New RunDisney Virtual Run

dreamfinder

It looks like they're bringing this one back - does anyone recommend it? It sounds like fun!

The whole virtual race concept gets people very polarized. You basically are paying for the medal, or whatever schwag is involved in the race. Not necessarily a bad thing if the medal is what you want, but the runDisney ones aren't cheap by any means, and $39 is alot for just a medal. Most are done to benefit charities, so they cut out the cost of actually producing the race, but runDisney has been mum about how much actually went to charities for these. Some reports were that the charities only got the promotional coverage, plus whatever extra optional donations people made. So take it for what you want. If you have the extra however much it costs this year, and don't mind dropping it to just get a medal, then go for it. But unless runDisney fesses up about the actual cut to charity, I'm real sketch about it personally.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
The whole virtual race concept gets people very polarized. You basically are paying for the medal, or whatever schwag is involved in the race. Not necessarily a bad thing if the medal is what you want, but the runDisney ones aren't cheap by any means, and $39 is alot for just a medal. Most are done to benefit charities, so they cut out the cost of actually producing the race, but runDisney has been mum about how much actually went to charities for these. Some reports were that the charities only got the promotional coverage, plus whatever extra optional donations people made. So take it for what you want. If you have the extra however much it costs this year, and don't mind dropping it to just get a medal, then go for it. But unless runDisney fesses up about the actual cut to charity, I'm real sketch about it personally.

Like other people have said - it's the kick in the pants I need to actually train. I would love to run the Disney marathon someday and I gotta start somewhere...right?

Bacon

www.stripersonline.jpg

dreamfinder

Like other people have said - it's the kick in the pants I need to actually train. I would love to run the Disney marathon someday and I gotta start somewhere...right?

If the Disney medal would do it for you, then go for it. But personally you would get more out of doing a local 5k. Keeping charity dollars in your local community, interacting with other runners in your area, and one of my favorite parts, seeing the shirts people wear from other races to see what ones I should do to get the good schwag. ; )

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yeah, but that's how many of the threads in this particular sub forum work. We maintain a single thread for an event, and resurrect it each year when new info comes out. And really? The PP bumped something from 4 months ago, that's a far cry from the normal thread bumps that date back years.

Where would we be without the Thread Police? :rolleyes:

Horrors if a thread gets bumped .....can you imagine the size of the Running at Disney subforum if every time a runDisney event is a few months away, a new thread is created? Guess those of us running in 2017's Princess Half need to start a new thread for the upcoming race, rather than continue to post on a thread started in 2011...

I participated in a virtual 5k at my gym several months ago. However, the registration fee went 100% to the charity and I was "virtually" running with runners in the actual race in Miami. I was able to connect to the race using a special link provided by Citrix (race sponsor) on my phone and run with the other racers while on my treadmill. It was pretty cool. I will do it again next year, if my gym participates.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Or inside...on a treadmill...with a fan + air conditioning :)

Unfortunately my gym is at work and is only available from 7 am to 8 pm M-F and there is no fan :(. And while technically the building does have air conditioning, it often doesn't feel like it is. (Massive building, poorly insulated, HUGE 45 year old windows).

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Unfortunately my gym is at work and is only available from 7 am to 8 pm M-F and there is no fan :(. And while technically the building does have air conditioning, it often doesn't feel like it is. (Massive building, poorly insulated, HUGE 45 year old windows).

How hot does it get there in the summer?

Swissmiss

Premium Member
How hot does it get there in the summer?

Last couple of summers we have had multiple heat waves that seemed to go on forever; we get humidity too but nowhere near the unbearable humidity of the Southeast! What we don't have is air-conditioning except in "newer" commercial-use buildings (and not in residential buildings) At least the city has a ton of parks so it's always possible to find relatively shady areas to run - something I didn't appreciate enough until my 2 weeks at the beach and realized that there were practically no shade trees. This year's beach vacation is in an area with more shade ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom