News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Definitely not the idiot for liking it. Some among us are very jaded and always see the negative in anything Disney does these days. Understandable in certain situations. Opinions will vary.
Idiot is a projection. A frequent one from you.

I’m just saying what happened and the resulting business tactic. If people are comfortable with it…then that’s there comfort zone and more power to them.

However it shouldn’t be a standard pattern. There has to be a line. If the current conversion at grand Floridian is a part of the original deed block…then I can see it.

If the take the back wing off the lobby at beach club, gut it and call it “Disney mermaid bay villas” in the 3 years and sell it at $275 a point…it’s just creating more a problem for DVC and the rack customers.

pdude81

Yeah…I’m trying to figure out how that’s gonna fit? I was a GSM there (briefly) in another lifetime

Grand days indeed.
Nobody is worried about fit. They are worried about occupancy. And, as we all know, DVC guarantees occupancy.

The odd thing that (current) DVC owners don't get is that these rooms with 2 real beds will be extremely popular. IMO much more popular than the kitchenette. I could be wrong on that, but we'll see.

correcaminos

Nobody is worried about fit. They are worried about occupancy. And, as we all know, DVC guarantees occupancy.

The odd thing that (current) DVC owners don't get is that these rooms with 2 real beds will be extremely popular. IMO much more popular than the kitchenette. I could be wrong on that, but we'll see.
This is something that in DVC groups most feel the opposite. Most who are older DVC are not thrilled with these at all. Older VGF owners are actually worried that people will try to buy in and make old occupancy harder to book.

So not sure if you are a DVC owner or if you are around a lot of DVC groups a lot, but I think the opposite based on all I read on different forums and on the FB group (26k members) that I help moderate. Especially with the murphy beds being so wonderful, the idea of losing a kitchenette and not having a real fridge is a big deal to most of us. Personally I would never book this room unless it is a one night stay. I even want the toaster and use that all the time in studios. I also want a fridge, and not a beverage cooler. Seems majority of those I see posting want the same.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I would think you’re right

This is something that in DVC groups most feel the opposite. Most who are older DVC are not thrilled with these at all. Older VGF owners are actually worried that people will try to buy in and make old occupancy harder to book.

So not sure if you are a DVC owner or if you are around a lot of DVC groups a lot, but I think the opposite based on all I read on different forums and on the FB group (26k members) that I help moderate. Especially with the murphy beds being so wonderful, the idea of losing a kitchenette and not having a real fridge is a big deal to most of us. Personally I would never book this room unless it is a one night stay. I even want the toaster and use that all the time in studios. I also want a fridge, and not a beverage cooler. Seems majority of those I see posting want the same.
I’m always fascinated when you share the group feedback.

It seems like a throw back in time to me. The old guard type that is more interested (than the newer travelers) in the room and not where Disney is focused

Ayla

I have absolutely negative comments and feelings myself. This is just not one of them I guess. I am also a long standing lover of Polynesian and my favorite childhood memory is visiting the resort on our first trip. We stayed there 4 years later. I suppose I'm more open to some changes. I'm positively negative about others though.

That's my point I was trying to tell you. National has beat Alamo the last 4 trips for me. I haven't seen Alamo cheaper even through Costco or autoslash since 2020. But really a car service would be much cheaper if you don't need a car. Or ride share service if you do want to go offsite a lot
Costco is multiple companies compared. I want a car to use to go offsite to KSC and I'm happy with the price I am currently booked at. I am not, nor will I ever, use a car share, nor am I stupid enough to uber to KSC.

I've traveled around the world and know how to rent a car, thanks. This is my 5th car rental while traveling in the last 11 months. Price is not much of a consideration.

correcaminos

I would think you’re right

I’m always fascinated when you share the group feedback.

It seems like a throw back in time to me. The old guard type that is more interested (than the newer travelers) in the room and not where Disney is focused
Disney has to balance both to be fair. And to be fair my groups are full of new owners (last few years) all the way to original owners. Since they upped the minimum buy in for new people, their clientele has changed. When it was 50 points, the type buying in was totally different than those who will have to buy 150 points. A lot who bought in were also previous owners adding on.

They need to keep those with the money happy. $32k is a ton of money to plunk down and that's what's being asked of brand new buyers.

Efirefly

I'm really surprised at how many people are upset about the Luau Cove part of all of this. I was under the impression that Spirit of Aloha was almost universally hated.
We liked it. We liked the one with the dancers more than the Mickey and Minnie characters. We didn't go every year to it, but we have great memories of every time that we did go.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney has to balance both to be fair. And to be fair my groups are full of new owners (last few years) all the way to original owners. Since they upped the minimum buy in for new people, their clientele has changed. When it was 50 points, the type buying in was totally different than those who will have to buy 150 points. A lot who bought in were also previous owners adding on.

They need to keep those with the money happy. $32k is a ton of money to plunk down and that's what's being asked of brand new buyers.
The more money you have…the less likely you care about a kitchen and a dining room table.

Or a microwave…in my experience

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Costco is multiple companies compared. I want a car to use to go offsite to KSC and I'm happy with the price I am currently booked at. I am not, nor will I ever, use a car share, nor am I stupid enough to uber to KSC.

I've traveled around the world and know how to rent a car, thanks. This is my 5th car rental while traveling in the last 11 months. Price is not much of a consideration.
I don’t doubt your experience or research…

Travelers are just very easy marks right now

The corporate world had loaded up To “get em” for 2 years…
…and now it’s time to open fire 🎯

correcaminos

Well I know Costo so I don't need your help on that either. Forgive me for attempting to be helpful as a former Costco user. Their prices haven't been better for any brand in any class than National since maybe 2020. It shocked me. Was trying to pass along as another who looks at prices weekly.

Going to KSC does make a difference. Hard to know that if you don't mention that you want to go to the coast not just off site. So again sorry I tried to help.

The more money you have…the less likely you care about a kitchen and a dining room table.

Or a microwave…in my experience
Way to pigeon hole people. Seriously. You know why I want DVC rooms? For space. These new rooms severely lack space. I was just in a studio with only my 14yo and it became too small at the end. Glad we had the 2 showers though.

People who have money aren't all crazy spenders. They often make the best deals. Growing up with people in million dollar homes (not me) I saw it with my eyes.

That and really to be honest that toaster, fridge and microwave does help. Disney food is too much to have every meal. I need more healthy options than what they give. The amount of extra fat is astounding to me. I felt so bloated after just 1.5 days this week that I picked up some healthier options. Breakfast lunch and dinner at Disney was gross feeling. Nothing to do with money

nickys

Premium Member
Valid point, I’m sure they have good bones, but I’m wondering things like the roof, plumbing, electrical, low ceilings, wood rot etc, I’m wondering what internally Disney Considers their usable life span before it’s more costly to maintain than to replace.
The Poly DVC contract expires in 2066. They have to maintain the DVC log houses until then.

nickys

Premium Member
The Polynesian Village longhouses are all steel structures. The original longhouses that were just refurbished are modular units built by US Steel that were stacked in place like the Contemporary Garden Wings. The DVC longhouses were added later and are more traditional street structures.

Parking is based on the number of rooms. Form doesn’t really matter.
I thought at least two, if not all three, of the DVC long houses were just converted, which is why there are only studios.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You seem to think everything but Aulani is hated.

No…bad stuff is.

The luau wasn’t perfect…but it was a nice diversion
Screenshot_20220319-163202.png

correcaminos

I thought at least two, if not all three, of the DVC long houses were just converted, which is why there are only studios.
The three newest long houses that were built were converted to DVC. They also converted CCV and created 1 and 2 bedrooms as well. At the time there was a lot of issues with people wanting studios and unable to book so they tried and created mostly studios. Unfortunately people didn't like the point prices I guess and they didn't do it for CCV or RR. Oddly they are trying again with VGF in Big Pine Key.

They easily could have done 1 room = a studio. 2 rooms = a 1 bedroom and 3 rooms= a 2 bedroom like they did at CCV.

but I’m wondering things like the roof, plumbing, electrical, low ceilings, wood rot etc, I’m wondering what internally Disney Considers their usable life span be
They were gutted entirely for the opening in 2015 so the plumbing and electrical was redone. The buildings they chose were built in either 1978 (Tokelau) and 1985 (Moorea and Pago Pago)
The Poly DVC contract expires in 2066. They have to maintain the DVC log houses until then.
Just smiling at the typo... and will make a joke about wrong resort, must be thinking cabins ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right…Internet reviews are what they are

Again…it wasn’t the greatest thing ever but NOTHING offered in wdw is. It’s all the context.

Try finding an internet review of any Hotel that doesn’t claim it’s the best place ever or the dirtiest/worn down place ever.

The food at Luau wasn’t fantastic…but it was fine. The food at Ohana and le cellier isn’t good either and check those reviews

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom