News New Pirates of the Caribbean-themed lounge

lazyboy97o

Main Street Bakery and Casey's struggle because they were never built to handle the volume they now get and there's nothing else comparable in the middle of the park or near it's entrance/exit.

Also somewhat ridiculous that there's only two places in the entire park to get a quick serve burger?!
One of the real failures of New Fantasyland was not building essentially a second Casey’s in Storybook Circus.

eddie104

There are other locations not mentioned on this list like Cheshire Café, Storybook Treats, Auntie Gravities, Plaza Ice Cream and Lunching Pad.

But MK 100% has a dining capacity problem because it relies too much on small snack locations with limited menus that can't accommodate the crowds.

The only large scale cafeteria restaurants left in the park are Cosmic Rays, Pecos Bills, Pinocchio's and Columbia Harbor House. That's it. And why they're slammed all the time. Compare that with 8 sit down restaurants.

The park used to have The Adventureland Verandah, Tomorrowland Terrace and Crystal Palace used to be a "buffeteria" restaurant like Disneyland's Plaza Inn. Now two of those locations are higher priced, reservation locations with lower turnover and one is just closed outright.

Main Street Bakery and Casey's struggle because they were never built to handle the volume they now get and there's nothing else comparable in the middle of the park or near it's entrance/exit.

Also somewhat ridiculous that there's only two places in the entire park to get a quick serve burger?!

MK dining is a mess that until recently assumed the real demand was in table service dining that it was to be filled with DDP credits. Now there's an excess in table service capacity with no real plan to get back to high volume fast food.

There's a reason why Fantasy Springs was built with 3 big cafeteria restaurants. It's not just popularity, it's efficiency.
Thanks for educating me on the situation.

I’m sure some changes will be on the way eventually that will help alleviate some issues.

SilentWindODoom

I’m sure they’ll replace the capacity as soon as their done making up for the Tomorrowland Terrace and the Adventureland Veranda closures. They haven’t been closed that long.

I thought that the Veranda was the location taken by Skipper Canteen (and possibly park of Club 33). Is there more that's empty now?

In terms of QSRs, it feels like Sunshine Tree never gets a footing in a land with another, better known soft serve Dole product location. They have access to the Skippers Canteen kitchen and I wish they’d turn it into a Bengal Barbecue type place.

But sir the Citrus Swirl (that the technically do not have anymore, the original mix has been replaced with dole whip orange for a while now)

Is it possible to run the Dole Whip and Citrus Swirl out of the same stand with extra machines? Or do the Dole Whip lines turn away the Orange-lovers and eventually would see the company not consider it worthwhile to keep around losing us another piece of history?

EDIT: Weird. I refreshed right before sending this and a handful more posts showed up. Then I posted it and two more pages appeared.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I thought that the Veranda was the location taken by Skipper Canteen (and possibly park of Club 33). Is there more that's empty now?
Yes, the physical space of the Veranda has since been used by Skipper Canteen and Club 33. But, the Adventureland Veranda was a quick service location. Table service restaurants generally have less dense seating arrangements than a quick service restaurant, so their instantaneous capacity is typically lower. Turnover at a table service is also less frequent than quick service. All told, a quick service restaurant that’s the same physical size as a table service restaurant can have 2x - 3x the hourly capacity. Skipper Canteen has a fraction of the capacity of the Adventureland Veranda.

The Tomorrowland Terrace is quick service capacity that has been fully abandoned.

Be Our Guest switching exclusively to table service reduced its capacity for a nice chunk of the day.

Now Tortuga Tavern is being removed.

SilentWindODoom

Yes, the physical space of the Veranda has since been used by Skipper Canteen and Club 33. But, the Adventureland Veranda was a quick service location. Table service restaurants generally have less dense seating arrangements than a quick service restaurant, so their instantaneous capacity is typically lower. Turnover at a table service is also less frequent than quick service. All told, a quick service restaurant that’s the same physical size as a table service restaurant can have 2x - 3x the hourly capacity. Skipper Canteen has a fraction of the capacity of the Adventureland Veranda.

The Tomorrowland Terrace is quick service capacity that has been fully abandoned.

Be Our Guest switching exclusively to table service reduced its capacity for a nice chunk of the day.

Now Tortuga Tavern is being removed.

I meant is there more space that used to be the Veranda that wasn't taken up by these spaces. I didn't realize you were speaking on replacing lost Quick Service offerings with new Quick Service offerings. I thought you were speaking on the spaces these restaurants were inhabiting lying empty.

I'd been a while since I've visited the Magic Kingdom. I'm used to seeing Tortuga empty. I didn't know there was such a need for such dining. Seemed supply far outpaced demand.

V_L_Raptor

It's been a while since I've been to an afterhours event, but are these otherwise shuttered locations being used for those kinds of things at all? I think Tomorrowland Terrace had at one point been used for dessert parties.

Capacity at an upcharge seems to be in line with current WDW's priorities... above the necessary upcharge of buying a meal at a restaurant venue, of course.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not a fan of this, so the only thing between Casey’s and Pecos is ice cream stands
Other than Crystal Palace and Skipper Canteen, yes, totally devoid of food options. And if you go the other route, again, absolutely nothing other that Sleepy Hollow, Harbor House, the fruit stand, and Liberty Inn, and two food carts.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom