New Seating in the Tiki Room

cslafferty

They're actually concerned with disturbing a known sink hole under the Tiki Room. Drilling the new benches into the floor will vibrate the earth too much, risking the entire building going down.
Are you serious?? After watching what happened on the news when that entire house was swallowed up in a giant sink hole and a man died, I'm not sure I want to go into the Tiki Room!

luv

Not serious...it was a now famous Florida sink hole joke. Tiki ain't about to sinki!
The sink hole jokes are less funny to me after that. Not saying you shouldn't make them.

But when I think sink holes, I think of that guy trying to dig for his brother and being pulled away.

And I worry that I'll be next to be swallowed.

The sink holes are so much less funny now. That was so horrific and sad.

cslafferty

LOL! Whew! I thought maybe that was their new e-ticket ride: The Enchanted Sink Hole Room! Maybe you'd come out the way you came in, and maybe you'd come out inside the Utilidors!!

Goofyernmost

The sink hole jokes are less funny to me after that. Not saying you shouldn't make them.

But when I think sink holes, I think of that guy trying to dig for his brother and being pulled away.

And I worry that I'll be next to be swallowed.

The sink holes are so much less funny now. That was so horrific and sad.
To be absolutely honest...sink holes were never funny, but, as with any disaster, humor is what helps people get through it. Remember when the challenger exploded? Maybe you don't, my kids were still in school and now they are almost 40 years old. Anyway, they came home with a million astronaut jokes. It seems out of place on so many levels but it also seems to be the way of human nature. Laughing at or about things that are out of our control help us cope with it. It doesn't mean we don't take it seriously, it just means that we are trying to make it less of a threat to ourselves.

Tom

Beta Return
To be absolutely honest...sink holes were never funny, but, as with any disaster, humor is what helps people get through it. Remember when the challenger exploded? Maybe you don't, my kids were still in school and now they are almost 40 years old. Anyway, they came home with a million astronaut jokes. It seems out of place on so many levels but it also seems to be the way of human nature. Laughing at or about things that are out of our control help us cope with it. It doesn't mean we don't take it seriously, it just means that we are trying to make it less of a threat to ourselves.

You mean like, "NASA: Need Another Seven Astronauts"?

Yeah, I'm pretty insensitive, I'll admit it. But the sink hole jokes surrounding WDW will always amuse me, as long as people continue to blame so many things on them, when they can't think of anything else.

dcibrando

That's entertainment? :p The restored Tiki Room is great the way it is.

actually this would be WAAAAAAY more popular with Muppet characters than the old school Tiki Room snoozer show. I know some of those won't agree due to nostalgia reasons... but the Tiki Room "birds" just don't do it. I look around the room and people are just looking around like "what the #&^$?" no excitement... the masks on the walls and the water is entertaining but the birds and the songs (for the most part) just don't excite people.

Goofyernmost

actually this would be WAAAAAAY more popular with Muppet characters than the old school Tiki Room snoozer show. I know some of those won't agree due to nostalgia reasons... but the Tiki Room "birds" just don't do it. I look around the room and people are just looking around like "what the #&^$?" no excitement... the masks on the walls and the water is entertaining but the birds and the songs (for the most part) just don't excite people.
It's sad that today's audience can no longer just be entertained, but, must be excited.:( Must have a pretty boring life to require that much external stimulation!o_O

dcibrando

It's sad that today's audience can no longer just be entertained, but, must be excited.:( Must have a pretty boring life to require that much external stimulation!o_O

things change, generations change, and disney should keep changing as well... I know many of us (me included) would like to keep a lot of things as they are forever, but let's face it... it's not going to happen and it shouldn't. They need to stay in the news and providing new experiences and attractions as often as possible

the Tiki Room is "neat" but....that along with the Country Bears may be my least favorite attraction in the MK. Both in need of a re-imagine/re-design

Goofyernmost

things change, generations change, and disney should keep changing as well... I know many of us (me included) would like to keep a lot of things as they are forever, but let's face it... it's not going to happen and it shouldn't. They need to stay in the news and providing new experiences and attractions as often as possible

the Tiki Room is "neat" but....that along with the Country Bears may be my least favorite attraction in the MK. Both in need of a re-imagine/re-design
To some degree, I agree. But Tiki and CB have long surpassed the monicker of lead attraction. It is an Historic attraction now and is what made the Disney experience what it is. It's presence maintains that feeling. Useful old attractions should be limited, but should always be there. Changing them or doing anything other then mechanically upgrading is totally not necessary. ADD to the parks, don't replace. There will always be an audience for things like Tiki or CB regardless of how many super hip people think it is lame. Don't want to see it...don't go, but, don't feel it necessary to deprive everyone. WDW makes a big deal out of having 27,000 acres. Use them! Even if it means that some big wheel may have to park a little further away from their office.

Epcot is a prime example of that. Mission Space could have been built without killing off Horizons. Test Track could have been built without destroying World of Motion. The old and the new can be made to compliment each other.

luv

I know things change. But they don't always change for the better. Sometimes they do. :)

The Tiki Room really is one of my favorite things to do in all of WDW and I'd be heartbroken if it had to go, especially when I just got it back!!

I kind of hated that building the entire time they had the Gilbert Godfried version.

puntagordabob

I know things change. But they don't always change for the better. Sometimes they do. :)

The Tiki Room really is one of my favorite things to do in all of WDW and I'd be heartbroken if it had to go, especially when I just got it back!!

I kind of hated that building the entire time they had the Gilbert Godfried version.

100% agree with this post!

Studies have shown that the Tiki Room is boring. The previous UNM show at least kept people awake. With the new show, people either walk out mid-show or they fall asleep. The new benches will be similar to the benches in ITTBAB. The new benches will poke you every so often in an attempt to keep the guests awake.

I love the Tiki Room..... much better now with the "close to the" Original show there! I have noticed VERY LITTLE of the people leaving mid-show now...so the truth is that things are better now.

No they do NOT.... Walt Disney wanted the park (parks now lol) to be a place that had something for EVERYONE.... if the Tiki Room and the CBJ is NOT your thing then I am sure there is something else you love...and perhaps the ride/attraction you love is something I do NOT....

If I hated your favorite ride for example, and it really doesnt matter what it is.....should I push for them to remove it since I think it isnt worth the space??? Of course I SHOULD NOT, because I understand that the Disney experience is for EVERYONE and not just my enjoyment alone.....

For the record (and most of you know this!) Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room is my all-time favorite.... I do not ever make a trip to the MK without seeing the show except under rare circumstances...I am a Local too so I go ALOT....

So while a couple people may personally find Jose and his flock "Unexciting", I find them "Enchanting" and have so since I first watched the show in in December of 1971 as a 5 year old..... so this love of the show is TIMELESS for me.... In fact as a little boy I thought those birds were alive and considered them my friends.... and as an adult I understand the Technology and all that... BUT the little Boy in me still considers them my Pals... Perhaps THAT is the ultimate tribute to Walt Disney, the man.... It is a shame that sometimes today it seems that both many in the Walt Disney Company itself and many of those who go their parks have lost that "Magic".

dcibrando

100% agree with this post!

I love the Tiki Room..... much better now with the "close to the" Original show there! I have noticed VERY LITTLE of the people leaving mid-show now...so the truth is that things are better now.

No they do NOT.... Walt Disney wanted the park (parks now lol) to be a place that had something for EVERYONE.... if the Tiki Room and the CBJ is NOT your thing then I am sure there is something else you love...and perhaps the ride/attraction you love is something I do NOT....

If I hated your favorite ride for example, and it really doesnt matter what it is.....should I push for them to remove it since I think it isnt worth the space??? Of course I SHOULD NOT, because I understand that the Disney experience is for EVERYONE and not just my enjoyment alone.....

For the record (and most of you know this!) Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room is my all-time favorite.... I do not ever make a trip to the MK without seeing the show except under rare circumstances...I am a Local too so I go ALOT....

So while a couple people may personally find Jose and his flock "Unexciting", I find them "Enchanting" and have so since I first watched the show in in December of 1971 as a 5 year old..... so this love of the show is TIMELESS for me.... In fact as a little boy I thought those birds were alive and considered them my friends.... and as an adult I understand the Technology and all that... BUT the little Boy in me still considers them my Pals... Perhaps THAT is the ultimate tribute to Walt Disney, the man.... It is a shame that sometimes today it seems that both many in the Walt Disney Company itself and many of those who go their parks have lost that "Magic".

I'm not pushing for anything... I'm just saying that in today's world...especially theme parks in orlando, you can't remain stale. There are lots of attractons I've loved they have altered or removed... but I don't fault them for it.

Whether we like it or not, they are in the theme park BUSINESS and it would be impossible to make everyone happy... much less a handful of people on these boards lol

luv

I'm not pushing for anything... I'm just saying that in today's world...especially theme parks in orlando, you can't remain stale. There are lots of attractons I've loved they have altered or removed... but I don't fault them for it.
I get that parks need to keep moving on. And some things, I hate to see go, like Jaws. I didn't mind at all when they took that movie out for the Laugh Floor. I liked the movie, but it was time for something new.

The Tiki Room, though...it's still good. It will always be good. It's a treasure. I'd rather see Pirates or the Jungle Cruise go. Or, of course, the horrid spinner.

Much of Disney's new stuff is crap, too. They take out something and replace it with something worse.

dcibrando

I get that parks need to keep moving on. And some things, I hate to see go, like Jaws. I didn't mind at all when they took that movie out for the Laugh Floor. I liked the movie, but it was time for something new.

The Tiki Room, though...it's still good. It will always be good. It's a treasure. I'd rather see Pirates or the Jungle Cruise go. Or, of course, the horrid spinner.

Much of Disney's new stuff is crap, too. They take out something and replace it with something worse.

if Disney removed Pirates you'd have world war 3 - now redesigning ok, but removing it... bad things would happen in the disney community lol

jungle cruise I love but I could see it going or relocating/redesign to AK

Clever Name

You make a great point! The crux of the matter is that if they took out the Tiki Room or CBJ is would be impossible for TDO to replace those shows with something worse since both shows are complete crap now. :)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It's thoughts like this that led to UNM, which was (IMO) the worst thing to happen to the MK since the giant birthday cake castle.

Times and audiences change, but that does not mean that every 5 years we should be swapping out rides and attractions. Some types of entertainment should be considered timeless. There has to be a good balance of Old vs. New, of "Excitement" vs. Nostalgia. My nephews were riding It's a Small World with us on our last trip and were treating it like it was some form of punishment, but that does not mean that IASM should be ripped up and replaced by some crazy simulator thrill-ride.
Nostalgia and timelessness are powerful things. One of the things that keeps me coming back is to be able to take my children on things I knew and loved as a child. To be able to capture, if only for that brief moment, that sense of childhood wonder. The parks do not need to be museums, and should keep pushing forward, but with a sense of respect to the past, and a sense of balance in it's entertainment and attraction offerings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom