News New Signature Restaurant for Japan Pavilion - Takumi-Tei

Robbiem

I was thinking about a couple of things:
1. Is there some other kind of table service restaurant that would be appropriate to the American Pavilion? In particular, it would be nice to target international visitors. I think Cajun is a possibility. Southern? Souther fried chicken? Chicken fried steak? Anything turkey would be considered very American. Could they possibly make good American pizza? Pot roast? Avocado toast? Vegan donuts? Sloppy Joes?
2. Or maybe we could get a restaurant that is an homage to Americanized food? They could serve Italian-American, American Chinese (think Panda Express), Tex-Mex, California Roll, etc.
3. I'd be up for decent mass-market BBQ. I mean, we're not going to get competition-grade BBQ at the parks. But if I can get decent mass-market BBQ at the airport, I should be able to get it at the parks, right? An obviously BBQ snobs aren't going to be happy but foodies aren't the target audience for almost any of the restaurants at WDW. There must be some way of delivering vacu-sealed pouches of pulled pork and slabs of brisket to the restaurant from some central kitchen.
4. What about having a mini-food court? Isn't that American? Oh wait! Food trucks!

But perhaps the American Pavilion suffers from not having a country sponsor, so maybe they could get a restaurant chain to sponsor it in exchange for being able to open a restaurant there? McDonald's anyone? Lol

I know this is about Japan but i agress a sit down addition to the American adventure would be nice. As a foreigner BBQ is the obvious choice but something like a New England themed fish restaurant would be a nice fit

ProfSavage

If they did that like the original in Tokyo, it would be at the same time the most popular and most reviled thing in Epcot. You think people don't like the 'antics' at Whispering Canyon, can you imagine how those same people would react if they didn't know what they were getting themselves into and booked a dinner there?
tenor.gif
You're right.... this is why we can't have nice things.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If they did that like the original in Tokyo, it would be at the same time the most popular and most reviled thing in Epcot. You think people don't like the 'antics' at Whispering Canyon, can you imagine how those same people would react if they didn't know what they were getting themselves into and booked a dinner there?
But if they named it "Mister Roboto's" nobody would have an excuse to claim ignorance...

ChrisFL

Premium Member

At least if it was built in Epcot, there would be a lot more space to spread out. I love the Robot Restaurant but it's very cramped in there!

Bocabear

How many restaurants does the Japan Pavilion need? They have Teppan Edo, a Sushi Restaurant, a traditional Dining Restaurant and the Yakitori restaurant out in the gardens.... That said, a version of the Tokyo Robot Restaurant would be freaking amazing...and it would be a real attraction since they don't seem to be able to actually put an attraction in that pavilion....
For the American Pavilion they could even do an amazing restaurant based on the regional cuisines of the United States...Choos 5 regions and 5 celebrity Chefs, create immersively themed diningrooms to match each cuisine and voila, another sure fire hit.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How many restaurants does the Japan Pavilion need? They have Teppan Edo, a Sushi Restaurant, a traditional Dining Restaurant and the Yakitori restaurant out in the gardens.... That said, a version of the Tokyo Robot Restaurant would be freaking amazing...and it would be a real attraction since they don't seem to be able to actually put an attraction in that pavilion....
For the American Pavilion they could even do an amazing restaurant based on the regional cuisines of the United States...Choos 5 regions and 5 celebrity Chefs, create immersively themed diningrooms to match each cuisine and voila, another sure fire hit.
I am going to go with more than 4.;)

Princess Leia

I was thinking about a couple of things:
1. Is there some other kind of table service restaurant that would be appropriate to the American Pavilion? In particular, it would be nice to target international visitors. I think Cajun is a possibility. Southern? Fried chicken? Chicken fried steak? Anything turkey would be considered very American. Could they possibly make good American pizza? Pot roast? Avocado toast? Vegan donuts? Sloppy Joes?
2. Or maybe we could get a restaurant that is an homage to Americanized food? They could serve Italian-American, American Chinese (think Panda Express), Tex-Mex, California Roll, etc.
3. I'd be up for decent mass-market BBQ. I mean, we're not going to get competition-grade BBQ at the parks. But if I can get decent mass-market BBQ at the airport, I should be able to get it at the parks, right? An obviously BBQ snobs aren't going to be happy but foodies aren't the target audience for almost any of the restaurants at WDW. There must be some way of delivering vacu-sealed pouches of pulled pork and slabs of brisket to the restaurant from some central kitchen.
4. What about having a mini-food court? Isn't that American? Oh wait! Food trucks!

But perhaps the American Pavilion suffers from not having a country sponsor, so maybe they could get a restaurant chain to sponsor it in exchange for being able to open a restaurant there? McDonald's anyone? Lol
Idea- making some of the food stands look like food trucks.

A "Taste of America" sit down restaurant would be my top choice though. Feature a few foods from each region, and you're set.
  • NE- lobster rolls, blueberry crisp
  • SE- soul food
  • BBQ- to avoid any showdowns between the regions, showcase different varieties (Memphis, Texas, S. Carolina, and N. Carolina)
  • NW- salmon
  • Midwest- Corn, tomatoes, meatloaf
  • SW- something on the Tex-Mex or healthy side
  • Pizza- you've got to include both NY and Chicago style

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

A "Taste of America" sit down restaurant would be my top choice though. Feature a few foods from each region, and you're set.
  • SE- soul food
  • BBQ- to avoid any showdowns between the regions, showcase different varieties (Memphis, Texas, S. Carolina, and N. Carolina)
  • NW- salmon
You could do all that with a food court like Sunshine Seasons...

jakeman

• SE- soul food
  • NW- salmon
Good lord. A food court that looks like food trucks in the American Pavilion.

Are you trying to melt the forums down? :p

Honestly, I wouldn't trust Disney to produce dishes that would be passable as regional favorites. Even then it's a minefield. Just look at BBQ in NC, we've got two different styles in one state.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Good lord. A food court that looks like food trucks in the American Pavilion.

Are you trying to melt the forums down? :p

Honestly, I wouldn't trust Disney to produce dishes that would be passable as regional favorites. Even then it's a minefield. Just look at BBQ in NC, we've got two different styles in one state.

Come to Florida. You can often find all the styles under one roof save for Korean. They don't take kindly to that foreign BBQ around here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom