New park maps?

Epcot82Guy

I like the physical change. I love the big maps personally, but I know they were an inconvenience for many. I do think the descriptions could use a little work. I realize there is only so much you can do with a few words, but spinning outdoor ride leaves a bit to be desired.

Vernonpush

Sounds like Kodak is getting cheap. I love the "old" maps, I always bring home my maps (and a few extras) for friends who will be visiting the parks soon. It is so much fun to have a packet of park maps to give to friends when you hear that they are going and you knoe that they are not Disney-junkies like I am. They get a better feel of what all is in each park.

tracyandalex

as of last week, the old maps were still being used. all of our maps had the fold in the middles with the tri fold. better descriptions would be nice.

tracy & alex

wannab@dis

The size change sounds great to me. I'm sure Disney will react to guest input on descriptions that may need to be tweaked. I bet they will make smaller orders while they look at feedback and adjust the maps as needed.

Maybe one of our regulars can grab a sampling of the new maps and scan and post them as soon as they are available.

goofntink

Animal Kingdom Already had them for Everest Grand opening, Magic Kingdom got them today. They are folded 5 times across, and don't fold up and down anymore. Miss the old book style maps from the 80's:cry: Since I'm still here at the park,I go back in and get one, and I'll try and scan it when I get home later, if somebody doesn't beat me to it.:)

goofntink

Yup ,sure do. Surprised with technology these days they haven't made a download you get have sent to your mobile phone, or pda.:rolleyes:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I remember the staples (I have at least one from 1981-ish)! And the 80's park maps.... and the fold-up style maps used as of last week... ;) (I grabbed several of each.. especially MK [no more Stitch!!! :sohappy: and AK for E:E)

Pushing park maps digitally is still far out - most people I know don't have Internet access with their phones. PDA's... that could be another story, but their use isn't as widespread as cell phones.

JROK

Busch Gardens and Sea World don't even use folded maps... they're basically just big sheets of cheap paper that look like a placemat at a restaurant... I hardly get a map anymore... I used to get them to collect the amount of times I visited each park in a year, but after I filled my drawer with maps I figured it was time to stop... That and all I do is throw it in my backpack to carry around all day... who needs maps? Out of the people on this board at least? :p

JROK

HauntedPirate said:
Pushing park maps digitally is still far out - most people I know don't have Internet access with their phones. PDA's... that could be another story, but their use isn't as widespread as cell phones.

That and who would want to get out their cellphone with its small screen and go, "Ok so we're... um... I think here... let me zoom in... ok were there and want to get... hold on let me zoom out and scroll... over here... ok..." When they can just whip out the paper map and see everything at once? Plus, people have a hard enough time trying to read the maps and figure out how to get from one attraction to the other as it is... Adding technology would just make it that much worse...

DisneyMarg

I thought the maps in the DIsney Passporter were great. They fit neatly on one 8x11 page, and include the time it takes to walk from point to point in the parks. I copied them and had them laminated for handy reference in the parks.

That was about the only thing I got out of the Passporter that I couldn't have gotten (for less) elsewhere.

Oh, and I was at AK last week and got a new map, but didn't realize it as such. In fact, my first response to this thread was that they weren't out yet, but then when I read that they were out in AK I realized that yes, I did have one. People who are less observant than those on the boards won't even notice the change. They have the same look and feel - just one less fold.

JEDIsney

I liked the big maps that were originally used.

But I suppose that these new maps are better. They're smaller, so it takes up less space and I guess it's not as confusing as the original maps, even though I didn't find them confusing in the first place.

I do wish there were better descriptions, though. The maps were always fun to read over and over again while waiting on line for a ride or eating lunch. I would seriously read the maps all the time while at the parks, just for fun.

And before we left to go home, I would always grab a new and clean map to bring home as a souvenir. I have ones from 1998 to 2005, and they're all still flat with no wrinkles.

goofntink

I wonder also why haven't they ever gotten any," You Are Here" type kiosk signs made for the different areas of the park? Like the one's you see in mall.:eek: Whoops....dummy don't give any more dumb ideas!!!:lol:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
New map.. with silly attraction descriptions..

zmap132fl.jpg

Tim G

mousermerf said:
New map.. with silly attraction descriptions..

A typical "Iger" touched map... There's even a small personal note on the back...

________________NOTE:____________________
In case of cutting yourself on the sharp edges of the map,
please wave the nearest CM and we'll gladly suply you on
your next visit, with a safe full cotton one, nice and soft.

Have a Magical Day.

Robert Iger.
CEO Walt Disney Company.

LSUxStitch

MmmMmM cotton maps! Well that makes me think they should just print small maps on napkins .... Easy to carry around, and great for a runny nose lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom