News New Signature Restaurant for Japan Pavilion - Takumi-Tei

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
But when “why don’t they build the mt. Fuji Ride WE WERE PROMISED!?!” Comes in...then it gets real. Check the tape.

I think you meant, "I was promised", since I don't remember anyone else being around that night little Mikey Eisner didn't want me tell anyone about his transvestite proclivities or the fact a six pack of Miller Lite knocked him on his buttocks. That's right Mikey. The statute of limitations is up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Okay...you're trying to make the case that adding a restaurant to the Japan Pavilion in Epcot is because revenue is down at ESPN.

That sounds a bit obsessive to me.

But you do you, or whatever version of you this is. I personally liked your previous incarnation better.

Actually I wasn’t making the case at all...I was saying that WDW will avoid expenditures on attractions when humanly possible...and that restaurant additions - while frustrating - make more sense for small scale “enhancements”. And i bet they’re not paying. Why would they not do
That?

I’m not making a direct correlation to a new hibachi house.

But from a macro standpoint...they do need to make more money off the parks. There’s no way to spin that...and a lot of the cause is tv...which is espn for the last 20 years.

Restaurant additions and add ons to increase revenue streams make sense. Mt. Fuji doesn’t.

It just is what it is.

peter11435

Actually I wasn’t making the case at all...I was saying that WDW will avoid expenditures on attractions when humanly possible...and that restaurant additions - while frustrating - make more sense for small scale “enhancements”. And i bet they’re not paying. Why would they not do
That?

I’m not making a direct correlation to a new hibachi house.

But from a macro standpoint...they do need to make more money off the parks. There’s no way to spin that...and a lot of the cause is tv...which is espn for the last 20 years.

Restaurant additions and add ons to increase revenue streams make sense. Mt. Fuji doesn’t.

It just is what it is.

You know there are 8 (soon to be more) attractions currently under construction right?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You know there are 8 (soon to be more) attractions currently under construction right?

Let me see...2...2....2....1....

I count 7...but ballpark figure is correct.

Mostly mgm/Epcot...and one good frontline MK ride...all good strategic moves.

But I don’t think those are for “us”...it’s for the “others” when they show...this new era of bigger numbers and bigger prices. Can’t wait.

What’s the 8th???

Soon to be more? Is this you, bob iger? (I can only hope you’re right...)

peter11435

Let me see...2...2....2....1....

I count 7...but ballpark figure is correct.

Mostly mgm/Epcot...and one good frontline MK ride...all good strategic moves.

But I don’t think those are for “us”...it’s for the “others” when they show...this new era of bigger numbers and bigger prices. Can’t wait.

What’s the 8th???

Soon to be more? Is this you, bob iger? (I can only hope you’re right...)

8. I don’t know what 7 you are counting so I can’t say which is the 8th that you are missing. But there are 8 currently.

Yes. Soon to be more. But you don’t believe anything you don’t see.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
8. I don’t know what 7 you are counting so I can’t say which is the 8th that you are missing. But there are 8 currently.

Yes. Soon to be more. But you don’t believe anything you don’t see.

If it doesn’t exist and nobody’s there to see it...does it make a sound when it falls in the forest?

Anyway...I count 4 in studios...guardians of energy and the rat in Epcot and tron...

I think that’s all the dirt that’s moving currently?

jakeman

I want nothing to do with the Disney version of BBQ. Because I’ve had the slop they claim to be such food, and it is nothing of the sort.

True BBQ takes HOURS to cook, and needs to be cooked slow, and low, and can be labor intensive. It isn’t fast or easy, both qualities that WDW looks at when slinging grub. Remember folks, there is a BBQ, and then there’s a cook-out. To mix the two up is a mortal sin in my part of the country.
Not to divert from the general ESPN ranting but I find this tangent interesting and I’ll hope you’ll indulge me.

What are your thoughts on Flame Tree?

Being from NC, we have a rather narrow view of what BBQ is; so I’m always curious as to what non-vinegar base fan see as quality.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not to divert from the general ESPN ranting but I find this tangent interesting and I’ll hope you’ll indulge me.

What are your thoughts on Flame Tree?

Being from NC, we have a rather narrow view of what BBQ is; so I’m always curious as to what non-vinegar base fan see as quality.

Well...since espn is on a commercial break...

(Kidding...haven’t turned it on in years...LIKE EVERYONE ELSE 😜 )

...low country barbecue is the type I sadly can’t get a taste for...guess I haven’t had it in the right spots. Memphis or KC Style rarely disappoints.

And for wacky New Yorkers...Korean bbq...don’t laugh...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This project is a solid 99% Mitsukoshi, with only a “sure go for it, why not. We will get our DPB team on a blurb about it opening” from Disney.
Unlike Space which is closer to 50/50 with patina (ok, maybe more 65/35 ish).

makes sense.

I hadn’t realized that the space thing was with patina...better than landry’s - I suppose.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are forgetting Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. (Star Wars x2, Toy Story x2). But yes 7 larger scale if you discount the whip ride.

Ahhh...that’s the one.

Yes...more stuff in the “problem”
parks...next addition should be back at DAK...no later than 2028 😜

The “small ride” is the alien thing. I love them and it should be cute...but it’s maters so really like a D ticket. I think the Star Wars rides are gonna underwhelm too...just a hunch.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No wonder why the Japanese pavilion is constantly refurbished

Well you can go further than that...

The model of sponsorship went south and has kinda frozen showcase where it was in 1988. It’s not a coincidence.

To be fair...the modest showcase additions in food these last few years have at least been encouraging...the rat ride is at least a plausible thematic addition.

But If the host corporations don’t want to pay...nothing gets done. Hence no new pavilions for EXACTLY 30 years this month I believe.

Lensman

Not expecting to get Franklin's, Hard Eights or even Pecan Lodge. But there are plenty of decent BBQ places in Florida (Polite Pig being one). I'm sure Disney would be able to figure it out and provide a respectable BBQ joint....if they wanted to.
I was thinking about a couple of things:
1. Is there some other kind of table service restaurant that would be appropriate to the American Pavilion? In particular, it would be nice to target international visitors. I think Cajun is a possibility. Southern? Fried chicken? Chicken fried steak? Anything turkey would be considered very American. Could they possibly make good American pizza? Pot roast? Avocado toast? Vegan donuts? Sloppy Joes?
2. Or maybe we could get a restaurant that is an homage to Americanized food? They could serve Italian-American, American Chinese (think Panda Express), Tex-Mex, California Roll, etc.
3. I'd be up for decent mass-market BBQ. I mean, we're not going to get competition-grade BBQ at the parks. But if I can get decent mass-market BBQ at the airport, I should be able to get it at the parks, right? An obviously BBQ snobs aren't going to be happy but foodies aren't the target audience for almost any of the restaurants at WDW. There must be some way of delivering vacu-sealed pouches of pulled pork and slabs of brisket to the restaurant from some central kitchen.
4. What about having a mini-food court? Isn't that American? Oh wait! Food trucks!

But perhaps the American Pavilion suffers from not having a country sponsor, so maybe they could get a restaurant chain to sponsor it in exchange for being able to open a restaurant there? McDonald's anyone? Lol

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Well you can go further than that...

The model of sponsorship went south and has kinda frozen showcase where it was in 1988. It’s not a coincidence.

To be fair...the modest showcase additions in food these last few years have at least been encouraging...the rat ride is at least a plausible thematic addition.

But If the host corporations don’t want to pay...nothing gets done. Hence no new pavilions for EXACTLY 30 years this month I believe.

Happy 30th Norway.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Happy 30th Norway.
1768236_1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom