New RFID technology in the parks?

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
Ha, Exactly. Well we didnt add that new E-ticket or expand AK or the studios but we have this awesome new wristband system! :lookaroun

The wristbands dont bother me really, I actually think it would be easier than carrying around a ticket. My only question/concern is how the fastpass system will work. So far the rumors that have been doled out Im not a fan of, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

That's a definite plus. Maybe credit cards and cellphones won't mess with the bracelet.

Buried20KLeague

It sounds to me like the exact same summary we got when this Next Gen stuff was first talked about.

It seems more logical to me that this is just a re-report of what it's going to do rather than them flipping the switch on the whole thing at once.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what I have read about the wristband is that it will not give you fastpasses for the day, or free photopass pictures. Its like combining your photopass card, your key to the world, and all those little paper fastpasses all onto your wrist. With photopass, you will have to have your wristband scanned by the photographer. With fastpass, you will still have to go to the ride, scan your wrist, and get a return time. The only "change" is that you can do this all with one wristband instead of separate items.

As for the RFID, I would be curious to find out the range of the tags and how far away they can be read. Most RFID tags/readers are short distance (like the card reader to open doors at work that is becoming common). There are tags with longer distance, where they could read the tags of everything in the boat on POTC, for example. Or can you imagine Little Leota at the end of HM saying "Hurry Back, John Smith from Glendale, CA! And don't forget to bring your... wife Martha, and two kids Sally and John Jr!"

erasure fan1

Correct me if I am wrong, but what I have read about the wristband is that it will not give you fastpasses for the day, or free photopass pictures. Its like combining your photopass card, your key to the world, and all those little paper fastpasses all onto your wrist. With photopass, you will have to have your wristband scanned by the photographer. With fastpass, you will still have to go to the ride, scan your wrist, and get a return time. The only "change" is that you can do this all with one wristband instead of separate items.

This would make things more of a challenge. Example: at Epcot we go to soarin first and when we are done I take the tickets and hightail it over to test track to get FPs. I then meet everyone back at the land or seas. So either we all have to go (total slow down) or I have to take all the wristbands instead (hope they come off easy) and if they dont have their wristbands could they miss out on some interactivity? Could you imagine the confusion/pandemonium of a Brazilian tour group at the FP kiosk or a representative of the group trying to keep 50 wristbands strait. :lol:

Mammymouse

Not liking it. I don't think personalizing a ride experience is worth all the money Disney is pouring into this. If everybody will be getting a "personal" experience what makes it so special? And what about the kids - you know the little kids that outnumber adults at the Parks. They are going to fiddle around with a bracelet and lose it. What a nightmare. And when the bracelet thing fails what is next - stamping a bar code on our wrists? This is way too Big Brother for me. I don't have a problem carrying a ticket or card.

jmick71

everyone go check out the art in the bottom of this link... http://dizfanatic.com/DizTech012.aspx

this will make the theme park experience 100% more magical, and allot more convenient,

the bracelet acts as your room key and theme park admission, but with all the extras that disney has to offer added on (photo pass, fast pass, and maybe soon a video pass) for everyone saying " what happens if it gets lost" it would be like your room key got lost or your theme park admission got lost. most of the kinks have been ironed out, because disney has ben using key to the world cards, and theme park admission(for fast pass) for years now, and know what to do if you loose your room key/ ticket. I think it is much more easer to lose a tiny piece of paper/plastic than a rubber bracelet.

additionally they will make grate souvenirs :D

wow i sound like an infomercial lol:ROFLOL:

Oddysey

The possibilities and ways to enhance the show with this tech could really be cool if done correctly. I like the idea, I just hope they dont leave AP holders out in the cold. Will wait and see I suppose.

I do have a concern about using something like this as a room key... Seems like it would be easy for someone to build an RF reader, and walk past you, read your RFID chip, and from there, they would be able to clone your bracelet, no? I don't know enough about RFID, but that would be my fear. With a card, you have to swipe it, and its kept in a purse, pocket, or wallet. But a bracelet is out in the open on your wrist. I am sure that Disney has thought of this, and probably has some good security measure to ensure this doesn't happen, would love to know how they would prevent that!

lebeau

If I don't wear a bracelet during my every day life in New York why the hell would I want to wear one while I'm vacation in the Florida heat?

If you really don't want to wear the wrist band you can just stuff it in your pocket and wave it around when applicable.

LJake

Great news for me, I'm always wearing at least 1 charity/awareness wristband anyway, a disney one would be welcomed :D

Zac Skellington

This would make things more of a challenge. Example: at Epcot we go to soarin first and when we are done I take the tickets and hightail it over to test track to get FPs. I then meet everyone back at the land or seas. So either we all have to go (total slow down) or I have to take all the wristbands instead (hope they come off easy) and if they dont have their wristbands could they miss out on some interactivity? Could you imagine the confusion/pandemonium of a Brazilian tour group at the FP kiosk or a representative of the group trying to keep 50 wristbands strait. :lol:

I hear you. I'm also the Fastpass runner of my family. I would hate to see the mess at the Soarin FP kiosk if every person has to go through that area to get a FP.

It looks like, from the photos, one can remove the braclet... I hope.

Zac Skellington

I think it will be awesome if they can combine my AP, DVC, TiW, D23 cards on the wristband. How cool would it be if they automatically applied those associated discounts to your food or merch bills when you use your wristband to pay?!

notnothin

I do have a concern about using something like this as a room key... Seems like it would be easy for someone to build an RF reader, and walk past you, read your RFID chip, and from there, they would be able to clone your bracelet, no? I don't know enough about RFID, but that would be my fear. With a card, you have to swipe it, and its kept in a purse, pocket, or wallet. But a bracelet is out in the open on your wrist. I am sure that Disney has thought of this, and probably has some good security measure to ensure this doesn't happen, would love to know how they would prevent that!

I would expect that this has been anticipated. My guess is that there is some level of encryption or key exchange involved in order to prevent this type of fraud. Cryptography is a wonderful thing!

Kamikaze

If you really don't want to wear the wrist band you can just stuff it in your pocket and wave it around when applicable.

Ding ding ding. Thats what I've always done at EMH. I've had a couple CMs tell me not to remove it in the future, but I hate having things on my wrist, so they'll deal.

Kamikaze

Yeah, the measure is not to use RFID for a room key.

irmonkey

Not really paranoia so much as an invasion of privacy.

Plus who wants to wear a plastic band around their wrist in Florida summers? I just barfed in my mouth a little at the thought of them reusing the band and forcing me to wear someone elses.

Paranoia. Its everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom