New Pricing for 2008

KnK

Just read on another site (allearsnet.com) that they will be introducing a new price stucture for lodging in 2008. Looks like the days of booking the last day of value season and having the price carry over is gone.

slappy magoo

I'm not one to stomp my li'l cyber feet & pout "IT'S NOT FAIR!" and frowny icon how I really feel. WDW's a business and can do what they think will make them the most scratch.

But I really think Disney's really getting to "blood from a stone" time when it comes to the cost of a vacation for the average person or family. And if they really jack up the price of weekend rates of resort rooms without comparatively dropping the price of a weekday rate, you'll either see

a: people ONLY doing Sun-thur vacations, or
b: people who will attempt switching from a mod or high-end resort to a Value on the weekends. In fact, I suspect this will happen no matter what, but especially if the weekend rates are much more than weekday rates. I think WDW may have traded one set of headaaches for another. I can halfway understand a higher "weekend only" rate, but people spending a week or more shouldn't feel a pinch but probably will.

And the idea of adding a surcharge to meals during the holidays really seems like nickel-and-diming the customer to a ridiculous degree. If they can manage giving aeay free dining for 6 weeks out of the year, I'd suspect they'd still make decent coin without a holiday meal surcharge. It's almost seems like they can't handle the record crowds they've ben brining in and are now actively trying to discourage people from coming.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I'm not one to stomp my li'l cyber feet & pout "IT'S NOT FAIR!" and frowny icon how I really feel. WDW's a business and can do what they think will make them the most scratch.

But I really think Disney's really getting to "blood from a stone" time when it comes to the cost of a vacation for the average person or family. And if they really jack up the price of weekend rates of resort rooms without comparatively dropping the price of a weekday rate, you'll either see

a: people ONLY doing Sun-thur vacations, or
b: people who will attempt switching from a mod or high-end resort to a Value on the weekends. In fact, I suspect this will happen no matter what, but especially if the weekend rates are much more than weekday rates. I think WDW may have traded one set of headaaches for another.
exactly!

Upvote 0

tecowdw

It's a side effect of the supply and demand factor...
Disney is enjoying higher occupancies so it's the time to try and get more $ for the same.

Boo hiss to the weekend premium aspect!!!
:(

This is probably a result of the tons of people that have been using their refillable mugs from prior years or filling them up someplace other than where they were purchased! Disney is losing money now so they have to nickle and dime to make up for it, ya know!
:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

celticdog

Remember...this is all speculation. Disney may create weeday rates, weekend rates and weekly rates. They try to get you to spend more time on property and longer trips. Just look at the MYW tickets. It's only a $2 jump from a 5 day to a 6 day.

Upvote 0

disneytopdog

Originally Posted by New2WDW
I thought it mentioned Jan 1 2008 as when the prices will take effect?

Anyway, does anyone think the mid week prices will go down any or just that the weekend prices will go up?

I think this change along with the past price changes on tickets will start pushing more folks back off property...:shrug:

>

WHAT! One can hope can't he? :lol:

The mid week price will stay the same. People arrive on Saturday or Sundays and stay at least a week . Thats what all the Disney travel books say. The only folks that will get screwed will be as someone else posted, The close by weekend travelers. But they will have cars and can stay off property

Upvote 0

LudwigVonDrake

Obviously crowds are back in a big way. Disney is a business. Thus, they are going try and maximize as much money as they can out of the recent surge in reservations. If you choose not to stay on property, there's another family waiting in the wings waiting to pay for the right to stay onsite.

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
OK sooooo....we usually go a week sometime between mid January and 2nd week of February to avoid the Presidents Day mess and beyond. Have gone 6 times in the past 8 years during this time and vowed NEVER to go with the nations vacation again after attempting it 2 years back.

My question is this....will there still be a VALUE season? Or are the rates just going to be up and down randomly supply/demand based. I usually reserve in August for the next trip. Shouldn't they give me my rate at that time and hold to it?:veryconfu Last year I got my rate X7 days same rate every day including a weekend.

Upvote 0

rluey29

Another rumor is that they are removing tips from the dining plan and raising the price of it also. So if you purchase the dining plan for 2008 you will have to have extra cash for tips to pay OOP.

Upvote 0

Kadee

I am curios to know how much more it will be to stay on the weekends now. Is this away to get more people in during the week.
Or to get less on weekends?....which is what I think will end up happening.

Another rumor is that they are removing tips from the dining plan and raising the price of it also. So if you purchase the dining plan for 2008 you will have to have extra cash for tips to pay OOP.

That has been discussed to death in another thread, but to repeat what I put in that thread, if that happens, I will not be getting the dining plan, and will be eating more counter service (and off property).

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Obviously crowds are back in a big way. Disney is a business. Thus, they are going try and maximize as much money as they can out of the recent surge in reservations. If you choose not to stay on property, there's another family waiting in the wings waiting to pay for the right to stay onsite.

Yes, but this might come back to bite them in the rear because the people come frequently for the weekends or even many times in one year, will now be going off property to other good hotels that are just as nice and start staying there. These people that will now go off property are the same people that came to disney when no one else was coming back in 2001-04, so if there is another occurrence that impacts travel, you now don't have your regulars to support you anymore because they are staying elsewhere.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

WDW simply isn;t relying on local busines anymore to really fill their parks. They would rather ofer more substantial packages and benefits to those staying on property, bring them in from around the country and world, and hook families, kids, and adults alike. Locals staying off-property will still be spending their money, and they can keep new and returning out-of-town guests coming in.

Upvote 0

New2WDW

This does seem like a bad move by Disney. Yes I know the supply/demand concept but the benefits for staying on property are becoming less attractive with price hikes, reductions, and overcrowding. These benefits were the big reason for paying an increase to stay on property, which before was not all that much more. Now it sounds as if it is going to climb out of reach.
I really have a feeling, like others in this thread, that this is going to have an undesirable effect on WDW! :brick: There will soon be no such thing as Value Resorts, Value Season or Value Rates.

Upvote 0

stmize

I hate this. We are taking advantage of it our next trip. It is usually not an issue but because of the current system we were able to stay longer and spend more money.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

WDW simply isn;t relying on local busines anymore to really fill their parks. They would rather ofer more substantial packages and benefits to those staying on property, bring them in from around the country and world, and hook families, kids, and adults alike. Locals staying off-property will still be spending their money, and they can keep new and returning out-of-town guests coming in.

Don't count on that, because I go at least 4-6 times a year and I can tell you that if the prices increase to a level where I can find better rates at a better hotel, I will go off property. In fact this past May, I almost consider doing just that because the Marriott Orlando World Center had a rate of $105 a night, but then they came out with the AP rate which was about the same for the moderate level hotel, so opted to stay on property even though the Marriott is a deluxe hotel, but there may come a time where the rates will be less at an off-property deluxe than a moderate or value.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That sounds like a plan! Go ahead and start one! I have never stayed off site and have no clue about such things!!!:veryconfu
I don't know if I would be much help either. I rarely stay off site and with the exception of the Gaylord Palms, which is more expensive than a deluxe, they have all been pretty crappy experiences.

Upvote 0

coltow

My grandfather has a home in Haines City, FL which is about 30-40 minutes away from WDW. We used to stay there all the time because he would just winter there and we'd go in the summer. Once he moved there full time is when we began to stay on property (so as not to put him out any), but if they do dramatically change the prices, my family is sure to be calling "Grampy" alot more for visits.

Upvote 0

Kadee

Don't count on that, because I go at least 4-6 times a year and I can tell you that if the prices increase to a level where I can find better rates at a better hotel, I will go off property. In fact this past May, I almost consider doing just that because the Marriott Orlando World Center had a rate of $105 a night, but then they came out with the AP rate which was about the same for the moderate level hotel, so opted to stay on property even though the Marriott is a deluxe hotel, but there may come a time where the rates will be less at an off-property deluxe than a moderate or value.

Last summer, we did a two week trip where we stayed close to Universal for a few days. We got an Internet rate at the Doubletree, which was VERY nice.....nicer, larger and more comfortable rooms than any WDW hotel..... for $59/night! The beds had down comforters and mattress pads and 6 pillows on each. It was wonderful. I've never slept so well on vacation before! There are MANY off site hotels that are much nicer and a lot cheaper than a moderate or value already. With EMH being so crowded, the only perks for us now are transportation (We HATE driving in WDW) and the Disney Magic of being on property.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom