New Star Tours Scene

mickEblu

I guess you put more stock into "insiders" than I do. Yes I heard some people say it, but Disney hasn't to my knowledge. That's what I meant.

If Disney got rid of attractions when a new iteration of the same type of ride came out, most rides at Disney would have been gone ages ago.

You can put stock in whoever you want to but a few folks around here have pretty good track records.

Really like what? Snow Whites Scary Adventures making way for the Dwarfs train at MK?

I would say putting a billion dollar land that features a modern “cutting edge simulator” in the same park as an older simulator with the same IP is an outlier when it comes to whatever examples you have in your head, no? Especially when TL is due to receive a complete redo.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can put stock in whoever you want to but a few folks around here have pretty good track records.

Really like what? Snow Whites Scary Adventures making way for the Dwarfs train at MK?

I would say putting a billion dollar land in the same park as an older simulator that features a modern “cutting edge simulator” with the same IP is an outlier when it comes to whatever examples you have in your head, no? Especially when TL is due to receive a complete redo.
Highly skeptical that Tomorrowland in Anaheim is getting major work. Gonna need an insider named “bob” with a shovel on that one.

mickEblu

I’m saying there is no logical reason why they would remove star tours.

Mainly based on the underwhelming performance of the land, the same with recent films, and Disney already spending a bundle.

So if they wouldn’t be inclined to spend more on Star Wars in the parks - very logical as it stands - then you leave star tours and tweak it. Which they are.

It is an outdated simulator. People can like it or not like it...but it’s not a front of the line kinda attraction...never really was.

Well NOW, their is no logical reason when you consider Falcon has more or less received a Meh reaction. And I’m saying this as an AP that maybe rides Star Tours 2-3 times a year. It’s never been one of my favorites.

Lets say Falcon was all that and a bag of chips. You don’t think their would be a logical reason (especially after a TL redo) to get rid of Star Tours so Disney could promote another IP?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well NOW, their is no logical reason when you consider Falcon has more or less received a Meh reaction. And I’m saying this as an AP that maybe rides Star Tours 2-3 times a year. It’s never been one of my favorites.

Lets say Falcon was all that and a bag of chips. You don’t think their would be a logical reason (especially after a TL redo) to get rid of Star Tours so Disney could promote another IP?
Ok...I can’t disagree with this...

I thought the premise was: replace Star Tours to add MORE Star Wars in abramsland?

They was Disney fanboy wishes

mickEblu

Ok...I can’t disagree with this...

I thought the premise was: replace Star Tours to add MORE Star Wars in abramsland?

They was Disney fanboy wishes

I’m not sure I’m following. What are Fan boy wishes? Replace Star Tours in TL to add more Star Wars In GE? As in move Star Tours to GE? Or are you referring to something like the coaster in that case which the two events wouldn’t be related even if it did happen IMO.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not sure I’m following. What are Fan boy wishes? Replace Star Tours in TL to add more Star Wars In GE? As in move Star Tours to GE? Or are you referring to something like the coaster in that case which the two events wouldn’t be related even if it did happen IMO.
The coaster...

Immediate expansion of the AMAZING Star Wars land...

In Florida: it was labeled “phase 3 (me)” and “phase 4 (more)” after the toy story and Star Wars super immersive lands were announced.

Or my favorite: that the Star Wars IP handling by Disney is NOT a problem that’s affecting things across the board including parks.

All that kinda stuff

Last edited:

mickEblu

The coaster...

Immediate expansion of the AMAZING Star Wars land...

In Florida: it was labeled “phase 3 (me)” and “phase 4 (more)” after the toy story and Star Wars super immersive lands were announced.

On my favorite: that the Star Wars IP handling by Disney is NOT a problem that’s affecting things across the board including parks.

All that kinda stuff

oh I see. Yeah I also think it’s highly unlikely at least short term. But I’m just not seeing how adding the Coaster and replacing Star Tours have anything to do with each other. Even for fan boys... I’ve never seen those two ideas in the same post as if they re somehow connected. Moving Star Tours yes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
oh I see. Yeah I also think it’s highly unlikely at least short term. But I’m just not seeing how adding the Coaster and replacing Star Tours have anything to do with each other. Even for fan boys... I’ve never seen those two ideas in the same post as if they re somehow connected. Moving Star Tours yes.
Maybe not in the same post...but the thought process is easy:

Anaheim:
1. More new Star Wars
2. Remove star tours and get brand spanking new awesome something else...also can be more “Disneyland classic friendly” that they always whine about.

Orlando:
1. More new Star Wars
2. remove star tours and BAM!!! Indy land - a property that hasn’t been relevant in pop culture for 30 years and is as crusty/dated as the muppets.

People always bring that concept up any chance they get though.

mickEblu

Maybe not in the same post...but the thought process is easy:

Anaheim:
1. More new Star Wars
2. Remove star tours and get brand spanking new awesome something else...also can be more “Disneyland classic friendly” that they always whine about.

Orlando:
1. More new Star Wars
2. remove star tours and BAM!!! Indy land - a property that hasn’t been relevant in pop culture for 30 years and is as crusty/dated as the muppets.

People always bring that concept up any chance they get though.

Ok now the Orlando example makes sense and is a good example of a fanboy wish and how one could reach that conclusion based off Star Tours location. Anaheim not so much. Now you re just talking about a Star Tours retheme which has nothing to do with what we re talking about or Galxies Edge at all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok now the Orlando example makes sense and is a good example of a fanboy wish and how one could reach that conclusion based off Star Tours location. Anaheim not so much. Now you re just talking about a Star Tours retheme which has nothing to do with what we re talking about or Galxies Edge at all.
Boys will be boys

TP2000

The Falcon was supposed to make Star Tours obsolete. So what do they do with Star Tours now? Do they make the Falcon better or not get rid of Star Tours...even long term?

Agreed, but that is only an issue at Disneyland.

At DHS they have to keep Star Tours around because it's one of only a half dozen rides operating in that park outside of Star Wars Land. They have no choice but to keep Star Tours operating at WDW, even though it's literally 50 yards from Star Wars Land at DHS and makes absolutely no sense thematically. But at DHS it's an E Ticket ride in a Disney theme park with the weakest attraction lineup on earth, even worse than Disney Studios Paris.

This Star Tours addition was a decision made before Star Wars Land opened 120 days ago, scared away a summer's worth of tourists, and immersed us with the most characters of any land ever because every snack bar hostess had a backstory.

It's a decision that was driven more by the weakness and cheapness of the DHS attraction lineup, rather than the richness and depth of the Disneyland attraction lineup.

And WDI could care less, since it creates work for Glendale and a job number to charge things to. There are Tesla payments to make and conference room lunches to be catered, after all. 🧐

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

I would say putting a billion dollar land that features a modern “cutting edge simulator” in the same park as an older simulator with the same IP is an outlier when it comes to whatever examples you have in your head, no? Especially when TL is due to receive a complete redo.

Whoever predicted Star Tours would go away right after GE opened were wrong. It's a whole another conversation about "insiders" who they are, where they get the information, and why they choose to say what they say. Suffice to say I don't put much if any stock into what gets said from non official sources. The thing is, the Star Tours leaving rumor never made a lick of sense. TL redo is years away and has always been years away if it happens in the near or medium term at all. If you've been on or know the Iron Man experience at all, you know that cloning that for DL was/is not going to happen.

If you are going to tie it to being the same IP, same type of ride system, and the same park; then yes this is unique. I was talking about ride systems in general. People are arguing the ride system used in Star Tours is obsolete. I disagree. That is where I was coming from. Disney reuses the same ride system constantly. Each time they refine and make improvements on it. It doesn't make the older system obsolete.

Building a ride simulator that does different things than Star Tours doesn't make Star Tours obsolete as a ride system. It simply does different things. In fact, some prefer the Star Tours ride system as they don't like the interaction part. This allows guests to experience one of both types of attractions within what may be seen as the same genre of ride system so to speak.

As a side note, I feel that like everything else attractions will become more specialized and try to hit niche groups. MF is an attraction that aims to appeal to those who like interaction in their ride experience. Those that don't want this type of experience won't ever like MF. However, a growing number of people do and Disney has to build attractions for those people. Those that want a more passive Star Wars experience can go to Star Tours. A fundamental flaw of Galaxy's Edge is that it went all in on interactivity and those that want a more passive experience were never going to like it. They needed a mix so those who want to sit back and be entertained can do so. Even ROTR is trying to make you part of the story.

Phroobar

Agreed, but that is only an issue at Disneyland.

At DHS they have to keep Star Tours around because it's one of only a half dozen rides operating in that park outside of Star Wars Land. They have no choice but to keep Star Tours operating at WDW, even though it's literally 50 yards from Star Wars Land at DHS and makes absolutely no sense thematically. But at DHS it's an E Ticket ride in a Disney theme park with the weakest attraction lineup on earth, even worse than Disney Studios Paris.
Too bad DHS can't retheme Star Tours to Pigs in Space. It would make sense thematically with Muppetvision next door and act as a nice transition to SWL. We could encounter Darth Nader!

source.gif

Phroobar

Endor has 9 moons. Maybe Star Tours will visit all of them eventually.
ok. So one is a forest moon and another one is the water moon. I guess the water moon took the brunt of the Death Star wreckage. Not sure how that works since the Death Star was orbiting the forest moon not the water moon.

fctiger

Same. I never bought into the thinking that Star Tours would go just because GE opened up. It's still popular and it pushes one of the company's main properties.

Its been made clear a long time ago it was not going anywhere because the ride itself is still really popular and it helps with capacity issues. And in all honesty it doesn't feel any less of an experience just because of SR. SR feels and looks more like a video game where as the scenes in Star Tours feels more realistic. I like them both but ST is probably still my favorite out of the two. Maybe when they add more destinations to SR my mind will change.

TP2000

Too bad DHS can't retheme Star Tours to Pigs in Space. It would make sense thematically with Muppetvision next door and act as a nice transition to SWL. We could encounter Darth Nader!

source.gif

Hysterical! If only WDI had that ability to laugh at itself a bit and not take theme parks so seriously! 🤣

I'm afraid you'd need massive regime change in both Glendale and Burbank to get that however. The current Imagineers seem to take themselves very seriously, there's not much wit or whimsy in that group now.

And the top execs who fund them are clueless about what their customers want from their parks, or even how their employees operate the places, and the likes of Mr. Chapek can only read the latest spreadsheet and recite their approved Talking Points.

mickEblu

Whoever predicted Star Tours would go away right after GE opened were wrong. It's a whole another conversation about "insiders" who they are, where they get the information, and why they choose to say what they say. Suffice to say I don't put much if any stock into what gets said from non official sources. The thing is, the Star Tours leaving rumor never made a lick of sense. TL redo is years away and has always been years away if it happens in the near or medium term at all. If you've been on or know the Iron Man experience at all, you know that cloning that for DL was/is not going to happen.

If you are going to tie it to being the same IP, same type of ride system, and the same park; then yes this is unique. I was talking about ride systems in general. People are arguing the ride system used in Star Tours is obsolete. I disagree. That is where I was coming from. Disney reuses the same ride system constantly. Each time they refine and make improvements on it. It doesn't make the older system obsolete.

Building a ride simulator that does different things than Star Tours doesn't make Star Tours obsolete as a ride system. It simply does different things. In fact, some prefer the Star Tours ride system as they don't like the interaction part. This allows guests to experience one of both types of attractions within what may be seen as the same genre of ride system so to speak.

As a side note, I feel that like everything else attractions will become more specialized and try to hit niche groups. MF is an attraction that aims to appeal to those who like interaction in their ride experience. Those that don't want this type of experience won't ever like MF. However, a growing number of people do and Disney has to build attractions for those people. Those that want a more passive Star Wars experience can go to Star Tours. A fundamental flaw of Galaxy's Edge is that it went all in on interactivity and those that want a more passive experience were never going to like it. They needed a mix so those who want to sit back and be entertained can do so. Even ROTR is trying to make you part of the story.

Nobody with inside info that I know of said that Star Tours was going to close after GE opened. It was more like a “a few years” after GE opened.

Yeah I also don’t view Star Tours as obsolete. For a few reasons, I think it has its own charm and approach that works. Charm that’s lacking from Falcon. It’s also easy to update with new destinations. It’s also more fun IMO unless you get pilot on Falcon then it’s debatable. I can’t speak for anyone but myself but my take on”obsolete” wasn’t simply a ride system to ride system comparison. Although its certainly part of it. It’s everything. The nostalgia of the Falcon being tied to a modern simulator (that I think most of us imagined would be a little more cutting edge. ) The fact that you have a 14 acre Star Wars Land on the other side of the park with a simulator in it. Then when you factor in the potential TL redo it’s easy to see why Star Tours may have (or could still be) on the chopping block. It was never going to happen right after GE opened because they still have a SW presence in TL to promote the movies, could use Star Tours for the expected overflow from GE and it’s a place to showcase original trilogy and prequel stuff that they can’t quite do at GE with its rigid timeline.

Aside from insiders, if any fans are calling for Star Tours head it’s not simply because it’s an “outdated” simulator but I think it’s a combo of the things I mentioned above. And to be honest now that people have been on Falcon I don’t hear many or anybody saying they want to Star Tours to go. Which wasn’t the case 6 months ago when the fantasy of what the Falcon ride was going to be was greater than Star Tours. Of course their are people that are Ok with it going but not necessarily because the Falcon is so great.

If Interactivity is what they were placing above all else with the Falcon then they failed miserably. 2 of the 3 roles are absolutely meaningless in any real interactive way.

Its not that people have an issue with Falcon because it’s interactive. People have an issue because the ride isn’t very fun or what they imagined and the interactivity for 2 out of 3 roles sucks. Same with the land. What meaningful interactivity is there? I think that’s the last thing on a long list of why people may not like GE.

I agree that fine tuning or creating a more advanced version of a similar ride system doesn’t make the older one obsolete. Shanghai POTC doesn’t make Anaheim POTC any less great. I think most people understand that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom