New Resort

Favrefire4

Original Poster
I was looking in one of the archives and saw that there were plans for a resort bigger and nicer than the Grand Floridian to be built across from the Contempoary. Has Disney given the green light to go ahead and build this resort? Can anyone go into greater detail on this resort and when or if the resort is ever going to be built. Thanks in advance.......

AndyMagic

True. After Pop Century finally opens I don't think Disney will open a new resort for a while. There simply isn't a need for more rooms! Of course they could always build new DVC resorts as those always seem to do well no matter what.

WDWspider

No... this is new news (well rumors). I've heard the same. This isn't a mass market resort like Pop Century. It would be the Ultimate (small capacity) Resort... totally superior. I know the area where the soil is not good for building. I am not sure, but I think this resort would go at a different location (with a private entrance to MK ? ). The rumors are highly sketchy at this point, but I have heard them somewhere (wish I could remember where). But it is very iffy at this time which is the main reason I have never mentioned it.

wl2002

New 5 syar resort

I read the same rumor/report as spider man somewhere. It would be a small resort and very high level. The thinking is that they want a 5 star resort on property (believe it or not the Floridian is only 4 stars). From what I recal it was to be built across from the Floridian with a private entrance to MK.

MGM WDWFan

I wouldn't think that a new resort would be built there for a number of reasons.

1) There are enough of the Disney Deluxe Resorts in that area already, and traffic to the Magic Kingdom resorts can be a real bear during heavy seasons as it is.

2) Having a resort over there that didn't have the monorail going through it would be a little weird to me, it seems.

3) There are other places to build a Deluxe resort. The MGM area comes to mind.

--MGM

SewIn2Disney

Re: New 5 syar resort

Originally posted by wl2002
I read the same rumor/report as spider man somewhere. It would be a small resort and very high level. The thinking is that they want a 5 star resort on property (believe it or not the Floridian is only 4 stars). From what I recal it was to be built across from the Floridian with a private entrance to MK.

That kind of sounds like the one in CA. They have a resort there (is it the Grand Californian?) That has it's own enterence to California Adventure.

BitO'PixieDust

Several years ago on one of our trips to WDW, we saw a sinkhole where you are talking about, between the Contemporary and Polynesian. It appeared something was going on in that area. We asked a CM about it and were told they had been thinking about building a new hotel there with a "Mediterranean" theme.

Haven't heard anything about it since:(

WDWspider

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
The resort that was going to be in the place of the Grand Floridian was the Asian resort.

You can find more information here...

http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/asian.htm

The resort across from the Contemporary was originally going to be the Ventian. That though never even came close to reality.

I am definitely not referring to the Ventian and the sink hole area. Hmmmm... the Asian does seem to ring a bell. Maybe the project is being reconsidered?

orangefan15

Wow! A five-star....that would be awesome! Unfortunately, I doubt it would be happening in the near future. Given Disney's reluctance to even finish a resort that is already partly built (Pop Century), I can't really envision them shelling out funds to build a completely new one at this time.

maelstrom

i think it was dumb to start building the pop century resort, with as many rooms as it is supposed to have. i mean, its a good idea to build some more value rooms, so that people are more likely to stay on disney property and not on 192 (my uncle wasnt happy when he found out he could stay on 192 at the best western east gate for $60/night, and he was staying at the caribbean beach for $200/night), but i think almost 6,000 new value rooms was a bit too much. i dont like the value resorts anyway, theyre too noisy. eh, just my two cents.

all41

What exactly was wrong with the soil? How does a soil problem prevent you from building a hotel?

Confused:veryconfu

SirNim

Originally posted by all41
What exactly was wrong with the soil? How does a soil problem prevent you from building a hotel?

Confused:veryconfu
A sinkhole underneath Future World West partially was the cause of the closing of Horizons...

I too have heard a rumor concerning the building of an extremely exclusive deluxe resort near the MK. Was it Kingdom Suites? To be built near the Contemporary and the MK. However, with times as they are, don't expect to see any new resort in WDW for a long while after DPCR opens. Just no demand. The resorts are handling the lighter crowds sufficiently.

The resort planned to go on the sink hole was the The Grand Mediterranean Resort ( one of the working names at the time), it was initially planned prior before AK even opened I do not recall exactly but 93-94 might be about right, anyway they did start to get into the construction phase but they found they could not stop the foundation from sinking, given no other ideal location and a discovered non-need at the moment the concept has been either completly scrapped or at best put way back on the shelf.

I do not believe that there is any new rumors about it but I think the old ones keep circulating

I am not sure about the planned size but I do know that the price scale was supposed to be above GF's a true luxury resort hotel for WDW, also I do not think there was a planned in park access.

Originally posted by SirNimajneb
Was it Kingdom Suites?

This was much more recent with in the last 5 years or so, and I believe a concept that would have had private MK access, the price range however while not being above GF's scale was planed I believe to be the "suite" price tier of GF's (ie being an all suite resort)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom