New Retro Shirts at Mouse Gear!!

cymbaldiva

If i recall properly, Mousegear was Centorium which was a store that opened with the park. I believe it expanded and absorbed one of the original Communicore areas... cant recall which one, though I do beleive it expanded to the south (toward World Showcase). It was really a sort of lateral move in terms of floor space though, because Centorium had 2 floors, whereas Mousegear removed the second floor for a higher ceiling.

OMG - I forgot all about that! This last visit was the first time I'd been it quite some time and I was thinking that the store was named and placed differently...

Thanks for refreshing my memory! :)

Captain Hank

That's not entirely true...

Anyway - Mouse Gear used to be the Centorium and the Electronic Forum. The present-day Kids Room is the old Forum theatre - it still retains the round shape. Where Home Decor is located used to be an area where there were computers and information stations and you could access weather information, hidden Mickey's lists, etc. The second floor had an Art of Disney accessible via elevator or stairs.

The floor used to be multi-level, where parts of it would sink down. This was changed to be more ADA-compliant and the floor is now completely level. When the store first opened, there was a character meet and greet located in the back (behind the kids room) but this was discontinued.
Is that little nook to the right of the south fountain entrance (the one closest to the cement logo in the ground) a reminant of the meet and greet?

Figment82

Original Poster
Is that little nook to the right of the south fountain entrance (the one that empties closest to the cement logo in the ground) a reminant of the meet and greet?

Yes, those sliding glass doors were the entrance to it - it still has an archway that is chained off (why, I have no idea). It used to have a canopy too to keep people cool in the hot summer sun when the line got too long.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Well, for a while the meet/greet was Centorium while the rest of the building became Mousegear. That's why those speaker-covers and such have the look that they do. It's the transition from Centorium to Mousegear, and those speaker covers actually used to be the signs.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ahh.... one of my favourite history topics - the Communicores :D

To add to the above, the upper level used to stock high-tech gadgets, as opposed to `park gifts` before it housed the gallery. Communicore was moved to the east corridor in early 1999 as the main store floor was filled in, reopening as MouseGear on Spetember 20th 1999 - though the corridor was never included in the MG plans (look for me taking pics through windows in 10 days time!)

Also, the circular part of MouseGear that sticks out into the fountain area (I`m sure Figment82 can say what part of the store it is today) was added in late `86/early `87 - prior to this the store just had a circular wall of glass from Futurechoice to the breezeway, with a rounded triangle of grass between it and the fountain.

Figment82

Original Poster
Also, the circular part of MouseGear that sticks out into the fountain area (I`m sure Figment82 can say what part of the store it is today) was added in late `86/early `87 - prior to this the store just had a circular wall of glass from Futurechoice to the breezeway, with a rounded triangle of grass between it and the fountain.

That area is now currently home to men's clothing, and it's one of the few places in Epcot where you can hear the full Innoventions loop.

Figment82

Original Poster
Well, for a while the meet/greet was Centorium while the rest of the building became Mousegear. That's why those speaker-covers and such have the look that they do. It's the transition from Centorium to Mousegear, and those speaker covers actually used to be the signs.

Yes, and I think they look tacky and need to be removed/rennovated along with the archway and chain, but that just might be me...

Figment82

Original Poster
I agree on them ebing rennovated..

But archway and chain? Whatcha refering to?

It sits in front of the old meet and greet entrance (those black sliding glass doors). I might have a photo of it (goodness knows I've taken enough photos of the place!), give me a second.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Oh yeah, i forgot about that weird arch, i usually just remember the speaker covers.

Why is that there? Now that Kristos is gone and Jammitors dont really play plaza anymore, they dont even stage anything there - what's the point?

Figment82

Original Poster
Here's an impossibly bad photo of what the area looked like as a meet and greet, you can see the archway and the old canopy (it's a photo of a photo that another person took)

1418094417_a11fd3aa92.jpg

EPCOT.nut

If anyone wants to PM me for a size Large yellow shirt - I bought one yesterday for my DH and he doesn't like the color. :ROFLOL::(
Here is a pic:

Attachments

• EPCOT shirt 001.jpg
    EPCOT shirt 001.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 37

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom