News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

castlecake2.0

I’m not sure PO is a prime candidate for DVC. They have yet to make the jump to DVC at moderate properties. So unless they plan to go the riviera route and make it technically it’s own new resort I don’t see it happening. The tower at CSR is not DVC and was needed for convention guests, not something PO has to deal with.

Yacht Club, further expansion at Poly/GF, BLT south, and EPCOT main entrance are all more likely.
I’d love a world showcase resort built behind some of the pavilions that mimic the architecture and add more depth to the countries, front entrance resort doesn’t interest me but I’m assuming it’s to market it as the first Epcot monorail resort

MrPromey

Wow. That's a Poly eye-sore. They're going to put that, next to this? :oops::mad:
ZXNvcnQxNy5qcGc
Couldn’t agree more!

I thought the whole reason for the Disney resort concept was to have these places be something other then what are essentially standard high-rise hotels.

Obviously the hotels are cheaper in the long run, take up less space, and require less theme but the whole point of staying at Disney was for something better… I thought.

I mean, people have been unhappy about the Swan and Dolphin ever since those went up but now it feels, all they want to build are hotels and far less ambitious ones, at that.

The Disney most of us grew up loving truly is dead.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Rooms are on a separate schedule from other work around the resorts. CBR should be seeing a room refurbishment project later this year into next.
Hope that includes putting a Murphy bed or something in the king rooms. Family of 3 the extra queen bed is just a waste of space.

Casper Gutman

Couldn’t agree more!

I thought the whole reason for the Disney resort concept was to have these places be something other then what are essentially standard high-rise hotels.

Obviously the hotels are cheaper in the long run, take up less space, and require less theme but the whole point of staying at Disney was for something better… I thought.

I mean, people have been unhappy about the Swan and Dolphin ever since those went up but now it feels, all they want to build are hotels And far less ambitious ones, at that.

The Disney most of us grew up living truly is dead.
The Swan and Dolphin were big and garish and intrusive but they were also distinct. You could look at them and say, “I want to stay there because I’ve never stayed somewhere that looks like that.”

Earlier in this thread I mentioned I have stayed in every resort built before AoA. The reason I did that is because each offered a unique themed experience. Staying in a new resort was as big a deal as going to the parks themselves, and the hotels played a HUGE part in making me a WDW fan. Do we think this DVC is going to make a new generation of WDW fans? Are people going to look at it and say, “boy I have to stay there?” Disney management really is not concerned with creating a new generation of folks willing to shell out at WDW, they just want to milk the existing group dry. Which is a questionable business model.

MrPromey

The Swan and Dolphin were big and garish and intrusive but they were also distinct. You could look at them and say, “I want to stay there because I’ve never stayed somewhere that looks like that.”

Earlier in this thread I mentioned I have stayed in every resort built before AoA. The reason I did that is because each offered a unique themed experience. Staying in a new resort was as big a deal as going to the parks themselves, and the hotels played a HUGE part in making me a WDW fan. Do we think this DVC is going to make a new generation of WDW fans? Are people going to look at it and say, “boy I have to stay there?” Disney management really is not concerned with creating a new generation of folks willing to shell out at WDW, they just want to milk the existing group dry. Which is a questionable business model.

I was too young to have much thought about it when the Swan and Dolphin went up.

They just looked huge and fantastical to me.

They still do but outside of the Contemporary, they were definitely the only hotel-style resorts (away from Hotel Blvd) and that they were being run third-party sort of made sense.

This new one looks as though it would be right at home on Clearwater beach, hiding in the shadow of another different looking hotel on one side and casting its own shadow over yet another different looking hotel on the other.

I feel like Hotel Blvd is becoming the “style” Disney wants to move everything new towards, not just without regards to the drop in standards for these new builds but with absolutely no regard for the exiting “neighborhoods” they are wanting to shoe-horn them into.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I couldn’t agree more

The personalities of the Hotels is a huge draw. And did a lot to create the loyal fanbase…known as “DVC” now.

WL and DAKL represent that to a T.

Same with restaurants…a huge reason for repeat business. Now? Steak, chicken, salmon, brownie, cheesecake, NEXT!

Indy_UK

I can see the likes of this tower and the Grand Flo DVC add-on as a replacement to reflections. Just build on what you currently have

SpaceMountain77

I’m not sure PO is a prime candidate for DVC. They have yet to make the jump to DVC at moderate properties. So unless they plan to go the riviera route and make it technically it’s own new resort I don’t see it happening. The tower at CSR is not DVC and was needed for convention guests, not something PO has to deal with.

Yacht Club, further expansion at Poly/GF, BLT south, and EPCOT main entrance are all more likely.

So, let me take you back 10 years to another time . . . .

Picture it, Los Angeles 2012, a newly minted PhD is completing a postdoctoral training at UCLA and using an online dating site to meet other singletons. Every date is the same, someone in the industry. Side note, explaining my postdoctoral training program never went well. But I digress.

One night, without knowing, I go on a date with someone from TWDC that is currently working on, among other things, a potential wholesale reimagining of Port Orleans - Riverside (aka Dixie Landings) because of continued concerns regarding its backstory and, specifically, the Magnolia Bend southern plantations.

Now, this was just one date. However, whenever there are whispers or rumors about something happening at Port Orleans, I think of our conversation.

Interestingly, another project that was mentioned over dinner was the reimagining of Splash Mountain in Disneyland with a Dr. Facilier storyline, something involving the "Are you Ready?" song prior to the drop.

castlecake2.0

So, let me take you back 10 years to another time . . . .

Picture it, Los Angeles 2012, a newly minted PhD is completing a postdoctoral training at UCLA and using an online dating site to meet other singletons. Every date is the same, someone in the industry. Side note, explaining my postdoctoral training program never went well. But I digress.

One night, without knowing, I go on a date with someone from TWDC that is currently working on, among other things, a potential wholesale reimagining of Port Orleans - Riverside (aka Dixie Landings) because of continued concerns regarding its backstory and, specifically, the Magnolia Bend southern plantations.

Now, this was just one date. However, whenever there are whispers or rumors about something happening at Port Orleans, I think of our conversation.

Interestingly, another project that was mentioned over dinner was the reimagining of Splash Mountain in Disneyland with a Dr. Facilier storyline, something involving the "Are you Ready?" song prior to the drop.
Can you remember any more details about PO you can remember? I agree that the current resort backstory is not going to get any less awkward.

tl77

Above edited for time/length.

Any family or couple with 2 or more adults could use two showers. With one of them being a tub, it's a huge help to families, similar to the Riviera studios.

As far as old key west goes, it books up about as quickly as Saratoga (last), and has way less points overall. More or less, nobody wants to stay there because it's spread out and the bus loops are annoying. Now if you want to build that here instead, you're talking about what.... 8 units? Bob wouldn't stir his coffee for 8 units.
WOW! I can't think of a polite way of telling you that you're clearly part of the problem... but if you want to spend your points on "a hotel room with 2 showers?" you're part of the problem... most of us want more than that, that's why the biggest rooms, Old Key West being the biggest, go the fastest

If you hadn't "edited" my post you'd see there's about 12 Old Key West buildings on the map, which is around 35 units... if they were all 1 story taller that'd be 50 units, and that looks like this ugly high rise in the concept art is offering about 30 units. There are 20 of the "over priced bungalows on the water" ...that are usually empty

But When the DVC first launched 30 years ago, it was 3 Vacation clubs built by Disney... the original now called Old Key West, Vero Beach, and Hilton Head... they all had similar layouts, and Disney "lead you to believe" they would be building more of these on property, but they never did.

Here's what they look like... Vero Beach
Vero Beach1.jpg
Vero Beach2.jpg

Hilton Head

Hilton head 1.jpeg

Hilton head 2.jpeg

and Old Key West again
old-key-west-buildings.jpg
Disney's-Old-Key-West-Building6.jpg

Not many people seem to want to stay in Disney Deluxe Monorail resorts for $600 a night, so they're converting them into DVC, but "most" DVC members don't want to be in hotel room at all. All these low profile DVC buildings would work real well at the Poly, "instead of" the ugly Reflections thing at Wilderness Lodge... on that giant piece of land between the Poly and Contemporary that's"not suitable for building another high rise on" and no one wants to stay in a high rise anyway

What Bob should want, is what we 30 year DVC members want... or he can try building "another high rise" that sits half empty most of the time
DVC site.jpg

SpaceMountain77

Can you remember any more details about PO you can remember? I agree that the current resort backstory is not going to get any less awkward.

So, the conversation centered on Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend representing cabins and mansions on a southern plantation, respectively.

Yes, the possibilities ranged from razing Magnolia Bend, building new lodges, and retheming the overall resort to being the first resort to go the way of Discovery Island and River Country. It would close for an extended period of time, be razed, and rebuilt as something entirely different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom