New Pavilion (Spain) at Epcot?

Jeff D

Another country I've always thought about is New Zealand. I know alot of people associate it with Australia but is not. It is a very beautiful country that could have a wonderful pavilion. It has strong American connections too so that would help with drawing interest. Alot of Americans live in that country.

Katherine

I think it will be awesome to have Spain! Epcot needed a new country and Spain is as good a canidate as anyone else. I think your right a New Zealand/Australia section would be prett kewl!

WDWGarden

I am 90% sure they are talking about the Food & Wine display that is being built for Spain...a quote from the press release in the F & W info thread in News & Rumours...

"An exciting new “Discover Andalucia, Spain!” cultural experience celebrates the region’s olives and olive oils, famous tapas, fine sherries, skilled craftsmen and dazzling Flamenco dancers."

I can say for sure that the wall between Outpost and Germany is for this display and it is much more substantial than a wine tasting tent that has been used in the past. The art that I've seen is pretty incredible for a temporary display. It is, however, temporary...

But who knows...maybe there are bigger plans in the works...

jcrb

Originally posted by kwt10
Sounds interesting. I just wonder where they will put the new pavillion? I guess in the spot where the Coke outpost is now. But that is just a guess.

I don't think they will replace the coke outpost. I think they will put it near . Why, well the coke outpost is a nice resting spot and makes money.

pheneix

I'm going to second the "Food and Wine Festival" exhibit that WDW Garden discussed as the source of the press release.

I have also read that this could be a bunch of hot air (remember that every 1st and 2nd world country in the world has said, "we're getting a Disneyland" at some time or another), but I'm still looking for confirmation.

This still seems too suspicous, and too sudden, to be considered as a new pavilion or country.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Going clockwise, starting with the upper right quadrant, the original Epcot layout...

Italy
Great Brittain
Safari Africa
France
Mexico

Lower Right quadrant...

Scandinavia
Israel
Korea
Canada
Saudi Arabia

Lower Left..

Morocco
Costa Rica
Taiwan
Australia/New Zealand
Swtizerland

Upper left..

Holland
W. Germany
Brazil
Japan
Holland

No Spain. :(

Plus, nothing seems to be in the same place as planned...

Ones with major show buildings depicted..

Mexico
Saudi Arabia
Morocco
W. Germany
Japan

Add some modern knowledge.. Germany's show area became Norway, Mexico was built as planned, Morocco's design depicted is similar to the current layout - large but no ride really. Japan has the show building but it is mostly unused. The only thing left is Saudi Arabia which was never built as a large show building or a pavillion at all.

-Rob

dalton30720

The drawing I saw 3 weeks ago showed a second semi-circle of countries behind the current countries with walkways connecting the 2 areas at Morroco/Japan, the Outpost, and Mexico/Norway. But, I didn't see Spain on the drawing. Does anyone else have any info about this?

Matt56

Originally posted by dalton30720
The drawing I saw 3 weeks ago showed a second semi-circle of countries behind the current countries with walkways connecting the 2 areas at Morroco/Japan, the Outpost, and Mexico/Norway. But, I didn't see Spain on the drawing. Does anyone else have any info about this?

Is this drawling futuristic or was it the original concept art showing all the proposed countries?

dalton30720

Originally posted by Matt56

Is this drawling futuristic or was it the original concept art showing all the proposed countries?

No. The original concept art was there too. This seemed to be a scaled-back version of the original plan and was dated May 2002.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I still hope! My family is directly traced back to Spain, and I LOVE IT THERE! I'm guessing the only 2 sponsors I could think of for it would either be Iberia (Spanish National Airline) or Banco Bilbao Vizcaya (one of the largest banks in the world and the US)

Debbie

I have my fingers crossed this will come through. World Showcase has been in need of additions. We hardly ever go there especially with the boys. My very first thread I posted when I joined these boards was about the lack of additional countries. With folks hesitant to travel abroad, I feel this would give them a good 'feel' about some of these countries and could give them an idea to travel to them.

MicBat

In the book my parents got when they went to the Epcot inauguration, there's a list of "coming soon" countries. They included something like Isreal, Equitorial Africa, some other countries and Spain... :)

Lance

Yeah, I mean Israel is a huge ally, but then again this isn't a U.S. Foreign Affairs showcase, guess I'll have to wait on my Israel Pavilion....

I think it's gonna be in the Africa Outpost, or like horizons83 said, there is an awful lot of room between France and Morroco, you can't help but notice walking by this long stretch of nothing, it's where ToD exits, but still, I think it's great real estate. Real-life neighbors end up as Epcot neighbors, I can see it happening....

TURKEY

Here's an article from the Orlando Sentinel about this project.

Epcot considers Spanish pavilion
By Robert Johnson
Sentinel Staff Writer

September 28, 2002

Walt Disney World executives are meeting with Spanish officials in Madrid this week to discuss making Spain the theme of Epcot's 11th international pavilion in its World Showcase section.

The new attraction, if built, would be the first new foreign-sponsored pavilion at Epcot since Norway debuted in 1988.

"We're honored to send a delegation of executives to meet with Spanish officials," Disney World spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said. But she added that the new pavilion "isn't a done deal."

The idea for the pavilion was suggested recently by Spain's Economy and Treasury Ministry.

The exhibit might be modeled at least in part on the historic walled city of Toledo, combined with models of buildings in Barcelona and Madrid, said Steve Baker, a former Epcot executive who arranged for the original eight pavilions at World Showcase.

Baker said that he and other Disney executives wooed Spanish officials to be among the original nations exhibiting at Epcot. But at the time, Disney was also scouting Spain as a possible theme park site. When Disney decided to expand to Paris instead of in Spain, "The Spanish participation in Epcot just kind of got lost," Baker said.

"I think Spain, with its romance and unique food, is different enough from anything in Epcot to be very successful," Baker said.

Although Disney World is occasionally approached by representatives of foreign nations about sponsoring additional pavilions, park officials are usually more reserved in their reactions.

For example, last January, when a contingent of Korean leaders approached Disney World, spokesman Bill Warren was blunt. "There are no plans to add a Korean pavilion. There is no constructive point to having discussions about that."

But Polak voiced much higher interest in Spain. Although she didn't have details of the proposed pavilion -- which usually consists of exhibits, a restaurant and sometimes a tour movie and a ride -- she said it would "showcase the history and what today's Spain is like."

The existing pavilions have, in some cases, other entertainment such as live music.

The original eight from 1982 represent tourism biggies: Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Italy, Mexico and the United Kingdom.

Smaller nations, Morocco and Norway, came in 1984 and 1988, respectively.

All those pavilions share at least one financial characteristic: Disney didn't pay to build them.

Building a pavilion when Disney gives permission is at least a $50 million project, said Baker, who is now president of Baker Leisure Group, an Orlando-based entertainment consulting firm.

There are 50 or so employees, all paid by the host nation or a representative group that foots the pavilion's bills. The pavilion's costs are usually shared by international corporations, industry trade groups and other private contributors.

The pavilions' operators also pay rent to Disney, as well as a share of the merchandising proceeds.

Robert Johnson can be reached at 407-420-5664 or rwjohnson@orlandosentinel.com.
Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...8,0,2981506.story?coll=orl-business-headlines

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom