News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

PymParty

I really can't wait for D23 !
Updates on EPCOT overhaul, WDW 50th, Marvel Lands (DCA, HKDL, WDS), Frozen Lands (HKDL, WDS, TDS), WDS expansion, HKDL expansion, TDS Expansion, DAK announcement, DLP announcement, MMRR announcements...
Be ready for the biggest D23 ever, especially since Disney is making so much money with Parks and Resorts

brb1006

Updates on EPCOT overhaul, WDW 50th, Marvel Lands (DCA, HKDL, WDS), Frozen Lands (HKDL, WDS, TDS), WDS expansion, HKDL expansion, TDS Expansion, DAK announcement, DLP announcement, MMRR announcements...
Be ready for the biggest D23 ever, especially since Disney is making so much money with Parks and Resorts
You might want to lower your expectations just in case.

Timothy_Q

We should learn from previous Expos, that even if they have a lot of projects going on, they will likely talk about very few of them.

Especially international projects. Especially especially the amazing things happening at TDR

TwilightZone

I mean really, have people forgotten that epcot is all about interactive experiences. Even if IP filled, play pavilion is a sign that disney is taking good steps in the right direction. Sure it's not educational, but in the age of the internet having educational rides is a bad move when you can just look it up in 3 seconds.

tirian

I'm not going to read through 21 pages of arguments, but if there are people up in arms about an unused Epcot pavilion being redeveloped and utilized as a full-time attraction again, I don't know how to reason with you.

Wonders of Life wasn't coming back. 1982 Epcot isn't coming back. Disney is not doing things just to spite you.
Nobody is upset. Pixie Dusters decided the Doom-and-Gloom crowd and the Realistic fans hated it, but the consensus is a win-win scenario. I think everyone has accepted IP is coming no matter what.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Marvel movies grossed $4B in 2018 alone. (Box office alone)

That means after sharing with theaters, they received $2B. And they spent $.68B in production and another $.34B in advertising and other costs.

So, it was only a profit of $1B.

Those poor dears, scraping by with just a net billion dollars in just one year...

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Not sure If it's been mentioned already, but just noticed that the 2nd building from the right says WEDWAY on top
Anyone mention The Incredibles yet? That's definitely Edna on the far left.
I'm not going to read through 21 pages of arguments,

Is 21 pages really that difficult to skim through? Or to use the search button top right which allows one to easily search a thread for mentions of X, Y, or Z? 🤷‍♀️

For a roundup of the released artist's concept that one may have missed...

OK, after close examination, here's my take:

The "Play" Pavilion is going to be like when in Ralph Breaks the Internet, Ralph and Vanellope visited Oh My Disney website. And so, entering the pavilion, you'll be transported to various Disney web apps/sites.

As far as the interior design goes:
  • there's a sunken mini-ampitheater facing a stage. Looks like there are dancers and Vanellope and a guitarist on stage
  • the light globes all have circuit board designs... again, signs we'll be in the internet
  • the sky is a star field (I hope that will lead to an active one with cool projections)
There are characters walking around:
  • Mickey
  • Tinkerbell
  • Vanellope
  • Olaf
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Nick
Whether they'll be M&Gs or walk-arounds or even there at all is unknown. Obviously, there won't be a four inch Tinkerbell buzzing around you.

There are two characters represented as toys being held by a child
  • Plush Mickey
  • Buzz Lightyear
Then are the building frontages going from left to right:
  • Edna Mode Emoji
    • no other text, so, maybe it's an Edna or Incredibles M&G?
    • or maybe an interactive costume place with touch pads to create costumes or mirrors to overlay costumes?
  • Dance Dance
    • Goofy, Mickey, and Donald are dancing characters on the sign
    • there is a colored wall of blocks similar to a Candy Crush game
    • so, either its probably a dancing game place, or, just has a dance floor with lights as in the disco floor of Staying Alive
  • Cinema
    • emoji of Marie on the front
    • what looks like a big "D" at the top of the tower... wonder what that could stand for????
    • And a big play button at the ground floor
    • so, guessing it will be a place to see movies, shorts, cartoons, etc...
  • Let's Play with Exclamation Point icons
    • maybe some sort of gaming room
  • Wedway
    • nothing of note on the front of the building, but coming out of the right side is a big tube on the ground floor and the monorail above it
    • a demonstration of motion, or an actual (kiddie) mini-ride?
  • Hotel with sleeping Joy emoji
    • I'm guessing a nap place or quiet lounge

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The Wonders of Life Fanbase account on Twitter just said that last they heard, Play is slated for a Mid-2020 opening. Any word on that @marni1971?
To be fair that was last I heard, and I also said “Don’t quote me”

From the Press Release...

The as-yet-unnamed space will come to life under the vast dome of the pavilion previously known as Wonders of Life (more recently the Festival Center) and will debut to guests in time for the Walt Disney World Resort 50th anniversary. [emph. added]​

The 50th Anniversary is in 2021. More specifically..

Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary (Oct 1, 2021)
  • Timeline: May 2021 to the end of 2022. [here]

Which leads to...

I heard May 2021 to 12/31/22 was considered. I’m sure there are many complexities to nailing down a date. But the announced projects can all complete by then. I expect the announced projects with one more at Epcot, an impressive entertainment package at all four parks, and a surprising number of significant ride refurbishments. What more could one ask for?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

Interesting mock-up (emphasis on mock) I saw on Twitter the other day. What do we think they'll do with the dome ceiling?

I'm OK with it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom