New Skillets at Whispering Canyon

CaptainAmerica

Yup, it looks like I'll be headed to Roarin Forks instead of Whispering Canyons from now on. I enjoyed a sit-down meal in the middle of the day, but my appetite isn't very big, so these AYCE skillets aren't appealing to me. They used to have an open faced tuna melt that I enjoyed, so now I'll have to go to Roarin Forks to get something smaller.
Honestly, do people even read before they complain about things on the Internet? (Silly question, I know.)

The lunch menu still has a chicken sandwich, a turkey sandwich, a pulled pork sandwich, a burger, chopped salad, and a salmon salad. Bummer that you lost the tuna melt, but there are still many options besides the skillets at lunch time.

Phonedave

Holy meat. Don't get me wrong, I am far from a vegetarian. but this just borders on being ridiculous.

I guess some people eat that way, and maybe I have become more of a quality vs. quantity person as I have aged, but these new skillets reall don't interest me all that much.

Hockey89

Holy meat. Don't get me wrong, I am far from a vegetarian. but this just borders on being ridiculous.

I guess some people eat that way, and maybe I have become more of a quality vs. quantity person as I have aged, but these new skillets reall don't interest me all that much.
I would have liked all the meat while I was young through college but I agree completely now.... Give me 6 oz A5 over 18 oz corn fed beef....

JohnD

Original Poster

Sigh.. There’s a veggie skillet too. I echo @CaptainAmerica . Do people bother reading anymore?

Here’s a thought. Don’t go and stop browbeating others into submission over your preferences.

Hockey89

Sigh.. There’s a veggie skillet too. I echo @CaptainAmerica . Do people bother reading anymore?

Here’s a thought. Don’t go and stop browbeating others into submission over your preferences.
Here is an idea... He was just talking about the size of the meat portion and nothing else.... He didn't say there were no veggie options... Reading comp is hard as well...

docdebbi

I'm sorry, but this is a bit dramatic. My daughter is four years old and she'd eat every single thing on the menu. You're projecting your picky eater as if he's a proxy for all kids.

The Traditional skillet literally has beef AND pork AND chicken AND sausage, plus there are fish and vegetarian options as well. I'm not sure what else you'd expect.

Not on the all-you-can-eat options. She's probably be fine ordering the kids a la carte items, but if she's going to get a skillet it would have to be the adult one.

Dear Captain America,

I don't believe that my last comment, that i "just wished they hadn't dumped so many of the a la carte items" is excessively dramatic. Simply stating an opinion on a new menu. Hardly threatened suicide over this.

And my grandkids all ate everything at four years old too, but then they become little boys who are not interested in the CHIPOTLE pork, or the MUSTARD BARBECUE beef. I don't think my kids are the exception to the rule here, most kids that age want burgers, and pizza and chicken tenders (not citrus herb chicken).
At home, they are forced to eat a balanced diet, on vacation at disney- not so much, and certainly not chipotle anything.

And "what else would I expect"? to quote you?
I was hoping for some of the a la carte items that were on the menu until yesterday.

So, sorry if my expressing an opinion on the new menu (you know, the topic of this thread) offended you

CaptainAmerica

Here is an idea... He was just talking about the size of the meat portion and nothing else.... He didn't say there were no veggie options... Reading comp is hard as well...
But the complaint doesn't really apply. The "Canyon Skillet" has been the signature dish of Whispering Canyon Cafe for years (decades?)

"All you can eat meat" is not the piece of new information that comes from this announcement. The only thing changing is the amount of variety.

DisneyGigi

Sorry couldn’t help it! 😂😂😂

correcaminos

not good for me!

alas..........most of the individual entrees are gone, so i'm stuck getting a $33 meal for a 10 year old kid who won't eat anything in it. no adult burger available anymore. and i don't know if they'll let him order from kids menu.

i wasn't even going to get the all you can eat as it seems wasteful for just one person (just did this yesaterday) . i couldn't eat even just a few bites of each thing, waste the rest. really debating what to do about this.
Unless you are stuck with the dining plan, they still easily allow my 11yo to eat off of the kids menu. Just not the price of the kids skillet. Ask and you might find they are good with that. Or I share an adult meal with him as the portions are massive there.

And my grandkids all ate everything at four years old too, but then they become little boys who are not interested in the CHIPOTLE pork, or the MUSTARD BARBECUE beef. I don't think my kids are the exception to the rule here, most kids that age want burgers, and pizza and chicken tenders (not citrus herb chicken).
At home, they are forced to eat a balanced diet, on vacation at disney- not so much, and certainly not chipotle anything.

Wow, those are some SERIOUSLY picky grandkids. I feel bad for them. My kids would eat every single thing on that skillet at any age, including now when they are 14 and 16. I REALLY hope WDW doesn't dumb down the food because your kids only eat burgers and chicken.

Prince-1

Based on the plethora of round people that visit WDW I would say that many still put quantity over quality.

Phonedave

OK, snark is not normally my preferred mode of response, but, when in Rome ....

Did YOU happen to READ my response? I never said there were no vegetables, or vegetarian options. I said, there was an inordinate amount of meat - which there is.

Nor am I browbeating anybody. Given the amount of different meat, the price for the all you can shove in your pie hole dining, and the fact that Disney is in the business of turning a profit, I suspect that the quality of the meat involved is sub-par. I would rather have smaller amounts of better food instead of a larger amount of lower grade food. I will continue to voice this opinion, as that is what this forum is about - the free exchange of ideas and thoughts.

Before I get another "Do you even read" response - yes, I know there are a la carte items. However, I seriously doubt they are using a higher quality of meat for those items. It's the same quality stuff that is on the skillet.

-dave

DisneyGigi

The skillets were already huge. I am hoping that they will actually initially be smaller this way- say if I order the traditional and Hubby orders the Pork one- that way we can share the brisket and piggy wings. Surely-they will bring smaller ones for one person, rather than for like the whole table before. I don’t eat that much but like the variety. You can always get more but seems a waste to bring so much at first. If their Piggy Wings are even half as good as the voodoo sticky wings at Club Villain were- I will probably eat mostly those.
Also have to say my kids never wanted pizza, burgers or nuggets at WDW, except maybe when they were 3. They were ‘Ohana, Cape May Cafe, Le Cellier and Boma nuts! They always ate what we ate though, I guess is why.

Dr. Ludwig von Drake

Until they start the stick pony races again, we will not eat there.

The link in the original post seemed to imply that there is still a lot of antics going on:

"The fun-filled restaurant is known for its sassy cast members, Old Western games ... our rowdy canyon townsfolk are here to serve you, and their boisterous goings-on aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Do the hokey pokey, ring the dinner bell, and even ask for ketchup (at your own risk, of course)."

How much of this is still going on? I probably haven't been to Whispering Canyon since 2017 (last couple of times we were at WL we ate at Geyser Point).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom