New Rumor Says Further Demolitions Cancelled & Clubs Could Reopen!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Mouse Detective

Unfortunately, doesn't this mean that honeymooners are coming to Disney World anyway despite the lack of nightlife?

Perhaps, but more likely they come for the Magic that Disney does so well. Once here, they either had not heard that PI closed down 3 years ago or they don't much about PI to begin with and search for nightlife and find out that they have to go off property to get it.

lazyboy97o

What makes people visiting Walt Disney World so different from the people taking a trip aboard the Disney Cruise Line? The recent announcement of details for the Disney Fantasy once again included a good bit of focus on the amenities specifically catered towards (and even limited to) adults. There are not a few offerings, but multiple different offerings aimed at enticing adults. Why cannot there be some of the same at Walt Disney World?

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
What makes people visiting Walt Disney World so different from the people taking a trip aboard the Disney Cruise Line? The recent announcement of details for the Disney Fantasy once again included a good bit of focus on the amenities specifically catered towards (and even limited to) adults. There are not a few offerings, but multiple different offerings aimed at enticing adults. Why cannot there be some of the same at Walt Disney World?

because TDO is stupid. Additionally Karl Holtz used to be over DTD when PI was in its prime before eventually ending up over DCL. Coincidence that DCL hypes its nightlife? I don't think so. It's about Mgmt philosophy

lebeau

Original Poster
Unfortunately, doesn't this mean that honeymooners are coming to Disney World anyway despite the lack of nightlife?

Perhaps, but more likely they come for the Magic that Disney does so well. Once here, they either had not heard that PI closed down 3 years ago or they don't much about PI to begin with and search for nightlife and find out that they have to go off property to get it.

I had the same thought. My guess is a lot of these honeymooners are having a great time, but might be missing something to do in the evenings. If PI had been open, it would have put things over the top just that much more.

It's still a great place to honeymoon. But it's missing something that really rounded out the experience. And that something is the nightlife of PI.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I had the same thought. My guess is a lot of these honeymooners are having a great time, but might be missing something to do in the evenings. If PI had been open, it would have put things over the top just that much more.

It's still a great place to honeymoon. But it's missing something that really rounded out the experience. And that something is the nightlife of PI.

Back in 1990, my wife and I enjoyed several nights at PI on our honeymoon. Now, we were going to WDW regardless, but the chance to enjoy the clubs, drinks and some jello shooters was just icing on the proverbial cake.....:)

lebeau

Original Poster
Back in 1990, my wife and I enjoyed several nights at PI on our honeymoon. Now, we were going to WDW regardless, but the chance to enjoy the clubs, drinks and some jello shooters was just icing on the proverbial cake.....:)

We honeymooned there in 2003. PI was still open, but it wasn't in its glory days. Through a series of comedic events, I went on the trip with no form of ID. I was lucky to get on the plane. But as a result, we couldn't get into PI.

We had a great trip. But we really would have liked to have spent some time at PI. It was the offseason and the parks closed early. So we spent many nights just cruising DTD because there was nothing else to do. I imagine that's how a lot of today's Disney honeymooners feel.

juniorthomas

Which just means you have bought into Disney's recent emphasis on the parks. Disney is capable of creating compelling non-park experiences, but why should they when so many have bought into the concept of nothingness after the parks close?

In saying I've bought into Disney's recent emphasis, it implies that I once was into whatever Disney was selling before the parks. I'm not old enough to have known anything other than DisneyParks, so theres that.

And again, I'm just not part of the demo that wants nightlife at WDW. Some people are all about that sort of thing, and I'm sure they're up in arms about not having a playground after they leave the parks. Me, I'm fine just heading back to the hotel and relaxing before the next day.

juniorthomas

for many, the themed bars and nightlife was just another part of the whole "Disney Experience". Just like the fine dining or dinner shows or golfing and renting the motorboats. While the parks are obviously the main draw. Walt Disney World truly had something for everyone.

Well said.

juniorthomas

Disney's original idea for EPCOT was to build a city where people lived and worked. Had that happened, there indeed would have been all sorts of shopping, dining and night life. But Disney died and so did the vision. Remaining management realized that if people lived on Disney property, they could vote on Disney property. And control of the Reedy Creek Improvement District was not something they were about to give up. So the idea for a working city died and it was replaced with.....a theme park.

I love the build up and the dramatic anti-climax.

flavious27

We honeymooned there in 2003. PI was still open, but it wasn't in its glory days. Through a series of comedic events, I went on the trip with no form of ID. I was lucky to get on the plane. But as a result, we couldn't get into PI.

We had a great trip. But we really would have liked to have spent some time at PI. It was the offseason and the parks closed early. So we spent many nights just cruising DTD because there was nothing else to do. I imagine that's how a lot of today's Disney honeymooners feel.

The last time I went to PI was in 05 for my friend's wedding. His parents worked in the winter and had extra passes for PI, so me and my now wife hit up the island for some fun. It wasn't that pleasant of an experience with the gates being opened and the drunk teenagers roaming.

lebeau

Original Poster
The last time I went to PI was in 05 for my friend's wedding. His parents worked in the winter and had extra passes for PI, so me and my now wife hit up the island for some fun. It wasn't that pleasant of an experience with the gates being opened and the drunk teenagers roaming.

Yeah, I wandered through PI in 08 when the gates were open and I had kids. It was... interesting...

Removing the gates was a bad idea.

flavious27

Yeah, I wandered through PI in 08 when the gates were open and I had kids. It was... interesting...

Removing the gates was a bad idea.

I bet, like setting up a beach bar at a little league game.

During the day I don't see a problem with the gates being open, the island and clubs doesn't start to get adult until the sun sets. I think that tdo's management could have solved the traffic issue in the 90's with a simple solution and added more retail space at the same time.

Did Knee

I remember in '08 going into the AC and seeing this couple...he was conservatively dressed, but she was in a VERY skimpy skirt and a bustier...the kicker was that they had a baby carriage (not a stroller, an old fashioned buggy) with a tiny infant in it, right there in the main Salon. I was absolutely astounded...what kind of parents bring an infant into a bar?? I knew then Disney had made a huge mistake. Clubs are and should be for adults and children should not be allowed. That said...the AC was one of the greatest bars I have ever been to (the other being the Safe House in Milwaukee http://www.safe-house.com/ ). If Disney does look for 3rd parties...that is one I wouldn't mind seeing on HW.

flavious27

I remember in '08 going into the AC and seeing this couple...he was conservatively dressed, but she was in a VERY skimpy skirt and a bustier...the kicker was that they had a baby carriage (not a stroller, an old fashioned buggy) with a tiny infant in it, right there in the main Salon. I was absolutely astounded...what kind of parents bring an infant into a bar?? I knew then Disney had made a huge mistake. Clubs are and should be for adults and children should not be allowed. That said...the AC was one of the greatest bars I have ever been to (the other being the Safe House in Milwaukee http://www.safe-house.com/ ). If Disney does look for 3rd parties...that is one I wouldn't mind seeing on HW.

Wouldn't surprise me, I gave up on people knowing what is best when I saw a father bring his kids to see saw V. As for the attire, I have seen some outfits that moms let their pre-teens daughters wear that would have been only appropriate if the mom was working at a strip club.

MMFanCipher

My wife and I went to WDW for our honeymoon in 1990. We had no problem finding something to do at night. And it had NOTHING to do with anything on Disney property. :D

trr1

I am sure Honeymooners are not missing somthing to do in the evenings :animwink: :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom