News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

UNCgolf

I don't hate IP, but I'd like a non-IP and relaxing attraction taking me to outer space. Disney became so desperate to replace slow attractions with thrill rides that they forgot about balance...

It's a mistake I've seen other companies make (video game companies have had some gigantic failures chasing the newest trend, ignoring the fact that different people enjoy different types of games). I think they believe the market for thrill rides is higher than for slow, dark rides, which is probably true, and so they need to focus on building more thrill rides -- but there are two problems with that.

The first problem is specific to Disney, in that they're generally considered a family park and have lots of young kids visiting. It doesn't align especially well with a significant part (almost certainly the majority) of the market base to build attractions that small children can't ride.

The second is that although thrill rides may have a larger overall fan base, not everyone prefers them to slow rides, and there are plenty of people who don't like them at all. When you're selling something like a theme park, you want to appeal to as many groups as possible. If you replace every slow/dark ride with a thrill ride (Disney isn't going to do this, but hypothetically for the sake of argument), you're going to lose all the people who prefer the other attractions, and you won't make up the difference in new attendance both because there are already people who come for the existing thrill rides (i.e. you're not tapping into a completely new market) and because people that solely want big thrills already have better options at other parks.

Last edited:

CJR

Not sure if this means anything, but the other night, it did look like work was going on inside. The lights were all on inside the pavilion with what looked like blue screens visible from the outside. I didn't take a photo as I noticed it in passing and we were already late leaving the park. If anyone happens to catch it though, definitely post a photo. It looked very interesting and seemed like it might be further along than it appeared to be.

Gran Fiesta

I'm assuming this won't be open for the 40th? It looks like they are hurrying GOTG and I'm assuming Journey of Water is next (I hope at least to get rid of the walls).

J4546

Looks like got and the rest of communicore will open fairly soon, clearing up that side of the park which will be nice. JoW seems like it's still a ways away, but once infrastructure is laid I bet it goes up pretty quickly

ppete1975

I mean, I'd still love a ride like this, though I'd want them adjusting the attraction vehicles to seat parties together:

View attachment 607170

I don't hate IP, but I'd like a non-IP and relaxing attraction taking me to outer space. Disney became so desperate to replace slow attractions with thrill rides that they forgot about balance...
we complain about riders per hour now... even constantly moving that couldnt have been great....

id still love it.. but just saying

James Alucobond

I'm assuming this won't be open for the 40th? It looks like they are hurrying GOTG and I'm assuming Journey of Water is next (I hope at least to get rid of the walls).
They have said all elements of EPCOT's transformation not currently on hold will be "complete" by the end of 2023. I would assume that means Cosmic Rewind, Connections, Dreamers Point, Moana, the festival area, and PLAY! will all be finished by then.

TikibirdLand

I guarantee it's going to be outdated and extinct in 15-20 years' time, but I can't wait until it's complete. Always wanted to go inside of there.
We got to go in WoL back when it was operational. I remember riding BW and looking at the exhibits. None of those really stood out though. I don't have a lot of memories of CC. I'm sorry to say we didn't spend enough time there while we had the chance.

Now that the kids are grown, I'm not sure we'll have a need to visit once Play! is open.

Haymarket2008

I'm a bit confused on Dreamers Point and its placement. Isn't it supposed to be where Project Tomorrow currently sits? If so, then how would that work with the postponed SSE refurb?

Not exactly. Dreamer’s Point is basically going to be everything from the former flower bed behind Project Tomorrow up until approximately where the Pin Station used to stand.

There were plans, it seems, to completely reconfigure Project Tomorrow and make a whole new exit building that would spill out onto Dreamer’s Point. Unclear if that is still happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom