New Seven Seas Lagoon Resort

nickys

Premium Member
Persian still denotes an ethnic group, their culture and their language. The country formerly called Persia requested the change to Iran in the 1930s, with Iran being the name of the country in Persian.

Not sure that it can't be themed on a past aesthetic.

I guess it is possible. After all the Persians as a race are spread across several countries, although they now have different names. It just seems it would be odd to specifically use the Persia name for a resort.

jt04

I guess it is possible. After all the Persians as a race are spread across several countries, although they now have different names. It just seems it would be odd to specifically use the Persia name for a resort.

It could be based on an idealized aesthetic rather than a specific race. Sort of like the Poly. Or really any of the WS pavilions.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Like the Grand Floridian harkens back to an earlier time, I'm sure "The Persian" would do the same to reflect historic Persian-inspired architecture and art.

DCLcruiser

It could be based on an idealized aesthetic rather than a specific race. Sort of like the Poly. Or really any of the WS pavilions.
Yes, it would be idealized for 11th-18th century middle-eastern style. There aren't many modern buildings in Iran that look like the primary design. If you go to historical buildings you can find cities like Isfahan. See here: https://www.mywanderlust.pl/isfahan-iran/

isfahan-iran-52.jpg

isfahan-iran-31.jpg

This city, dating back to 1050 AD, and the pictured Royal Mosque from 1611, is a great look at Persian-Islamic architecture. A lot the beautiful interior details are similar to Arab-Norman Sicily.

So, the hotel doesn't need to be Persia, which is really like calling modern Italy the Roman Empire. It would just reflect classical Arab-Persian-Moorish styling, and thus cover the Mediterranean (Spain, Sicily, North Africa), Levant and Near East in general.

All these lovely new Disney waterfront properties... That you can't even dip a toe into, lest it be bitten off or your brain rot! 🐊🧠🤣
What? There are gators in Florida? You mean I shouldn't let my kid play in the water at dusk? ...too soon?

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I've very much enjoyed the discussion in this thread, as it's exactly what I've been thinking about this ridiculous notion that Disney is targeting high-end consumers. That demographic may show up once or twice in their life to culturally slum it with the rest of us, but on the whole Disney World is the last place on earth they want to be.

What is surprising to me, though, is how many people Disney is still finding who will pay the outrageous amounts they are charging for a vacation at WDW. I can afford Disney vacations and obviously love Disney theme parks, but I have to say that when it comes to planning vacations (right now I'm on one in Colombia) I'm not thinking about WDW these days as I feel stupid paying what Disney charges to have something approximating I consider a comfortable, relaxing vacation. At Disney, the cost for that is basically the cost of multiple vacations elsewhere.

Yet, people keep filling the hotel rooms and the parks...
Some of us still find value in the experience.
It’s where I want to be, and I’ll cut corners in my everyday life if need be, to make it happen.

cyanaye

Ironically, from a sightline perspective, building two more resorts along SSL will recreate visually what Walt went to Florida to get away from -- the commercial blight of endless hotels and souvenir shops surrounding Disneyland.
Sadly, that is what the area outside of disney basicalLy is. Endless hotels and gift shops

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can afford to visit most places in the world (and I've visited most of the destinations that interest me), but I go to Disney World every few years simply because I enjoy it. It has nothing to do with status.
So can I...and we are similar on a lot of levels.

But the “new money” dynamic and lack of “luxury” status at wdw is neither a new concept, nor something they haven’t dealt with since at least the 80’s.

Why do you think they built the “grand Floridian”, Y,B, and B in the first place?

It’s not imagined.
Yet there are people here who are just like you, but would rather spend $600/night for a deluxe room and scoff at having to “spend more” to travel outside the country.
Indeed.

That is honestly the definition of “white trash with money”

Those that will only venture outside the country if it includes all you can eat/drink or if it’s perceived as their “ancestral lands”

Specifically...the hundreds of morons I’ve heard reject France Because they speak French. Same with Deutschland.

Beautiful people and culture...beautiful lands.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've very much enjoyed the discussion in this thread, as it's exactly what I've been thinking about this ridiculous notion that Disney is targeting high-end consumers. That demographic may show up once or twice in their life to culturally slum it with the rest of us, but on the whole Disney World is the last place on earth they want to be.

What is surprising to me, though, is how many people Disney is still finding who will pay the outrageous amounts they are charging for a vacation at WDW. I can afford Disney vacations and obviously love Disney theme parks, but I have to say that when it comes to planning vacations (right now I'm on one in Colombia) I'm not thinking about WDW these days as I feel stupid paying what Disney charges to have something approximating I consider a comfortable, relaxing vacation. At Disney, the cost for that is basically the cost of multiple vacations elsewhere.

Yet, people keep filling the hotel rooms and the parks...
x2
It’s where I want to be, and I’ll cut corners in my everyday life if need be, to make it happen.
That is absolutely you’re right and there is no need to apologize for it.

The danger is though as long as you DO that, the current management philosophy will be reinforced and they will push prices until they find your breaking point.

That is your calculated risk.

Sir_Cliff

That is totally fair enough, and I hope my post didn't come across as disparaging people for whom a WDW vacation is a priority. I'm sure I'll start to miss it sufficiently that I will pay the required amount to go back there soon enough! I am lucky that Disneyland Paris is relatively close, so if I need a fix I can go there quickly and relatively cheaply.

Overall, though, I keep wondering when Disney is going to reach the point when there just aren't enough people with enough money who want to spend it there. It looks like they reached a ceiling of sorts at Disneyland this summer with spiralling prices and AP blockouts. That will hopefully give them some food for thought. On the whole, though, it really doesn't surprise me that prices keep rising and paid add-ons keep being added-on while hours and included benefits are scaled back. If crowds keep merrily rising alongside it all, why would Disney stop?

Last edited:

jaxonp

I can afford to visit most places in the world (and I've visited most of the destinations that interest me), but I go to Disney World every few years simply because I enjoy it. It has nothing to do with status.

Exactly. I like how people assume X class will do or not do something because they can or can’t afford to do something. I know plenty of extremely wealthy people who travel the world in business class and take public transportation while being a 1 percenter. Just because one is wealthy doesn’t mean they’re above going to Spain while also going to a Spanish themed resort at Disney the next week. Silly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly. I like how people assume X class will do or not do something because they can or can’t afford to do something. I know plenty of extremely wealthy people who travel the world in business class and take public transportation while being a 1 percenter. Just because one is wealthy doesn’t mean they’re above going to Spain while also going to a Spanish themed resort at Disney the next week. Silly.

What’s actually silly is just how many Disney “only” people there are. It’s shockingly higher than you think:

They certainly can afford to do other things - which is healthy - but adamantly have convinced themselves that only wdw will suffice without trying anything else. DCL is full of that too.

“It’s just the best!”
“Have you tried anywhere else?”
“Why Would I?”
🤯

An mlb pitcher can throw a 99 mph fastball...but if that’s all he throws he’ll be back on the bus to AAA in 3 days flat.

Last edited:

jaxonp

What’s actually silly is just how many Disney “only” people there are. It’s shockingly higher than you think:

They certainly can afford to do other things - which is healthy - but adamantly have convinced themselves that only wdw will suffice without trying anything else. DCL is full of that too.

“It’s just the best!”
“Have you tried anyone else?”
“Why Would I?”
🤯

An mlb pitcher can throw a 99 mph fastball...but if that’s all he throws he’ll be back on the bus to AAA in 3 days flat.

What does that have to do with wealthy people choosing x vacation over y vacation simply because they can?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What does that have to do with wealthy people choosing x vacation over y vacation simply because they can?
Absolutely nothing...

But When i saw that “1% ers ride buses” as a justification for building a mock up hotel in the swamp...I figured the “tangent flood gates” were thrown open?😎

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom