News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Ayla

Building vertically here does allow a lot of people a nice view of the park, which is sort of a good thing. Many on here are looking to stay there.

I think my only real complaint is calling it "Polynesian", which it really isn't. Unless you count Singapore part of polynesia.

They should have called it the "Grand View Hotel" or something, because that is exactly what you're paying for.

Maybe they could offer the Polynesian faithful an olive branch and tear down the Bungalows to give us that stretch of beach back. Now that they can "sell views" down the beach a bit.
The only thing anyone is seeing at the MK is the top half of the castle, SM and Tron. It is too far away to see anything else.

I feel terrible for anyone getting married at the Wedding Pavilion. What a disaster.

peter11435

Don't worry, this resort will NOT look like a Polynesian resort when it’s done anyway.
Would you prefer something like this actual Polynesian hotel

DC27B141-841C-401C-97C4-404A1FA6473C.jpeg

Bocabear

There’s big concrete blocks of balconies there too…

View attachment 778257
And again....the hotel is IN FRENCH POLYNESIA so there is no need to evoke the setting while you are already there ... this resort is supposed to create the setting and ambience of Polynesia... I am sure there is a convenience store or gas station in Papeete Bay, but that does not mean a gas station and convenience store are placemaking additions that would transport you to the South Pacific...lol

BrianLo

And again....the hotel is IN FRENCH POLYNESIA so there is no need to evoke the setting while you are already there ... this resort is supposed to create the setting and ambience of Polynesia... I am sure there is a convenience store or gas station in Papeete Bay, but that does not mean a gas station and convenience store are placemaking additions that would transport you to the South Pacific...lol

I like Poly the resort a lot. I just was in French Polynesia in December... French Polynesia actually does not evoke Poly very well at all. Poly is more an evocation of American Tiki Culture. Emphasis on American.

This isn't meant to be a defence of the Poly Tower, the Poly Tower isn't American Tiki Culture enough... It's actually too modern Polynesia and not enough idealized American. 😂

Bora Bora bungalows notwithstanding. That's the only part of the resort that actually evokes the islands and its kind of the worst current part of it.

Said maybe a harsh way.. Poly is to French Polynesia as American 'Chinese Food' is to actual Chinese cuisine. That's the closest analogy I can think of. Unlike say Animal Kingdom where some of the areas legitimately feels like an idealized version of the places they are inspired from. Or World Showcase, which is sort of a half-way in between.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I do indeed love Americanized Idealized Tiki Culture....
not even kidding... There is a book out called Polynesiacs... It is about people creating Tiki escapism in their homes.
We are actually in the book.... My love for Tiki culture began like most in the book...(a common thread among a lot of Tikiphiles)... At the Enchanted Tiki Room when I was a kid, and the Polynesian resort at Walt Disney World...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom