New Resort

maelstrom

A sinkhole underneath Future World West partially was the cause of the closing of Horizons...

yes, i heard that as well. i heard horizons became really dangerous because of the sink hole. but now they're building m:s in the same spot. will that have the same fate? will all of future world have the same fate? NOO! *cry*

isnt the lagoon there because of it being a sinkhole..?

kennyj29

Caribbean Beach $200.00 @ night?

I've never ever heard that CB is $200.00 a night. The highest is $139.00. Also, with out sounding dumb what does BUMP mean when someone says that. Does it mean they agree with the previous post?

maelstrom

we paid $169 for our rooms at the caribbean beach. and according to the website, rooms can be as much as $209 for a water view room during holiday season.

i think 'bump' means that theyre bumping the thread up so that it doesnt die. hope that made sense.

freaklarm

Originally posted by FigmentDream
The resort planned to go on the sink hole was the The Grand Mediterranean Resort ( one of the working names at the time), it was initially planned prior before AK even opened I do not recall exactly but 93-94 might be about right, anyway they did start to get into the construction phase but they found they could not stop the foundation from sinking, given no other ideal location and a discovered non-need at the moment the concept has been either completly scrapped or at best put way back on the shelf.

I do not believe that there is any new rumors about it but I think the old ones keep circulating

I am not sure about the planned size but I do know that the price scale was supposed to be above GF's a true luxury resort hotel for WDW, also I do not think there was a planned in park access.

Hi, I work in the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake and had never seen anykind of construction in this area. The rumors about the mediterranean themed resort doesn't come from that time but from the originals master plan for the MK area. If you ever been at PI Comedy Wearhouse, there is a map of this concept along with other ones in your way to the restrooms.

Don't look for this thing to happen anytime soon. If they wanted to built there, the sinkhole thing wouldn't be a problem, engineers can fix that, the thing is they they don't see the need to build a new resort at this moment.

Badger Brent

"bump" is a term used to keep a thread going when it has some viable discussion. Not everyone can come on the boards and see what's being talked about. To keep the thread going and maybe some interesting points it's sometimes used.
The only space logical could come from the space between the GF and MK. Could you make a seperate entrance to mk? I wouldn't think so. A monorail connection maybe. Fantasia Boi would know if a hook-up around that area would be possible. As much as I would like to see something like this, with today's times it doesn't seem likely. A new DVC resort would probably work well in that area though. Saratoga Springs will be a hard sell with the location. Just my 2cents.

Kellylynn322

Originally posted by SirNimajneb
A sinkhole underneath Future World West partially was the cause of the closing of Horizons...

I too have heard a rumor concerning the building of an extremely exclusive deluxe resort near the MK. Was it Kingdom Suites? To be built near the Contemporary and the MK. However, with times as they are, don't expect to see any new resort in WDW for a long while after DPCR opens. Just no demand. The resorts are handling the lighter crowds sufficiently.

Maybe I am just having a mental block this morning but what is DPCR?

Katherine

All these ideas sound awsome! I wish they would do something with these concepts!

Also, Why don't they make a maderate resort in the MK area(or why have they not)? I mean I love the resorts in that area but when it comes down to it we just can't afford to stay there and end up a Carribean Beach or Coranado Springs. Don't get me wrong I love them both but I'd love to be closer to MK.:(

CSOM

On the monorail from Polynesian toward Contemporary, there is an area that is just opn on the left side (forward facing) right on the lagoon, is this the area that everyone is talking about, not enough for a huge resort, but could be for a small, intimate one.

Shaman

Other than bumping:lol: ....I'll give my 2 cents:hammer:

I have to admit I was surprised that with all the Disney Deluxe Resorts not one was considered to be five stars. In Universal one of the best resorts in Orlando, The Portofino Bay Hotel, is indeed a five star resort and themed to be a port in Italy. Hearing all this about a Mediterranean themed Hotel, would simply copy Universal's resort and while I believe one is already built in Tokyo Disney, called Hotel Miracosta, I think that Disney shouldn't built it at WDW, because looking at pictures it look too much like Portofino Bay.

Take a look:

http://www.hotelmiracosta.com/english/index.html

River Country has been closed for sometime, and many rumors have materialized that the space will be used to build another resort, the Venice themed resort I believe has been linked to these rumors. Once again I think this is also a bad idea. If anything, Disney should add a moderate resort to the MK resort area (I stress again....if anything).
I like the idea of the hotel having an enternace to the park, but I just believe that MK, doesn't need this. In Anaheim I stayed over at The Grand Californian and it had an enterance to California Adventure (let me say other than a view of the inside of the park from my room, which some of the GC rooms have; I think Grand Floridian is a better resort). Lately, this idea of resorts overlooking parks has popped up all over the place, including Cali, Paris and Tokyo. If Disney is going to build another resort, and will build it to have an enternace to a park, they should build their five star resort near AK. They could have their five star resort there with an enterance to AK, in an area which needs resort and some more life. The resort could be themed around either an Asia (which I don't like, especially with a pacific theme already in Disney) or amazon look. Just some thoughts.

netenyahoo

It is interesting to read a little history about what might have happened.

I don't think they need a new resort now. Maybe down the road they should build a moderate in the MK area and they could also build a 5 star super deluxe hotel. If they wanted it to have its own entrance to MK I don't know how they'd do that unless it was someplace near Tomorrowland or Toon Town Fair. There is quite a bit of land all around the park and most of it empty.

WDWspider

Originally posted by CSOM
On the monorail from Polynesian toward Contemporary, there is an area that is just opn on the left side (forward facing) right on the lagoon, is this the area that everyone is talking about, not enough for a huge resort, but could be for a small, intimate one.

Some people are taking about this, the location I am talking about is to the left (facing MK) with a possible entrance to Adventureland.

I have also saw past info that showed a resort to the right of tomorrowland, but on Bay Lake, not adjoining MK.

Invero

Originally posted by Badger Brent
The only space logical could come from the space between the GF and MK. Could you make a seperate entrance to mk? I wouldn't think so. A monorail connection maybe. Fantasia Boi would know if a hook-up around that area would be possible. As much as I would like to see something like this, with today's times it doesn't seem likely. A new DVC resort would probably work well in that area though. Saratoga Springs will be a hard sell with the location. Just my 2cents.

As it stands now, the MK Resort Monorail loop is at capacity. It cannot handle the traffic of another resort.

As for location... the area between the Contemporary and the TTC is labled as the Mediterranean area on all the Monorail power grids. I'm guessing when we re-did our power grid when the new Mark VI's came in, we labled it that because we thought someday it might come to be.

That area is not safe for a resort... just recently, there was a small sinkhole that opened up, and who knows what else might happen. They could always do what Boston did with the Big Dig, and do a soil transplantation, and change the makeup of the soil.

As for the area between the GF and the MK... it's really not a great location... too close to processing plants, backstage, and really no way to access the MK.

The MK area really is congested enough with 6 resorts. If I remember correctly, there was a resort (possibly DVC) planned for across from Fort Wilderness & Eagle Pines golf course. The location would be close to Epcot, MK, and Downtown Disney, but AK would be a pain to get to.

As for the location of Saratoga Springs... there's nothing wrong with it. It's relativly close to Epcot, Studios, Downtown Disney, and MK isn't too far either. AK is the only one that might be 15 mins away, tops.

Stitch FL

Originally posted by spider-man
Disney's Pop Century Resort. Which I don't think will open. :lol: :rolleyes:

6 buildings are completed as well as the common areas and they are planning on staffing the resort in the next month or two....:animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom