New Seating in the Tiki Room

Clever Name

also I heard the case for 20k closing down was far from its popularity, the ride was at least from what I have read a maintenance nightmare. But I understand the need for the new space but many of these old attractions are why some families come back, nostalgia really does play a huge part in the disneyland and magic kingdom experience. I only think they should remove the tiki room if they were to put in a new successor to the show, something that would wow guests the way the old animatronics did back in the 60's something that would usher in a new era of technology and story telling.
Lack of popularity was just one of many issues with 20K. The ride never worked right. The audio was always bad, the windows fogged up, the effects outside the windows looked fake and amateurish and the air conditioning never worked properly. The boats were slow to load and unload and they were never able to provide access for disabled guests.

As for a new successor to the Tiki Room, I'll bet that it's just around the corner. Rather than having a bunch of moldy old singing birds they could rework the show so that the birds could talk with the guests. Once MyMagic+ gets in full swing, the birds will be able to call the guests by name and provide them information to help improve their visit.

The information provided by the birds will be tailored to the resort level of each guest. The birds will provide a code number to each guest that they can use later in the day for a special treat. Those staying off property or staying in the value resorts will receive pleasant conversation and maybe Fastpasses for the entire family for CoP. Those staying in moderate resorts will get Fastpasses to Peter Pan and Space Mountain. Those staying in deluxe resorts will get Fastpasses of their choice to any of several attractions in the park.

And sometimes the rewards will be random so that the value resort people can score a valuable prize such as their pick of Fastpasses to several attractions.

The new Tiki Room will be exciting for a change!

Fantaseer

Last time I was there, there was gum on the back of the bench in front of me, the bolts were loose and made the bench rock, it made a creaking noise, the bench was really sticky, and the paint was peeling in a few places. It NEEDS this update.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Last time I was there, there was gum on the back of the bench in front of me, the bolts were loose and made the bench rock, it made a creaking noise, the bench was really sticky, and the paint was peeling in a few places. It NEEDS this update.

Yeah, Iago was so stingy with maintenance dollars.

Seriously, did you go before the recent refurb?

tnemgif

Dramatically. I went in 2010 before the fire, and recall the same as you. It actually reopened during my 2011 trip, and we went in 2012. It was clean, fresh, and fun both times. They fixed a bunch of the animetronics and updated the lighting / effects. It's great fun now, I think!
I'd still love to see the show brought up to the calibre of the DL version. The center fountain and small effects really add a lot.

The Empress Lilly

I'd still love to see the show brought up to the calibre of the DL version. The center fountain and small effects really add a lot.
Yes!!

And the third pillar of DL Tiki superiority: Dole Whips. Please allow Dole Whips in the Tiki room! And citrus swirls.

Yes, I know WDW visitors are little piggies compared to DL visitors (and they in turn to Japanese), but just give the place an extra clean then!

puntagordabob

There are a number of Magic Kingdom attractions that should be removed and/or replaced. The Tiki Room is always at the top of the list because it's the oldest, the smallest, the lowest capacity, the least entertaining and the most likely attraction to be removed from WDW.

It's just a logical choice. The Tiki Room lost all of its relevance years ago. However, if they decide to change the name of Adventureland to Sleepytimeland then the Tiki Room will have truly found a home.

...We must attend a different show..... as I find the Tiki Room to be a fun and lively show that people from ages 1 to 150 can all enjoy together...it is a family friendly show....

Also we must attend a different Adventureland as well.... as I find the Jungle Cruise (though it could be enhanced I am sure with more modern tech) and the Pirates to be FAR FROM SLEEPY..... as far as the Carpets go (and I wish they would remove them or find a new home for them since it makes the area clausterphobic and we have a lot of of spinners in the MK anyways) it is not my family's thing BUT they are clearly many children's since it is usually full....

I think the issue is that your vision of "how things should be" is contrary to a lot of what other people believe.... now I agree in one respect, they could add on somehow to the land and perhaps toss in an E-Ticket in the spirit of the Indiana Jones attraction in Disneyland's Adventureland I say SIGN ME UP! That being said.... the Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, and the Pirates are all enchanting rides that Walt clearly believed was a good fit for Adventureland in his day...and today it is still a timeless set of three very different adventures...and ADVENTURES is what Adventureland is all about!

puntagordabob

You can't really compare Tiki Room to Jungle Cruise. Tiki Room is a very small attraction with very little capacity. Even though it is small, it still seldom fills its available seats. Jungle Cruise takes up a huge amount of real estate and swallows huge crowds every hour. Jungle Cruise fundamentally changed its show as well.

When Jungle Cruise first opened at DL back in 1955 it was based upon the True Life Adventures. There were a few small jokes and puns, but most of the ride was very serious. By 1962 the crowds grew tired of the Jungle Cruise and its popularity suffered. They turned to cornball comedy to lure the crowds back and it worked. They've never looked back. When Jungle Cruise first opened at WDW it was designed with cornball comedy in mind from the start. It still draws huge crowds.

20K is another good example. It took up a huge plot of real estate and was successful for many years. In later years its popularity diminished and by 1994 they closed it down. There really wasn't a way to make people laugh about being in a hot and smelly enclosed boat.

Nostalgia is great but if it doesn't draw the crowds then something has to be done. Mr. Toad, Snow White, The Skyway, The Swan Boats, Mike Fink Keel Boats and several other attractions have bit the dust due to low popularity.

As a practical matter the Tiki Room takes up such a small area that it would hardly be missed except for a few diehards. They would get over it quickly as did the Mr. Toad fans. Same thing goes for CBJ.

I see a real problem when they get ready to remove CoP. Again, it's one of those attractions that has dwindled in popularity and like the Tiki Room it has lost its relevancy and doesn't fit within its themed environment any longer.

However, removal of CoP is going to be a bear! It takes up a huge piece of real estate and the People Mover track is part of the structure. CoP will have to stay until a complete demolition of the entire area takes place in that corner of the park.

In summation, I think it's just a matter of priorities and available money. If you took all of the MK attractions and put them in priority order, the Tiki Room would no doubt be near the top of the list for removal. Heck, the Aladdin spinner does more business than the Tiki Room.

LOL I am so thankful that you are not high up in Disney management lol...

Disney just spent a lot of change to return the classic (though shortened) show to the Tiki Room... thinking they are about to demolish something they just sunk money into sounds like you have not apparently been paying attention to TDO's operation manual LOL

As far as "business", I believe it is different than think...the Carpets are more dominantly ridden by children, where as the Tiki Room has people of all ages attending.... also the Carpets is a ride while the Tiki Room is a show.....cannot compare apples to oranges

I have not. Is it really improved?

Yes it is... you will be happily surprised as Disney has worked wonders here... cept for the lack of the fountain but the current show and the condition of the building is a HUGE Plus!

As for a new successor to the Tiki Room, I'll bet that it's just around the corner. Rather than having a bunch of moldy old singing birds they could rework the show so that the birds could talk with the guests. Once MyMagic+ gets in full swing, the birds will be able to call the guests by name and provide them information to help improve their visit.

The information provided by the birds will be tailored to the resort level of each guest. The birds will provide a code number to each guest that they can use later in the day for a special treat. Those staying off property or staying in the value resorts will receive pleasant conversation and maybe Fastpasses for the entire family for CoP. Those staying in moderate resorts will get Fastpasses to Peter Pan and Space Mountain. Those staying in deluxe resorts will get Fastpasses of their choice to any of several attractions in the park.

And sometimes the rewards will be random so that the value resort people can score a valuable prize such as their pick of Fastpasses to several attractions.

The new Tiki Room will be exciting for a change!

LOL..... Your vision of The Magic Kingdom here sounds more like "Let's Make a Deal".....

4598381.jpg

sporadic

We were down last week and everything worked great! Full room as well. Not so much last year when we experienced 4 restarts. Didn't the original have a totem rise out of the center piece or a fountain? They need to bring that back.. So glad they killed the new management version.

aladdin2007

We were down last week and everything worked great! Full room as well. Not so much last year when we experienced 4 restarts. Didn't the original have a totem rise out of the center piece or a fountain? They need to bring that back.. So glad they killed the new management version.

Yeah but they didnt want to pay the extra money to reconnect the piping lines and all for the fountain. It would have been too much effort and budget. :confused: Maybe they will for the 50th.

WDWVolFan

They had that last year when we were there in late May/early June

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom