News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

Animaniac93-98

As a genuine question, I wonder whether part of the reason is that Disney sees AA shows as a thing of the past? Up until the 1990s, they used to open them and always propose them for new things. It seems in recent years, though, that they mostly keep the existing ones running and never add new ones when building new lands and parks. Does anyone know when Disney last opened an AA show?

Are we counting Le Visionarium in Paris, or Alien Encounter? Not as many as previous shows, but they had a few.

Golden Dreams at DCA was supposed to be like The American Adventure, but became a movie due to budgeting.

Sir_Cliff

Are we counting Le Visionarium in Paris, or Alien Encounter? Not as many as previous shows, but they had a few.

Golden Dreams at DCA was supposed to be like The American Adventure, but became a movie due to budgeting.
I would count at least Alien Encounter.

Either way, my impression is that around this time in the early-to-mid-1990s was when they stopped talking about adding audio animatronic shows. I remember, for example, there was one in the plans for the refurb of DL's Tomorrowland that ended up never happening prior to the 1998 debacle refurb. Perhaps it was more a casualty of budgeting than anything, but it does strike me that they are the sort of attractions that I don't think they've opened with any park since EPCOT or maybe Le Visionarium in Paris if you could that.

Animaniac93-98

I would count at least Alien Encounter.

Either way, my impression is that around this time in the early-to-mid-1990s was when they stopped talking about adding audio animatronic shows. I remember, for example, there was one in the plans for the refurb of DL's Tomorrowland that ended up never happening prior to the 1998 debacle refurb. Perhaps it was more a casualty of budgeting than anything, but it does strike me that they are the sort of attractions that I don't think they've opened with any park since EPCOT or maybe Le Visionarium in Paris if you could that.

Tokyo Disneyland opened with 4 of them in 1983 (Meet the World, Tiki Room, Country Bears and Mickey Mouse Revue), but is now down to two of those.

I get why they didn't build any like them for Euro Disney due to the language barrier, but it was around that time they largely stopped doing AA heavy stuff in general. Sinbad in Tokyo feels like the last time they really did an attraction with lots of AAs.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
As a genuine question, I wonder whether part of the reason is that Disney sees AA shows as a thing of the past? Up until the 1990s, they used to open them and always propose them for new things. It seems in recent years, though, that they mostly keep the existing ones running and never add new ones when building new lands and parks. Does anyone know when Disney last opened an AA show?
Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy would be considered one (to the same extent that Cranium Command was considered one)

Stitch’s Great Escape in 2004 would count as well...

Not as extravagant as American Adventure, but they’re something.

doctornick

Could've been in the TSR they axed with the hundreds of other things they axed, you can read about it in the book they're selling
Nah. The TSR should have been built as well though I’d probably opt for live entertainment there.

An AA show in the vein of Country Bears would help address a number of issues at GE:

- lack of aliens
- lack of famous “Star Wars music”
- not having enough stuff “to do” beyond shopping and things behind paywalls.
- opportunity to get out of the heat/sun (always key for Florida)
- something all ages since both rides do have a low but real height restriction.

I’d love to see a show hosted by a Gran character (I think that’s a tough species to do with prosthetics/make up and better for an AA), add in a droid for comedy relief and have the Modal Nodes perform and maybe Max Rebo or such. Maybe have some alien hecklers. I think there’s a lot of potential and would really round out the offerings in the land.

MagicHappens1971

Nah. The TSR should have been built as well though I’d probably opt for live entertainment there.

An AA show in the vein of Country Bears would help address a number of issues at GE:

- lack of aliens
- lack of famous “Star Wars music”
- not having enough stuff “to do” beyond shopping and things behind paywalls.
- opportunity to get out of the heat/sun (always key for Florida)
- something all ages since both rides do have a low but real height restriction.

I’d love to see a show hosted by a Gran character (I think that’s a tough species to do with prosthetics/make up and better for an AA), add in a droid for comedy relief and have the Modal Nodes perform and maybe Max Rebo or such. Maybe have some alien hecklers. I think there’s a lot of potential and would really round out the offerings in the land.
I present to you “Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser”, it really is amazing how many of the concepts and things designed for GE got stuck behind a $6,000 pay wall

DreamfinderGuy

I'm baffled as to why they didn't think re-purposing the Cranium Command theater for an Inside Out themed animatronic show with Cranium Command references wouldn't have been a good idea... Why not open PLAY! with a new animatronic show and simulator ride? Put some attractions in there like before? Put a Wreck-It Ralph attraction in the simulators and Inside Out in Cranium Command. Give us something, man. Utilize those attraction wings. Why NOT? Have a pixar gift shop at the end of CC and a generic Disney animation gift shop at the end of BW.
I think a lot of it might have to do with the fact that the theatre was no longer up to code, and it was already enough of an undertaking making sure the rest of Wonders was. It got to a point where fully removing the theatre was probably the most logical plan. That and of course, recycling a 30 year old attraction that's been closed for 15+ years probably wouldn't be that great of a look for Disney making a "new build".

DreamfinderGuy

not up to code? as far as ADA ramps? I can't imagine they were not grandfathered in if they had kept the same attraction going...
It was more electrical/structural stuff. They cut power to the work lights because the roof leaked so badly that it became a fire hazard. Did not have an inspection since 2009. The place was falling apart, that's why there were signs posted everywhere at the theatre entrances that it was an unsafe area and not to enter without clearance.

ppete1975

If it doesn't open by December of 2023 it takes the title of longest construction project in EPCOT's history. Absolutely insane for something that was already supposed to open last year.
I think the concept delayed it more than the construction for once. When we are being told not to touch stuff, and thats the entire premise (as far as we know) behind the attraction, the rush to complete is kind of gone.

DreamfinderGuy

I think the concept delayed it more than the construction for once. When we are being told not to touch stuff, and thats the entire premise (as far as we know) behind the attraction, the rush to complete is kind of gone.
With the rest of WDW back to normal, that's no longer a valid excuse. It was once upon a time, for a large chunk of its construction, but there's no reason that a project initially meant to open within two years should now potentially take another two and a half from today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom