News New Stroller Size/Wagon Rules and Enforcement - Effective May 1 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

When I was at WDW around Christmas, I do not remember noticing these. That’s not to say there weren’t any at all, but these are, for now, unique and hard to miss.

I went a week ago, and there were quite a few. I’m wondering if a stroller rental company is pushing the Keenz (pun intended).
They are.

Kman101

how about: don't bring toddlers? Wait until they're old enough to really appreciate everything and can walk on their own...the way we did things back in the day.

Because it's really the parents who want to go .... so they will bring their infant. I don't understand it. But I know it's a touchy subject. And many parents get defensive about the strollers because in reality, they want the stroller to cart around their stuff. (This doesn't negate the many parents who genuinely just want a stroller for their kid ... but let's call it what it is most of the time ...)

ImperfectPixie

Because it's really the parents who want to go .... so they will bring their infant. I don't understand it. But I know it's a touchy subject.
We brought ours for their first trip when they were 2 1/2 and 7 (in 2013). Mostly because we didn't want our oldest to experience it much later than that age...but we immediately wished we'd brought him when he was younger. It's really something to see the parks through the eyes of your children when they're super little - it makes the magic new again. The stroller thing was a MAJOR hassle though. We still sort of needed a stroller for our little guy on our trip in 2015, but we were finally able to ditch it for our 2016 trip and it was a miraculous feeling to not have to lug it around.

Kman101

We brought ours for their first trip when they were 2 1/2 and 7 (in 2013). Mostly because we didn't want our oldest to experience it much later than that age...but we immediately wished we'd brought him when he was younger. It's really something to see the parks through the eyes of your children when they're super little - it makes the magic new again. The stroller thing was a MAJOR hassle though. We still sort of needed a stroller for our little guy on our trip in 2015, but we were finally able to ditch it for our 2016 trip and it was a miraculous feeling to not have to lug it around.

I understand not wanting your other kids to go without. It's gotta be tough. I just see the struggle many have with an infant and I don't understand. Look, if I had one, I'd probably be like "we're GOING! I WANT TO GO" lol, but it's not always the best idea. JMO. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm really not :) Just an opinion that for everyone's happiness ... I'd wait. But that's me :) Again though I get the other kids would have to go without, so not entirely fair I suppose. And also, I know it's absolutely beautiful to see the park through a kids eyes. I get it. But are you doing it for the baby, or for you? Just wondering :)

I've just seen such a misuse of strollers. Look, I get it. I'd love a spot for my stuff if I had kids ... lol. Because of the few who take advantage and abuse the stroller, now others are going to have to measure their stroller .... no one who goes to WDW can have nice things ;) lol

For what it's worth, I don't think they should, nor will the ever, ban strollers. But it's out of control.

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
$390 and it still comes with plastic "tires." 🤣

Seriously? I spent $75 for a Chicco "umbrella stroller" (it collapses into essentially a fat umbrella footprint) and comes with a travel bag and a strap that I can wear over my shoulder. It's bright orange, so you can find it. It weighs next to nothing and you can get on/off the bus with a flick of your foot. Okay, it's for a single child... But how much more do you really need?

bf23e097-5bb3-4fcf-a6ac-36f12920dd17_1.15b6d5288cd1ee944ad94ec96f463e2f.jpeg
You're generous with all that shade. :D

My baby sister got pushed around in something like this at the age of 2 back in 1996:

ImperfectPixie

I understand not wanting your other kids to go without. It's gotta be tough. I just see the struggle many have with an infant and I don't understand. Look, if I had one, I'd probably be like "we're GOING! I WANT TO GO" lol, but it's not always the best idea. JMO. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm really not :) Just an opinion that for everyone's happiness ... I'd wait. But that's me :) Again though I get the other kids would have to go without, so not entirely fair I suppose. And also, I know it's absolutely beautiful to see the park through a kids eyes. I get it. But are you doing it for the baby, or for you? Just wondering :)

I've just seen such a misuse of strollers. Look, I get it. I'd love a spot for my stuff if I had kids ... lol. Because of the few who take advantage and abuse the stroller, now others are going to have to measure their stroller .... no one who goes to WDW can have nice things ;) lol

For what it's worth, I don't think they should, nor will the ever, ban strollers.
I took no offense to your post - you've been quite polite. :) Even I don't get the infant thing...our little one could walk, and he still remembers the trip (he asked to look at pictures quite often in the two years between his first two trips, and still does on occasion - he's 8 now). I mean, more power to those who want to bring immobile babies, but for me...bottles, plus carrying, plus non-verbalized crying, plus worrying a ton about the baby over-heating, plus the giant germ-factory that is any public space, plus lines and crowds...none of it adds up to an enjoyable vacation for me.

Kman101

I took no offense to your post - you've been quite polite. :) Even I don't get the infant thing...our little one could walk, and he still remembers the trip (he asked to look at pictures quite often in the two years between his first two trips, and still does on occasion - he's 8 now). I mean, more power to those who want to bring immobile babies, but for me...bottles, plus carrying, plus non-verbalized crying, plus worrying a ton about the baby over-heating, plus the giant germ-factory that is any public space, plus lines and crowds...none of it adds up to an enjoyable vacation for me.

Thank you :) I try to be respectful.

I don't get it but I guess I would if I had one ... LOL. But it does seem like a real chore and not worth it, but I understand not wanting to go without your Disney fix, lol.

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
Again... same or smaller footprint than strollers. The difference is that it's as tall as a stroller, too, but it's as tall all the way around rather than just at the push handle.
I haven't fully flushed out this thought but I wonder if there could be a security and/or loss prevention component to this we haven't considered. Some of those things could conceal a fair amount of merchandise....or worse.

BoarderPhreak

You're generous with all that shade. :D

My baby sister got pushed around in something like this at the age of 2 back in 1996...
Both literally and figuratively... LOL. If it weren't FL and my DD not a redhead, I might've gone your route. 🤣

I haven't fully flushed out this thought but I wonder if there could be a security and/or loss prevention component to this we haven't considered. Some of those things could conceal a fair amount of merchandise....or worse.
You mean like, say... BUZZY? 🤖🤣

ImperfectPixie

I've seen a video of an adult male hiding himself in a stroller so his buddy could sneak him in without paying admission.

aliceismad

..our little one could walk, and he still remembers the trip (he asked to look at pictures quite often in the two years between his first two trips, and still does on occasion - he's 8 now).
My DD was 2 1/2 when we added 2 days at WDW as a bonus to another vacation. She also still remembers and asks to look at pics often. We're prepping for her second trip. She'll be 5 now and she wants to know if she can go on that "fast mountain train" that daddy went on. Seriously though, the look on her face when she hugged Minnie and kissed Pooh on the nose? Those moments were worth all the moneys paid.

I'm sure there are issues with idiots using strollers, and I'm sure strollers do take up space, just as I'm sure there are idiots who step in front of strollers and stop in the middle of the walkway and then whine when someone is unable to stop in time and bumps them. But I just think it's wrong to tell other people how to enjoy themselves and spend their own money, so long as they are working within the rules (which are, in this case, Disney's).

ImperfectPixie

My DD was 2 1/2 when we added 2 days at WDW as a bonus to another vacation. She also still remembers and asks to look at pics often. We're prepping for her second trip. She'll be 5 now and she wants to know if she can go on that "fast mountain train" that daddy went on. Seriously though, the look on her face when she hugged Minnie and kissed Pooh on the nose? Those moments were worth all the moneys paid.

I'm sure there are issues with idiots using strollers, and I'm sure strollers do take up space, just as I'm sure there are idiots who step in front of strollers and stop in the middle of the walkway and then whine when someone is unable to stop in time and bumps them. But I just think it's wrong to tell other people how to enjoy themselves and spend their own money, so long as they are working within the rules (which are, in this case, Disney's).
Ours was 2 1/2 too. :) I think rule enforcement is a big problem at Disney as of late.
You see him in the stroller approaching the tapstile. Then a jump cut where the stroller is passing the tapstile, but, because of the jump cut and the point of view, you can't be sure the man is in the stroller. Then a jump cut where the man is in the stroller in the park.

To be honest, I'm not all that surprised it was faked. I'm constantly telling my 13-year-old that just because it's on YouTube, doesn't make it real, lol.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
With 4 kids, we used a double stroller for years. We had a Sit-and-Stand, but our Maclaren side-by-side was the best, but you had to engage your brain when using it, meaning not running into people, not trying to squeeze through tight spaces, NOT RUNNING INTO PEOPLE, etc.

We also spent $20 on a single stroller at Target one year, don't remember the brand or why we bought it, but it was the best $20 we ever spent. I think that stroller went on 5 or 6 WDW trips, probably 30+ days in the parks over its life and it was still going strong when we needed to retire it for practical purposes.

You know, the easiest solution is to just bring a small wrench and screwdriver with you into the parks. Remove a wheel after someone parks their Escalade Stroller and no more stroller problems for you. ;)

ImperfectPixie

With 4 kids, we used a double stroller for years. We had a Sit-and-Stand, but our Maclaren side-by-side was the best, but you had to engage your brain when using it, meaning not running into people, not trying to squeeze through tight spaces, NOT RUNNING INTO PEOPLE, etc.

We also spent $20 on a single stroller at Target one year, don't remember the brand or why we bought it, but it was the best $20 we ever spent. I think that stroller went on 5 or 6 WDW trips, probably 30+ days in the parks over its life and it was still going strong when we needed to retire it for practical purposes.

You know, the easiest solution is to just bring a small wrench and screwdriver with you into the parks. Remove a wheel after someone parks their Escalade Stroller and no more stroller problems for you. ;)
Those $20 slightly-better-than-an-umbrella-strollers were fabulous. We even found one that was themed like Mickey with ears and all.

Ismael Flores

When I was at WDW around Christmas, I do not remember noticing these. That’s not to say there weren’t any at all, but these are, for now, unique and hard to miss.

I went a week ago, and there were quite a few. I’m wondering if a stroller rental company is pushing the Keenz (pun intended).

I have noticed quite a few strollers and ECV in the parks now that actually go around advertising that they can be rented. not sure if the people riding them around are actually people that rented them or people from the company that rents them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom