New RunDisney Virtual Run

fvrs7189

Original Poster
At the risk of getting trampled, let me just say that for some, this might be an incentive. I have recently begun walking as part of a program to become healthier, lose weight, help my joints, and generally feel better. I've worked up to about 18min/mile for 3 miles 4 times a week and attending a Disney 5k event is a dream of mine. I'm not fast enough yet for the Disney pace, but I'll keep working at it. Believe me, I've spent much more than $39 on junk like diet drinks, etc. If this serves as an incentive and helps me push myself to eat better, train harder, and not give up, then I think it is a $39 well spent.

For runners who enjoy collecting the awards, I can see how they might enjoy this. If you have no opportunity to actually attend a Disney run, then this could be the best option. Honestly, I'd rather spend $39 on this than a dessert party any day, so guess it is really up to the individual to decide what's worth it or important.

I had thought they would link this with an app like Map My Run for verification. For those that would simply pay for the award and not earn it...they've gained nothing (and usually fool no one.) For someone like to me actually earn it...wow!:joyfull:

**moving to the side to let the faster runners by:)**
I tend to agree with you. I like to have some motivation. This very well could be some motivation for someone to start running. If i spend $39 to get healthier is that not a good thing?

KikoKea

@KikoKea Congrats on your move to become healthier! A walk program is a great way to start. I used to be a very active triathlete, participating in 1-2 races per month during the season. Then, in 2002 I stopped (long story). I decided two years ago to get active again, and I'm still trying to get back into decent shape. I found a great training program (couch to 5k) that started with walking and then gradually added in periods of running mixed with walking. If you're interested in moving to running, that would be a good, gradual way for you to transition from your excellent discipline in walking, and up to a 5k run. Good luck!
Thanks! I've heard of that program and I'll look into it. I'm using Map My Run to keep track and am mainly walking, although in the past few days I've tried jogging a few dozen yards here and there. Main issue is my ankles hurting so I'm trying to take it slow and easy to see what happens.

asianway

Hearing cutter that none of the entry fees go to charity only optional additional contributions. Anyone look into this?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
At the risk of getting trampled, let me just say that for some, this might be an incentive. I have recently begun walking as part of a program to become healthier, lose weight, help my joints, and generally feel better. I've worked up to about 18min/mile for 3 miles 4 times a week and attending a Disney 5k event is a dream of mine. I'm not fast enough yet for the Disney pace, but I'll keep working at it. Believe me, I've spent much more than $39 on junk like diet drinks, etc. If this serves as an incentive and helps me push myself to eat better, train harder, and not give up, then I think it is a $39 well spent.

For runners who enjoy collecting the awards, I can see how they might enjoy this. If you have no opportunity to actually attend a Disney run, then this could be the best option. Honestly, I'd rather spend $39 on this than a dessert party any day, so guess it is really up to the individual to decide what's worth it or important.

I had thought they would link this with an app like Map My Run for verification. For those that would simply pay for the award and not earn it...they've gained nothing (and usually fool no one.) For someone like to me actually earn it...wow!:joyfull:

**moving to the side to let the faster runners by:)**

Good for you!! Keep it up, and do it at your own pace.

I had thought they would link this with an app like Map My Run for verification. For those that would simply pay for the award and not earn it...they've gained nothing (and usually fool no one.)

That's the part I have a problem with. They should require proof that the distance was covered, otherwise the medal lis meaningless.

I tend to agree with you. I like to have some motivation. This very well could be some motivation for someone to start running. If i spend $39 to get healthier is that not a good thing?

It is a good thing, certainly. It's great motivation, I just think that anyone who gets a medal should get it for actually achieving a goal. Anyone registering for a virtual run should have to submit proof that they did the work before they get a medal for it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm running in a 10k next weekend to benefit our local animal shelter and the entry fee is only $10 ($15 if you want the t-shirt). When I first saw this on the runDisney site, I thought, "cool". Then I saw the price and thought "greedy".

lukacseven

I don't have as much of a problem with the price - it's Disney. I do have a problem with no proof of time. I agree with a lot of the comments - why not just sell the medals at the Disney store? No matter what the distance or where the race is, you need to earn your medal. For a lot of people their medal means a lot and represents a lot of hard work and sacrifice.

RiceCrispyMickey

Hearing cutter that none of the entry fees go to charity only optional additional contributions. Anyone look into this?

I've emailed them today to ask how much goes to charity as I am also intrigued. I tend to agree that $39 is steep but not such a bother if a good chunk of it goes to the charity which is why I'm curious. Also agree it would be a great incentive for anyone to begin running and work towards a 5k who perhaps cannot afford a proper rundisney event/vacation. I know training for Wine and Dine is what got me into running and I am fortunate that I could afford the cost to come over for the race (inc. international airfare as I'm from the UK). So for those less fortunate, I can see it being a good incentive.

I'll let you know if I get a response.

dreamfinder

Hope the virtual 5Ks with their shiny medals will help inspire runDisney to give shiny medals at on property 5Ks!

Careful. If they can get $39 for having to do nothing other than send a medal, imagine how much reg costs would increase if they actually have to put on an event?

JillC LI

While I'm shocked it took them this long, thats a bit pricy for not knowing how much actually goes to charity.

Yeah, I'm surprised it took them this long to catch on to this easy money maker. At least most of the other virtual races I've seen come with a teeshirt as well as the medal. $39 is insane for a medal unless part of that is tax deductible due to a charitable contribution, which I highly doubt.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm surprised it took them this long to catch on to this easy money maker. At least most of the other virtual races I've seen come with a teeshirt as well as the medal. $39 is insane for a medal unless part of that is tax deductible due to a charitable contribution, which I highly doubt.

And I doubt much of the $39 would be tax deductible, given IRS regulations.

You know, in spite of @dreamfinder's fear of Disney jacking up the price for on property 5k races to have a nicer medal, I wouldn't mind paying an extra $5 for the registration fee to get a nicer medal. For some, that 3.1 miles was just as much, or even more, of a challenge than the 10k and half are for others. So give them a nice METAL medal, not that plastic rubbery thing I got for the Princess 5k. They earned it.

KikoKea

I've emailed them today to ask how much goes to charity as I am also intrigued. I tend to agree that $39 is steep but not such a bother if a good chunk of it goes to the charity which is why I'm curious. Also agree it would be a great incentive for anyone to begin running and work towards a 5k who perhaps cannot afford a proper rundisney event/vacation. I know training for Wine and Dine is what got me into running and I am fortunate that I could afford the cost to come over for the race (inc. international airfare as I'm from the UK). So for those less fortunate, I can see it being a good incentive.

I'll let you know if I get a response.
I registered yesterday and there was an option to donate. (My dad died of Lymphoma, so I was happy to) I didn't see a note about how much of the registration fee, if any, would be donated.

Mad Stitch

Medal 2
CiWZx_MVAAQAwul.jpg

CanadianGordon

I'll admit it. I'm part of the problem. However me and my partner have wanted to do a RunDisney ever since they were announced.. This for us is the kick in the pants. We have been walking more, and actually went out to walk in our city, Toronto a bit back so we could feel it was counted. Ended up walking all of Yonge St.... from Finch subway, down to Union. Took us five hours, and we're not in the best of shape. But it was 11k by the time it was done. So pretty happy with it. Just waiting for the humidity to break before we do another walk/run.
They are nice medals by the way.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Good for you! Building up by walking several times a week is a great way to start - I did the same and it made the transition to running fairly easily. The people on the this running forum are extremely helpful and generous with their advice; it's helped me quite a bit this past month when an injury has kept me from running. I'll be doing the DLP half at the end of September and although I think that I'll have to walk more of it than I would have hoped, I feel confident that I will be able to finish it (I was up to running 6 miles fairly easily before I got injured) and that is my ultimate goal: to finish it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom