New Passholder Best Rate Program

Jekyll Baker

Just saw this topic on another site/forum and didn't know if anyone here knew about it yet.

This is from the Passholder page:

Planning a vacation in a few months? Then it's time to try our Passholder Best Rate Program! Now Passholders booking a Disney Resort room online under the Passholder Best Rate Program at disneyworld.com/passholders can rest easy knowing they have received our best room rate offered to the general public* at that time for the room and nights booked. And, if we subsequently reduce our room rate to the general public for the same room and nights you booked online under this Program, we will automatically reduce your room rate to match that lower rate.

Rooms must be booked at least 120 days in advance and, unlike our normal cancellation policy, a non-refundable deposit of 1-night's room charge and tax must be paid at the time of booking. Currently this program is only available for arrivals through 12/19/05. The number of rooms and nights available for this Program is limited and rooms are not available every night. This Program is subject to change or discontinuance at any time and without notice.

* Does not include group rates, auction rates or rates conditioned on group/club memberships or other specified eligibility requirements.

It's access through the passholder section of disneyworld.com, and let's you book through what looks like the regular booking engine. I looked at it briefly, but since AP rates for 120 days away haven't really been announced, it gives rack rates. So you'd be leaving it up to Disney what price you end up paying.

I dunno 'bout 'dis. What ya'll think?

brkgnews

Mousesavers raises an interesting point...

The "Best Rate Program" supposedly is available from 10/8/05 through 11/26/05 or 12/19/05 (depending on which source you consult). However, no discounts are currently showing up when you try to book any of those dates. I don't know if discounts are coming soon, or not at all.

So... do you think that maybe, as Belle says, this is just a test? Perhaps they're waiting to see if anybody actually books under this (presumably) cockamanie scheme. Since it's "over" in December, that gives them time to throw it under the bus if no one books it. If everyone goes ape and starts to book the new plan, they can pull the same baloney they pulled when they got rid of surprise mornings the first time. "You said you wanted more characters..."

BTW -- in defense of JPVD, if he were truly just trying to "save his job," then he'd always be telling us to call and get them to figure it out, instead of telling us what to look out for.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

JPVD is THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never dealt with him as a CRO (or at least I didnt know if I did!!) but he has always been great here on the boards on giving us the most accurate information and from the best Sources!!! Thanks for all your hard work JP!!! Belle

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

wannabeBelle said:
JPVD is THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never dealt with him as a CRO (or at least I didnt know if I did!!) but he has always been great here on the boards on giving us the most accurate information and from the best Sources!!! Thanks for all your hard work JP!!! Belle
Yuppers! What she said :)

Something is pretty fishy about this, though... Has anyone seen whether or not they are getting rid of the "old" system. The wording for this one seems to indicate that it is a "new" system, but not a replacement.

God, I hope so. Just bought an AP for the DDE and (especially) for the discounted room rates. It would really tick me off if they got rid of it after I had finally caught on!!! (Although that would be my karma, showing up to boot me in the butt one more time...)

Upvote 0

tonypitt

This has several huge downsides for me. As a Florida resident, my wife and I like to take weekend trips to WDW. (It's about a 7 hour drive for us.) With our schedules, we rarely can plan these more than a month in advance. Several times in the past few months we've booked AP rates a week or less before arrival. Except for major vacations, there's no way 120 days in advance works for us.

Does anyone know if this means the end of the Florida resident rates?

I did think it odd that on our last 2 hotel stays, we got better rates (or at least had available discounts) using our FL resident status than our AP.

I think Disney's shooting themselves in the foot here. After buying our AP last Christmas, my wife and I have visited WDW at least 5 times, each time staying in a moderate or deluxe resort and dining with Disney. There's no way we would have made these trips without the incentive the AP provides (and believe me, Disney got plenty of our money).

Upvote 0

MaxPower

My work takes me to FLA usually once a quarter, but I never know the exact dates 120 days in advance. Under the old program it was easy to take the family and enjoy a long weekend. I realize my situation isn't the norm, but I wonder how many people, APs or not, plan their WDW trip more than 120 days in advance?

Upvote 0

drp4video

Exactly. WIthout the AP discount on the room, I will not be going as often, therefore, Disney loses money, not just on the room, but on food and souveniers.

Upvote 0

AEfx

drp4video said:
Exactly. WIthout the AP discount on the room, I will not be going as often, therefore, Disney loses money, not just on the room, but on food and souveniers.

Agreed here.

While buying an AP just for the discounts has never been advisable, with the new MYW tickets I'll be having a hard time renewing because I simply won't be going as often.

I almost never book more than 2-3 months in advance, and I am not sure what to think about the "non-refundable" part. Can it be transfered, or do you loose it period?

We need a lot more information before we pass total judgement, but from the looks of this it isn't good. This may very well reduce me to 1 - 2 trips a year from 4 - 6. That's a lot of Brown Derby fantasmic packages and a ton of other cash Disney won't see from me.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out - I'll be watching it closely with everyone else.

AEfx

Upvote 0

GymLeaderPhil

This is obviously targeting non-locals to come down during the "Hurricane Season" and should another one hit the state, Disney is still cashing in from the non-refundable one night deposit.

However, should the fear of hurricanes affect attendance, room rates might plunge... who knows?

Upvote 0

elle72688

ITA with what other's have been posting.

What scares me is:
1. Booking 120 days in advance or more
2. Non-refundable one nights deposit
3. Best room rate offered to the general public (which doesn't include pin codes, group rates, etc.) This year other than the MYW+free dining promotion there have been no room only dicounts that I'm aware of.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

hmmmmmm this is all very very odd. Glad I have gotten my room at Poly booked with a discounted rate for October by other means than waiting for the AP discounts to come out. I'll carefully watching to see what actually happens with AP rates for October-November before I have to renew my AP in mid-November.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

First, let me state that I am not against this offer. I’m sorry if I came across as such. It will benefit some guest and not others, and I personally will still be booking Annual Passholder rates for guest coming within 120 days. I just wanted to give a friendly warning about the terms…

So here are the facts on the Passholder “Best Rate” Program offer:

This discount offer can only be booked online at the Passholder website (www.disneyworld.com/passholder). Passholder discount offers will still be available thru 1-407-W-DISNEY but the discount percentage will be greater if booked online with this Program. The online offer is guaranteed to be the best offer* available at the time of the booking for the travel period offered. If Disney subsequently reduces the room rate to the general public* for the same room and nights you booked online under the program, Disney will automatically reduce your room rate to match that lower rate.

The reservation must be made at least 120 days prior to arrival date. Currently the program is only available for arrivals through 12/19/05. An adult Passholder using the Passholder’s credit card must make the reservation. The adult Passholder MUST be part of the traveling party. Only one room can be booked per reservation.

You can book this offer using an Annual Pass Exchange Voucher ID number, and your voucher will then be validated by the website at the time of the booking.

A one-night NON-REFUNDABLE credit card payment is required at the time of booking. No further payments can be made by phone or mail; the balance is due at check-in at the resort. The Passholder must present their valid annual pass at check-in.

A Modification Penalty of $50 will be charged for any changes to the length of stay, party size, room type, resort, arrival/departure dates, or to change child’s age. All modifications must be made by phone, and can be made up to the day prior to arrival.

The number of rooms and nights available for this Program is limited and rooms are not available every night. This Program is subject to change or discontinuance at any time and without notice.

*Does not include group rates, auction rates, or rates conditioned on group/club memberships or other specified eligibility requirements. Note that Disney considers Passholder rates, Florida Resident rates and any broad offer (advertised on disneyworld.com or in local newspapers, tv ads, etc) to be general public discount offers.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

AEfx

Thanks so much for the info, JPVD.

I feel a little bit better, but that "modification penalty" creeps me out. One of the things I liked about Disney was the ease with which modifications could be made.

We'll have to see what the rates look like when they come out...unless the difference is substantial, I will likely go the "old" route, when possible.

AEfx

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
AEfx said:
Thanks so much for the info, JPVD.

I feel a little bit better, but that "modification penalty" creeps me out. One of the things I liked about Disney was the ease with which modifications could be made.

AEfx

That's one of the things Disney dislikes people doing with their ressies. Tons of folks book rack rate, then get a discount code, and switch to the lower rate. Excluding the obvious loss on the amount for the room itself - it's a waste of man power, media, etc, to book and rebook so often.

Upvote 0

AEfx

mousermerf said:
That's one of the things Disney dislikes people doing with their ressies. Tons of folks book rack rate, then get a discount code, and switch to the lower rate. Excluding the obvious loss on the amount for the room itself - it's a waste of man power, media, etc, to book and rebook so often.

That may be the case, but it wasn't what I was refering to. I know some people do that as practice; I never travel during "busy" seasons so I've never done that "trick".

I was simply refering to the fact that life changes happen, and dates change. It's been nice to know before that I had some flexibility with my reservation - as JPVD said, "length of stay, party size, room type, resort, arrival/departure dates, or to change child’s age".

That's a whole lot more restrictions than just preventing people from switching rates - I'd have had no problem if they did a "fix" for that. It's crazy that I'd have to pay $50 just to take someone off my ressie if for some reason they can't come, or even adding someone to my room if it doesn't change the rate.

If their goal is to reduce the work at CRO, I'd think they'd start at letting us make PS's online.

AEfx

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
There's no fair way to do PS's (now AR's actually) online.

One of the few checks against hoarders are the fact that when they call in they often are interesting people that get a CM interested enough to have them "look them up" and figure out their multiple bookings.

Upvote 0

brkgnews

JPVonDrake said:
Passholder discount offers will still be available thru 1-407-W-DISNEY but the discount percentage will be greater if booked online with this Program.
Note that Disney considers Passholder rates, Florida Resident rates and any broad offer (advertised on disneyworld.com or in local newspapers, tv ads, etc) to be general public discount offers.

JVPD, I think I'm still missing the point here.

Let's say that I decide now to book a trip in December, and that the rack rate is $90 (purely random figure). I use the new best rate plan. Sometime around October, they announce the new passholder rate for late fall/early winter is $60 (again, random number). My rate automatically drops to that rate. Where's the difference in doing it this way or waiting until the new codes come out and doing it the old way? My room's still the same price, right? I'm not getting how the discount would be greater. Unless, for instance, they come out with a Florida rate that's cheaper than the passholder rate. Or, if there's a new TV offer that's cheaper. But if last September is any indication, the TV offer and the passholder offer were exactly the same. Either way, I can't see saving more than a few bucks a night. So very very confused. :hammer:

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

brkgnews said:
JVPD, I think I'm still missing the point here.

Let's say that I decide now to book a trip in December, and that the rack rate is $90 (purely random figure). I use the new best rate plan. Sometime around October, they announce the new passholder rate for late fall/early winter is $60 (again, random number). My rate automatically drops to that rate. Where's the difference in doing it this way or waiting until the new codes come out and doing it the old way? My room's still the same price, right? I'm not getting how the discount would be greater. Unless, for instance, they come out with a Florida rate that's cheaper than the passholder rate. Or, if there's a new TV offer that's cheaper. But if last September is any indication, the TV offer and the passholder offer were exactly the same. Either way, I can't see saving more than a few bucks a night. So very very confused. :hammer:

First, as Master Yoda stated, its an automated Pam. You book at the "best rate" available 4 months out, then if and when a passholder rate comes out, the system will automatically reduce your rate to the online passholder rate. If any other general public offer comes out that is greater then the price you are booked at, your rate is matched to that offer.

Secondly, there will now be 2 different passholder offers for any travel period. The online "best rate" offer and the 407-W-DISNEY offer. The "best rate" online offer will always be a greater discount.

Third, you can still book this "best rate" offer through a travel agent such as the board's favorite Kingdom Konsultants, and Pam (or you) will not need to do the leg work of checking when the offer drops and calling back to modify.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Hey JP,

I knew that I would be able to start doing the AP rates and the FL residents rates on the travel agents site soon, and I thought that was really great. But I am very leary of the non refundable deposit. I don't think that it's right, it's like they have you over a barrel. What if the rates don't come out. I have a LOT of WDWMagic clients who book with me exclusively and I would say 50% of those people are AP holders.
I also don't like the fact that they are going to start imposing all those change fees. I personally would rather do it the old way. It's more work for me, but at least they are not losing their deposit. By losing a small percentage of savings, I would rather call in the reservation and keep it the way it always has been.

Pam

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom