and pieces of information regarding this project from inside friends and here is what I know (some of which has already been elluded to by formum members):

Complete overhaul of the pre and post show areas, new videos, kiosks, ect.
Complete overhaul of the ride itself, the track layout will remain the same, however the vignettes, or show sequences will be reworked or replaced entirely. It was hinted that a tron like look with futuristic lights and design could be one of these new vignettes. Expect Chevy to have a much stronger presence or be the only presence on the ride. The ride theme will change from vehicle testing to something along the lines of 'from concept to reality' (from what I was told this is still somewhat influx).

According to my source GM will be producing or providing the shells for the cars as well as some of the electronics like video screens and tech inside the ride vehicles and inside the ride itself as opposed to WDI which is apparently a little break from the norm (not sure, perhaps Lee or Martin has a little more knowledge on how that works in terms of sponsors providing these types of working show elements) it does make sense to me considering the ride vehicle is a car and they are car manufacturers.

I know they have a budget signed and approved by GM and from what I have been told it is a substantial one for this refurb, I was also told that GM is set to ink a 10 year deal to continue to sponsor the pavilion through 2022.

I do not know when they will be starting this refurb, or how long it would take, but based on what I have been told so far I would think it would at the very least be 6 months or more.

While I cannot confirm 100% that all these things will happen, I do trust this person and they are in a position within the company that would provide them access to this knowledge. Perhaps some of our more senior members can validate a few of these claims."

eddy21

I do trust this person and they are in a position within the company that would provide them access to this knowledge.

They probably won't be for long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom